Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:24 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playstation4Evr View Post
BECAUSE, why would i stay in upstate new york for my entire life when i could be somewhere where i can enjoy my life.

Well that's part of the problem. Sure, the weather is nice but if you can't afford to live here then you won't get to "enjoy your life". Upstate NY is MUCH cheaper than NYC or SD areas. I'm not sure how the economy or job market is there but I'd venture to bet it's less competitive vs. San Diego.

No one is telling you not to come. Only to really take a good look at the advice given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 12:51 AM

86 posts, read 153,381 times
San Diego is a GREAT place to live and work if you can afford it. The weather is great, lots of outdoor activities, most of them free, coastline dotted with beaches and many more.

The OP said he'll visit beforehand to checkout the landsacpe and have a feel for the city and I think that's great. But the OP needs to know that San Diego has its "dark" side and that's the price you pay to live here. It's expensive, infact so expensive it ranks on the Forbes top 5 most expensive cities in the US right after NYC and San Francisco. The fact is there are more opportunities in NYC and San Fran when it comes to jobs than in San Diego, and the pay is better in most areas than San Diego.

The OP did not indicate how much he's making in NY, and whether he's looking to rent or buy when he comes to San Diego (if that's the city he ends up choosing), but he'll need to make a certain amount in order to survive and enjoy what San Diego has to offer.

I have no idea how much barbers make - average hourly wages or salaries in San Diego county and am not sure if one can survive on $10 an hour if that's the average hourly wage. There are a lot of low income families living in San Diego on $35K a year or maybe even below, so yes while you can make it on that salary, you'll feel like you have to work 8 days in a week (don't know where you get the additional day from), but that's what you'll feel like especially if you don't have family who can lend a hand when you need it most.

But here's what I'd say - it doesn't make any sense to me to live in place that depresses me, make me unhappy even if I make good money to support my lifestyle. If you're frugal, and all you need is the bare minimum to get by, you can live in San Diego easily. The question is what's your definition of bare minimum? Living paycheck to paycheck? or being able to put a little away for that rainy day or save a little towards your retirement? I have my own definition...but to each his own.

I have a friend in the medical field that made good money in Arizona, but hated living in the scorching heat so much so, he sold his practice and got out of town. Obviously am not comparing my friend's scenario to the OP's - it'll be like comparing apples to oranges. My friend is a dentist and he can pretty much live and work anywhere...well he lives in Del Mar now.

As another poster put it, you have to be willing to give up something in order to make the move happen. Some people are willing to give up being homeowners in another State/city to move to San Diego and just rent a small place for a long time. It's all about how you have your priorities lined up.

The OP should make a few inquiries on how much he can expect to be paid and from there determine what he can and can't afford. Not knowing that basic info would be tough to give any specifics on the lifestyle he can expect....I'd say when you come visit, go to some of the barber shops, ask questions - have a barber to barber talk, heck go get a hair cut, strike up a conversation and get the basic info you need to help you decide if San Diego is the place for you.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:06 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2SD View Post
San Diego is a GREAT place to live and work if you can afford it. The weather is great, lots of outdoor activities, most of them free, coastline dotted with beaches and many more.

The OP said he'll visit beforehand to checkout the landsacpe and have a feel for the city and I think that's great. But the OP needs to know that San Diego has its "dark" side and that's the price you pay to live here. It's expensive, infact so expensive it ranks on the Forbes top 5 most expensive cities in the US right after NYC and San Francisco. The fact is there are more opportunities in NYC and San Fran when it comes to jobs than in San Diego, and the pay is better in most areas than San Diego.

The OP did not indicate how much he's making in NY, and whether he's looking to rent or buy when he comes to San Diego (if that's the city he ends up choosing), but he'll need to make a certain amount in order to survive and enjoy what San Diego has to offer.

I have no idea how much barbers make - average hourly wages or salaries in San Diego county and am not sure if one can survive on $10 an hour if that's the average hourly wage. There are a lot of low income families living in San Diego on $35K a year or maybe even below, so yes while you can make it on that salary, you'll feel like you have to work 8 days in a week (don't know where you get the additional day from), but that's what you'll feel like especially if you don't have family who can lend a hand when you need it most.

But here's what I'd say - it doesn't make any sense to me to live in place that depresses me, make me unhappy even if I make good money to support my lifestyle. If you're frugal, and all you need is the bare minimum to get by, you can live in San Diego easily. The question is what's your definition of bare minimum? Living paycheck to paycheck? or being able to put a little away for that rainy day or save a little towards your retirement? I have my own definition...but to each his own.

I have a friend in the medical field that made good money in Arizona, but hated living in the scorching heat so much so, he sold his practice and got out of town. Obviously am not comparing my friend's scenario to the OP's - it'll be like comparing apples to oranges. My friend is a dentist and he can pretty much live and work anywhere...well he lives in Del Mar now.

As another poster put it, you have to be willing to give up something in order to make the move happen. Some people are willing to give up being homeowners in another State/city to move to San Diego and just rent a small place for a long time. It's all about how you have your priorities lined up.

The OP should make a few inquiries on how much he can expect to be paid and from there determine what he can and can't afford. Not knowing that basic info would be tough to give any specifics on the lifestyle he can expect....I'd say when you come visit, go to some of the barber shops, ask questions - have a barber to barber talk, heck go get a hair cut, strike up a conversation and get the basic info you need to help you decide if San Diego is the place for you.
This is an excellent post.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:11 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
If you really want to move there is nothing stopping you. The bad thing is that your problems will follow you wherever you live and if you move away from everyone and everything you've ever known you may not be as happy somewhere else as you think. Maybe you will though.

The beauty is you can pack up and leave and move anywhere you want whenever you like . All you need is some $ to do it.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2SD View Post
I'd say when you come visit, go to some of the barber shops, ask questions - have a barber to barber talk, heck go get a hair cut, strike up a conversation and get the basic info you need to help you decide if San Diego is the place for you.
This is a great suggestion! Networking and connecting with others in your field is a great idea.

Do you have a regional professional group that you participate in? Trying to reach out and network with professional groups could help you make some connections and get a better idea of the job market for your field. See if you can meet some folks who have experience in CA.

San Diego and other CA coastal areas may end up being too expensive for you at this point in your career, but you may do fine in other parts of CA, like the Central Valley area or some of the less expensive inland areas, and you may still prefer them to upstate NY.

Or you may wish to head south along the East Coast. Some parts of VA, NC, GA, etc. may have more of what you are looking for with a lower cost of living than coastal CA and better economies than CA or upstate NY.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
The thing most people don't realize is what really is 'living the life' if you wind up in places like Escondido or Alpine or Ramona or El cajon. Nice places in themselves, but those places exist everywhere in the US. So if you move to San Diego and can't afford to live near the beach or downtown, you wind up living in El Cajon and so on. Cheaper. But what lifestyle are you living then? You aren't going to make a 45 minute drive to the beach that often. You probably aren't going to drive downtown that often just to hang out.

When people say San Diego is the 'best place on earth' they don't realize many people live in places like El Cajon, Escondido and so on where it gets very very hot in the summers and you could be blindfolded, picked up, dumped off, and have no clue what state you were in. They aren't exactly "well this is why I love San Diego."

it's like anywhere. People want to move to San Fran, but wind up an hour away due to costs. They aren't really living the life like they thought. People want to live in NYC, but wind up on Long Island, Queens, Hoboken, Staten Island, etc. They aren't exactly living the 'NYC' life as portrayed on tv.

If you just want to move to the beach, have a few roommates in a small place, and then leave in a few years, then go for it. If you think moving from anywhere to live 'the life' in El Cajon is all its cracked up to be, you will be in for a rude surprise.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:30 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
The thing most people don't realize is what really is 'living the life' if you wind up in places like Escondido or Alpine or Ramona or El cajon. Nice places in themselves, but those places exist everywhere in the US. So if you move to San Diego and can't afford to live near the beach or downtown, you wind up living in El Cajon and so on. Cheaper. But what lifestyle are you living then? You aren't going to make a 45 minute drive to the beach that often. You probably aren't going to drive downtown that often just to hang out.

When people say San Diego is the 'best place on earth' they don't realize many people live in places like El Cajon, Escondido and so on where it gets very very hot in the summers and you could be blindfolded, picked up, dumped off, and have no clue what state you were in. They aren't exactly "well this is why I love San Diego."

it's like anywhere. People want to move to San Fran, but wind up an hour away due to costs. They aren't really living the life like they thought. People want to live in NYC, but wind up on Long Island, Queens, Hoboken, Staten Island, etc. They aren't exactly living the 'NYC' life as portrayed on tv.

If you just want to move to the beach, have a few roommates in a small place, and then leave in a few years, then go for it. If you think moving from anywhere to live 'the life' in El Cajon is all its cracked up to be, you will be in for a rude surprise.

I totally agree with this to a certain extent.

There is the postcard version of SD that is so highly touted for obvious reasons. Then there is the daily grind version for the working person that lives away from postcard SD. There is a price tag that goes with postcard versions, ONLY if you have expectations that are in line with getting that life. The reason I disagree to a certain extent is because there are PLENTY of people that I have met out in my area that are well off and PREFER to live inland. Yes there are million dollar plus neighborhoods away from the coast, but in all fairness isnt the idyllic version of SD mentioned above. Its 'normal'.

For example, I live in an area that is like anywhere else USA, but with the benefits of being a hop, skip and a jump away from all the great things SD has. Which for us, doesnt feel like we are missing too much. And no way is it even remotely similar to NYC Burroughs where there is FAR FAR more density in between to create a visible line of segregation between areas.

We go out just as much as when we lived downtown and have friends all over the county. When you 'think and act' local, its a different mindset than thinking I want to live where I vacation. Some people can afford to have the best of both worlds and more power to them. We dont feel at this point in our lives, that is a premium we are willing to pay for. But no question, I think this is the part that people underestimate. The expectations of moving here and LIVING here for the long term, not just coming out to 'try' or party it up with housing and jobs clearly being the biggest obstacles.

I always summed it up as the coastal areas are similar the stage and actors of a production and the inland areas are like the backstage of a production. Not one better than the other, just different.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I totally agree with this to a certain extent.

There is the postcard version of SD that is so highly touted for obvious reasons. Then there is the daily grind version for the working person that lives away from postcard SD. There is a price tag that goes with postcard versions, ONLY if you have expectations that are in line with getting that life. The reason I disagree to a certain extent is because there are PLENTY of people that I have met out in my area that are well off and PREFER to live inland. Yes there are million dollar plus neighborhoods away from the coast, but in all fairness isnt the idyllic version of SD mentioned above. Its 'normal'.

For example, I live in an area that is like anywhere else USA, but with the benefits of being a hop, skip and a jump away from all the great things SD has. Which for us, doesnt feel like we are missing too much. And no way is it even remotely similar to NYC Burroughs where there is FAR FAR more density in between to create a visible line of segregation between areas.

We go out just as much as when we lived downtown and have friends all over the county. When you 'think and act' local, its a different mindset than thinking I want to live where I vacation. Some people can afford to have the best of both worlds and more power to them. We dont feel at this point in our lives, that is a premium we are willing to pay for. But no question, I think this is the part that people underestimate. The expectations of moving here and LIVING here for the long term, not just coming out to 'try' or party it up with housing and jobs clearly being the biggest obstacles.

I always summed it up as the coastal areas are similar the stage and actors of a production and the inland areas are like the backstage of a production. Not one better than the other, just different.

I agree that you can live inland and have a wonderful life. If you like that life. But for a lot of people who hop on a plane or dream of 'southern california' place like Poway and Escondido and Rancho Bernardo aren't exactly what they had in mind. And people do wind up living and doing things where they live. No matter where they live.. If you live in Escondido, you probably aren't a beach person. Or you used to be but couldn't afford it or became a bit old to live with 4 other roommates in a small place just to be close to the beach. That happens.

People tend to spend most of their time around where they live, it's just the way things happen. Nobody really wants to drive an hour to go downtown, if you just drove 45 minutes back home from work. This happens no matter where you seem to live. Blocks are started this way. Friendships, enemies, etc form because of this. If you live in Escondido and work someplace else, you probably go grocery shopping, eat out, etc in Escondido. Once in a while you'll wind up going out to places downtown, to the beach, etc but as time goes on, the theory of "i can surf and go snowboarding" all in the same day becomes more postcard material than reality.

When I lived in PB, most of the people I seemed to meet, always hung out in PB. Going downtown was a once in a while thing. Then when I lived downtown and started hanging out downtown, I met many people who never went to PB. Thought it was "that 22 year old drunk on street" kind of place. I Liked PB so I tried to go back as often as I could. But after awhile it became, I don't want to search for parkind, I don't want to spend 50 bucks, one way, on a cab ride, etc.

Most people like convenience. Quick trips. If your local bar, restaurant, store, etc is a few minute walk or drive, you will probably head there more often than not. That cool place you like thats 40 minutes away, you probably wind up going there less and less.

that's the sad fate for some people who move to San diego thinking about the coast and downtown, and wind up living further inland in places like El Cajon. It's affordable, but you are so far away from the postcard life, you might become disappointed.

Many of us think places like Julian are cool, but how many of us go there that often?

Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I agree that you can live inland and have a wonderful life. If you like that life. But for a lot of people who hop on a plane or dream of 'southern california' place like Poway and Escondido and Rancho Bernardo aren't exactly what they had in mind. And people do wind up living and doing things where they live. No matter where they live.. If you live in Escondido, you probably aren't a beach person. Or you used to be but couldn't afford it or became a bit old to live with 4 other roommates in a small place just to be close to the beach. That happens.

People tend to spend most of their time around where they live, it's just the way things happen. Nobody really wants to drive an hour to go downtown, if you just drove 45 minutes back home from work. This happens no matter where you seem to live. Blocks are started this way. Friendships, enemies, etc form because of this. If you live in Escondido and work someplace else, you probably go grocery shopping, eat out, etc in Escondido. Once in a while you'll wind up going out to places downtown, to the beach, etc but as time goes on, the theory of "i can surf and go snowboarding" all in the same day becomes more postcard material than reality.

When I lived in PB, most of the people I seemed to meet, always hung out in PB. Going downtown was a once in a while thing. Then when I lived downtown and started hanging out downtown, I met many people who never went to PB. Thought it was "that 22 year old drunk on street" kind of place. I Liked PB so I tried to go back as often as I could. But after awhile it became, I don't want to search for parkind, I don't want to spend 50 bucks, one way, on a cab ride, etc.

Most people like convenience. Quick trips. If your local bar, restaurant, store, etc is a few minute walk or drive, you will probably head there more often than not. That cool place you like thats 40 minutes away, you probably wind up going there less and less.

that's the sad fate for some people who move to San diego thinking about the coast and downtown, and wind up living further inland in places like El Cajon. It's affordable, but you are so far away from the postcard life, you might become disappointed.

Many of us think places like Julian are cool, but how many of us go there that often?
I disagree. We lived in Poway for many years and moved there from La Jolla. We went to the beach quite often. Our son surfed every week and also went snow skiing at Big Bear. We could afford to live at the beach but chose Poway because we far prefer the climate. I have an aversion to cool weather and overcast skies. There is a lot more to California then just the beach. We did all the tourist things, went to downtown San Diego frequently etc. Comparing the inland areas of San Diego county to the mid-west is absurd. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people that do prefer to live inland in Rancho Bernardo, Poway, etc. There wouldn't be multi-million dollar homes in these areas if the people didn't want to live there.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 PM

252 posts, read 258,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I disagree. We lived in Poway for many years and moved there from La Jolla. We went to the beach quite often. Our son surfed every week and also went snow skiing at Big Bear. We could afford to live at the beach but chose Poway because we far prefer the climate. I have an aversion to cool weather and overcast skies. There is a lot more to California then just the beach. We did all the tourist things, went to downtown San Diego frequently etc. Comparing the inland areas of San Diego county to the mid-west is absurd. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people that do prefer to live inland in Rancho Bernardo, Poway, etc. There wouldn't be multi-million dollar homes in these areas if the people didn't want to live there.
I grew up in Poway. I don't know how to describe it but the city has a weird villager vibe to it. People always point out how San Diego Chargers live in the city (usually comes out when they beat up their GF or total their car). Wealthy people = Great place, right? The city has a large sub culture of trust fund children addicted/selling drugs but daddy always ends up getting Bobby a job at his business.

In terms of Suburbia, sure it's one of the best in San Diego. Quality schools (why my parents moved there) and it's safe: Radical cops patrolling the tiny town day and night

Everything you mentioned involves massive amounts of driving, traffic, gas. Don't you as a 35-60 year old feel like you deserve more than being a glorified taxi driver? There is nothing in Poway in terms of entertainment. Irish Pub/Kaminski's? When was the last time you had fun past 7 PM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego