Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 12:35 AM

401 posts, read 445,511 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised no one has mentioned places like Encinitas, North Park, or Golden Hill. Still, it sounds like the OP is looking for a consistent urban lifestyle that would provide all the amenities that are normally associated with said lifestyle, such as walkability (search for "walkscores" when researching, BTW), nightlife, and shopping. Since the OP has stated their preference for a location that provides these amenities, all signs would point to any.neighborhood/district in the vicinity of Balboa Park, namely downtown.

My advice is not to worry too much about where downtown you end up (if in fact you decide to settle there), because downtown San Diego is quite small, something like 2 square miles. This means a cab fare or walking around isn't that big of a deal, but depending on where you decide to rent, the savings could be substantial. Where I live (East Village), you can find a much bigger bang for your buck than say, the Marina district or Little Italy. Yes, there are homeless, but they are for the most part harmless. I've never felt threatened by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 01:00 AM

6,515 posts, read 7,567,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned places like Encinitas, North Park, or Golden Hill.
encinitas?

Old 10-26-2013, 01:07 AM

401 posts, read 445,511 times
A city north of San Diego, but still in the county, about 30 minutes' drive from downtown in no traffic. I suggest it because it has a decent downtown area that caters to the creative, professional crowd. Think yoga, art galleries, and boutique stores. Not as exciting as downtown, that's for sure, but very affluent. Again, it may not be for you depending on your tastes. Luckily, San Diego has many neighborhoods to offer.

Feel free to PM me if you have any direct questions regarding our city.

TFD

Old 10-26-2013, 01:22 AM

6,515 posts, read 7,567,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
A city north of San Diego, but still in the county, about 30 minutes' drive from downtown in no traffic. I suggest it because it has a decent downtown area that caters to the creative, professional crowd. Think yoga, art galleries, and boutique stores. Not as exciting as downtown, that's for sure, but very affluent. Again, it may not be for you depending on your tastes. Luckily, San Diego has many neighborhoods to offer.

Feel free to PM me if you have any direct questions regarding our city.

TFD
I know where it is, I just thought the guy wanted to be central. But you are right, it is atleast connected to downtown San Diego where he wanted to be via the coaster.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:02 AM

4,545 posts, read 12,423,288 times
Consider Park Boulevard, really anywhere between Upas Street and Adams Avenue (north of Balboa Park). The new rapid bus line could take you to your work quickly downtown. The hard part would be finding a furnished apartment. Perhaps the money saved on rent ($1500 v $2500) would allow you to buy $3k - 5k worth of furniture, a new bed but second hand everything else.

Park Boulevard is not sketchy and is close to enough to Hillcrest and/or North Park at 30th & University. There is a Sprouts supermarket near Park & El Cajon Boulevard. Trolley Barn Park is near Adams & Park, while Upas & Park will be the border of Balboa Park.

The other Balboa Park neighborhoods are also solid.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:19 PM

7 posts, read 9,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
the FURNISHED part is what I think you will have a hard time finding for that price. You can get a great apartment for $2500 in Little Italy... but not furnished.
OUCH! how much do you think a 1000 sq. feet 1 or 2 bedroom furnished apartment in Little Italy would go for now a days? $3000/month?

Old 10-27-2013, 04:29 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,378,817 times
It would cost you less to buy inexpensive furniture, than to rent a furnished apartment. When it's time for you to leave, you either sell or donate the furniture.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:44 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,353,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
It would cost you less to buy inexpensive furniture, than to rent a furnished apartment. When it's time for you to leave, you either sell or donate the furniture.
I agree with this, and actually I'm in kind of a similiar situation -- I kind of lucked into a decent and inexpensive 2bdr apartment here on the beach on Port Hueneme. I just decided to stay here longer instead of moving into a smaller apartment (though nicer) in San Diego (and its not just SD its all of Coastal CA). I had put off furnishing my office since I started working from home in May since I wanted to move. If I move now though, I'll be in a tough spot to buy furnishings for awhile. So I'm going to buy the furnishings while I can afford them (moving will still cost me about the same since I have to bring my bed and couch).

Anyway all in all I'm saving about $700 a month being where I am, its plenty for me to get the furnishings I need before I make the plunge into an empty 2 bedroom or loft.

---------------------

As for furnished apartments in SD (based on my personal research) the nicest and least expensive ones are the ones in Oceanside called Wilshire 1010 but they charge a full months deposit for the temporary living situation which I think is ridiculous (who has $5000 to put down on a apartment if you are looking for your permanent home?) but if you do, that is there.

For Downtown areas I've seen a mix of things -- really crappy furnishings though still charging a premium (though you could get this for your $2500 budget) basically these are people that needed to leave for whatever reason or just plain have crappy taste or are too lazy to move the furniture out of their ancient condo. Most of these I've seen I've thought -- are they going to pay me to live there? just not worth it for the added cost as its ugly stuff or not my style at all.

Other ones, are more executive level and you will pay handsomely for that. I've yet to see a furnished apartment by a regular person where I'd actually want to move in.

for temporary situations (truly a few months) there are some on arbnb situations that might be wortwhile.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 PM

7 posts, read 9,277 times
Thanks guys for all the insight, I appreciate it. In fact, I've started my search already...

One more question: is it worth going for those apartment complexes like Strata, Vantage, Icon, etc, or is it perhaps better so go through Craigslist?

Old 10-28-2013, 07:13 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,378,817 times
It's your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego