Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 02:11 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
The only true necessities in life are food, shelter, and clothing.
I will say one thing about you Tony. You are VERY consistent. I admire that about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 02:21 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I will say one thing about you Tony. You are VERY consistent. I admire that about you.
Yup.

Maslow lives through Tony

Old 04-18-2013, 03:08 PM

252 posts, read 258,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Arizona is warm, and the COL is lower than in San Diego.
This is true.

Sounds like if you come to SD, you are gonna be working 6 days a week and living in a dump. Not worth it

Old 04-18-2013, 03:16 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
San Diego is a great place to live. I have spent a lot of time in New York City and my wife and I love it there ( Manhattan ) but we could never live in that climate.

One of the big problems you will have in California is being a barber. It is very competitive here and generally pretty cheap. I get my hair cut at a beauty salon and it costs me just $13.95 including shampooing. I paid just $10.00 in San Jose CA in 2006. There aren't a lot of barber shops anymore because most men now go to the beauty salons.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
San Diego is a great place to live. I have spent a lot of time in New York City and my wife and I love it there ( Manhattan ) but we could never live in that climate.

One of the big problems you will have in California is being a barber. It is very competitive here and generally pretty cheap. I get my hair cut at a beauty salon and it costs me just $13.95 including shampooing. I paid just $10.00 in San Jose CA in 2006. There aren't a lot of barber shops anymore because most men now go to the beauty salons.
Exactly and I totally agree. The girl that cuts my hair works at a beauty salon (although mine is more like $23+ tip) but I totally agree with John.

I didn't know if you meant "barber" in a general term but even if you did I think it's really tough. Back when I was living in Dallas and even other cities you had people basically renting space/chairs and if they had a big clientele they could do fairly well.

I'm NO expert on this but it seems like the trend now for many people in that profession is to go work at one of these franchise places and get guaranteed a salary per hour and at least some benefits. I've watched the trends and it's been amazing to see the # of franchises (hair care and beauty salons) that has exploded the past 15 years or so.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:45 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
This is why.

Necessity - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

People live in tin shacks or with cardboard over their head. And not in far off places like sub Saharan Africa, but right here in the United States. Look at this place in Mississippi.

Now, would I want to live there? Hell no. But someone was living there, raising kids there, and that's all they had.

This fulfilled their basic necessity of shelter. Yes, it's a dump. Yes, it probably had cockroaches and hell, for all I know, they ate them as a source of protein.

But it fulfills the basic necessity of housing.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playstation4Evr View Post
I just want to get out of new york... the weather is garbage, its depressing, there is nothing to do, and the people here are all cardboard cutouts.. its just not what i want.
Why do you want to move here? What is it about San Diego that you like? What are you willing to give up in order to get that?

It's a zero sum game. You're going to have to give up something to get something, since you will make less money here than you do in New York and the cost of living is comparable.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 PM

Also from Merriam-Webster's Dictionary

Necessary: nec·es·sary adjective \ˈne-sə-ˌser-ē\:

a : of an inevitable nature : inescapable

b : logically unavoidable

2. : Absolutely needed

Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 PM

45 posts, read 72,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Why do you want to move here? What is it about San Diego that you like? What are you willing to give up in order to get that?

It's a zero sum game. You're going to have to give up something to get something, since you will make less money here than you do in New York and the cost of living is comparable.

BECAUSE, why would i stay in upstate new york for my entire life when i could be somewhere where i can enjoy my life.

Last edited by Playstation4Evr; 04-18-2013 at 10:09 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playstation4Evr View Post
BECAUSE, why would i stay in upstate new york for my entire life when i could be somewhere where i can enjoy my life.
Oh, wow.

Upstate New York?

It's even worse for you.

I plugged in New York City. You're going to need significantly more money to live here and maintain the same standard of living.

So, if you can't do that, then you've got to ask yourself what you're willing to give up. Because you're going to have to give up a lot.

And if you can't define what it is about San Diego that you like and you've never been here for more than a day or two, you're jumping into the deep end of the pool with bricks on your ankles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego