Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,046 times

Advertisements

I've been posting in Internet forums since the Internet began. And I actually prefer threads like this where there is a healthy debate and different opinions on things. Because I find they are FAR more educational vs. threads where everyone is slapping themselves to agree with one another.

There are good thoughts on both sides of the issue and I agree much of this comes down to personal tastes and preferences. No one is right or wrong.

JohnSoCal, I'm sure even you would agree while there are plenty of people like you that made the conscience decision to live where you do that reflected your tastes on being a bit further out and your preference of weather, there are probably even more people that are like what Pedro is referring to and essentially forced to live out in Temecula (or that neck of the woods) due to the simple facts of economics and COL, especially as it relates to real estate prices. Some simply feel like they have to have a bigger house (or might even need it as they have several kids). But many can't afford the kind of housing they feel they need in San Diego so they go further out. That's just reality.

So yeah, for people like you John you are absolutely correct. But I can see Pedro's point as well for people that moved out here expecting an entirely different scenario. No one is right or wrong but it's good to read about one another's perspective on it.

As well, I don't think one needs to live in San Diego 20 years to figure out that the taxes here are high, the cost of real estate is high, the job market is fairly mediocre, salaries are nothing to write home about relative to cost of real estate, etc.

You can figure those kinds of things out fairly quickly or even before moving out here. You don't need to be an expert on Southern California living to figure those things out fairly quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Wow. I guess I'm in the wrong business. So if you're taking home $1000/week that's about $80,000/year before taxes. I didnt know barbers made as much as Software Engineers and Financial Analysts. You sir, have it made. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics you make double the income of those Hair Stylists/Hair Dressers that are in the upper 90th percentile. Where do I sign up?
I am guessing you may have been joking or could have been mistaken, but $1,000 per week is $52,000 per year.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,820 times
Quote:
Wow. I guess I'm in the wrong business. So if you're taking home $1000/week that's about $80,000/year before taxes. I didnt know barbers made as much as Software Engineers and Financial Analysts. You sir, have it made. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics you make double the income of those Hair Stylists/Hair Dressers that are in the upper 90th percentile. Where do I sign up?
There are 52 weeks in a year. Thus, $1K a week would be $52K. You won't be rich making that, but you can definitely put a roof over your head and food on your table with that income.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I am guessing you may have been joking or could have been mistaken, but $1,000 per week is $52,000 per year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
There are 52 weeks in a year. Thus, $1K a week would be $52K. You won't be rich making that, but you can definitely put a roof over your head and food on your table with that income.

I believe Scottay might have been referring to GROSS income before taxes when he is mentioning that $80,000 gross figure. And I agree with his point. I seriously doubt too many barbers in San Diego (or most cities in the USA) are grossing $80,000 or so per year.

Monthly Gross Pay $6,666.67

Federal Withholding $1,200.31

Social Security $413.33

Medicare $96.67

California $429.55

SDI $66.67

Net Pay per month: $4,460.14

Calculation Based On:

Gross Pay $80,000.00

Pay Frequency Monthly

Federal Filing Status Single

# of Federal Allowances 1

Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
$52,000 after taxes corresponds to about $80,000 before taxes are taken out.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,162 times
Shelbygirl, I really like your description and where you guys are now. This is more in line with how we are thinking and heading towards at some point in our future.

I have to say, being out here in San Diego and getting to see more and more of CA in general, living here has really opened a whole different realm of living opportunities. We were never 'beach' people per se (SO grew up in a beach community) and NEVER came out here for the weather. We came out here for a job oppt. the weather was a benefit which we quickly began to appreciate.

But I digress, after being here for nearly a decade have grown to LOVE the valleys, hills and rural feel of life here. Bar none. But its TOTALLY circumstantial. THis is also barring COL and commuting to work from this thought. Would I feel this way being single? Probably not. Actually very likely not. With kids? Again an unknown, but can probably say again, no, at first glance. As I mentioned in other threads, its ridiculous to think there arent people willing to millions for a home in rural parts of the County.
Spending 1.5 million dollars for a ranch in a rural setting and then stating its a lower quality of life is a somewhat limited point of view. I dont think someone willing to spend that money will EVER say "well, its an ok place for 1.5 million but I would rather live closer to the ocean".

In the case of the argument of people moving here to SD for the weather, I agree with because its one of the more obvious differences and realities of day to day living here. But, if anyone spends time here and invests the time to explore, there is SO much more a little bit more off the grid than on that has its charms. Its not for everyone, but for the adventure minded, outdoorsy person, its almost irrelevant where you live in San Diego or SoCal when its all right there.

I think there are TONS of options to live in SD. From gated communities to 5 acre ranches, to urban. Its a great place to live. We are grateful everyday when we sit on our back deck with a glass of wine and feel that sun and breeze

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 04-23-2013 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 11:19 AM

45 posts, read 72,438 times
Quote:
thats typically how much you'll make with steady clients and experience.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I wouldn't even say the BioTech industry is strong here. It's better than most other industries in san diego, but at one point, San Diego was one of the top places for BioTech jobs, but then merges/buy outs, funding, etc and some companies moving their HQ to another state, etc hurt the industry. And now it's more like a place that has what, 40K biotech jobs total. That's not a lot of jobs in a county of millions of people. And San Diego is bad when it comes to investments and Venture capital. Which means no new companies being built in any industry. Which mean no new jobs or potential jobs.

There are now more Biotech jobs in Los Angeles than San Diego. A young kid or experienced pro who wants to work in biotech probably considers places like NY/NJ and San Fran before San Diego. Hell North Carolina has more biotech jobs now and a cheaper cost of living. And the weather isn't as bad as NY.

And San Diego just doesn't pay well in any industry. It's almost like many companies in San Diego pay like you live in North Carolina. Except you don't.

Yeah - But its North Carolina. - Trust me you dont want to go to North Carolina.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Shelbygirl, I really like your description and where you guys are now. This is more in line with how we are thinking and heading towards at some point in our future.

I have to say, being out here in San Diego and getting to see more and more of CA in general, living here has really opened a whole different realm of living opportunities. We were never 'beach' people per se (SO grew up in a beach community) and NEVER came out here for the weather. We came out here for a job oppt. the weather was a benefit which we quickly began to appreciate.

But I digress, after being here for nearly a decade have grown to LOVE the valleys, hills and rural feel of life here. Bar none. But its TOTALLY circumstantial. THis is also barring COL and commuting to work from this thought. Would I feel this way being single? Probably not. Actually very likely not. With kids? Again an unknown, but can probably say again, no, at first glance. As I mentioned in other threads, its ridiculous to think there arent people willing to millions for a home in rural parts of the County.
Spending 1.5 million dollars for a ranch in a rural setting and then stating its a lower quality of life is a somewhat limited point of view. I dont think someone willing to spend that money will EVER say "well, its an ok place for 1.5 million but I would rather live closer to the ocean".

In the case of the argument of people moving here to SD for the weather, I agree with because its one of the more obvious differences and realities of day to day living here. But, if anyone spends time here and invests the time to explore, there is SO much more a little bit more off the grid than on that has its charms. Its not for everyone, but for the adventure minded, outdoorsy person, its almost irrelevant where you live in San Diego or SoCal when its all right there.

I think there are TONS of options to live in SD. From gated communities to 5 acre ranches, to urban. Its a great place to live. We are grateful everyday when we sit on our back deck with a glass of wine and feel that sun and breeze
^^^^ This.

I definitely agree that this entire general area of San Diego blow away most other cities any day of the week. Even if you are further out at least you have access to the beach if you wanted to go. It's still not too far of a drive.

I would consider ourselves "beach people". Not that we go swimming in the ocean a lot or surfing. Because we don't. I'm not a surfer. But for me just going to the beach and walking/running by the beach or just parking a beach chair and reading the newspaper while my kids play in the sand or water is really peaceful and enjoyable and try to do it as often as I can.

All of these different areas all have their positives to them in their own way. And their negatives.

It's a small world as I just got back from taking my son to get his haircut. The woman that cuts his hair lives in Rancho Peñasquitos now (works in Carmel Valley) and was telling me before her and her husband used to live out in Temecula. She said that they had the big beautiful house, the decent sized lot and they THOUGHT that is what they wanted. That is until the monster commutes for both her and her husband. She said they would rather have a MUCH smaller place in RQP with no yard and they are a million times happier now without commuting.

But I tell you what...I'm sure I'd pick Temecula vs. many of the other places in the USA out there with just horrible/no/ugly scenery and no access to the beach in a relatively short drive.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:42 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post

Many thanks! I fully realize this is not for everyone. And, if we had to make a commute every morning, well.....we wouldn't. Like I said, it's a matter of minutes to good shopping and the beach. We can make Downtown SD in 40 minutes ( non rush hour). JMHO.....But we just feel we have the best of all worlds.
On another note.....just coming up on a yr of living here...and our Financial guy got us a smokin deal on a re-fi... the Appraiser just left. Hoping we get a true "what it's worth Appraisal" out of him, just to see how the market has changed since closing of last yr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego