Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I love that someone in Arizona thinks there is a severe lack of greenery and trees here

Staggering unemployment? What is your definition of staggering? According the latest BLS report, the unemployment rate in SD is 7%, that means that 93% of the workforce is working. Even at the highest rate of 10.6% a few years ago, a "Staggering" 89.4% still had jobs.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

I hate when people use these numbers because statistics is a relatively fake way to do math when you just use the variables you want to describe something. Everybody knows the US unemployment and jobs are one of those fake reports. There are those who are underemployed, those who after 6-12 months aren't even counted, and then there are those who are forced into retirement. This isn't a San Diego thing, but in general, these numbers are such a crock it's ridiculous when people use them to back up their agenda.

San Diego is not Detroit or Cleveland. And it has improved over the past few years. But the truth is, most people dont' move to San Diego because of work. You'd be dumb to do that as there really aren't any hardcore industries that support the the cost of living. Places like NYC and San Fran have a high cost of living, but for the most part, if you are a professional with experience and certain skills, you will be well paid. A good finance guy in NYC might wind up making 500K after bonuses, etc. Even today. Silicon Valley or Seattle have a ton of tech jobs. And you could easily make 200K if you're any good. That money might not go that far compared to say Iowa or Dallas, but if you aren't looking to buy a house, you will most likely live a decent life.

Nobody is paying that in San Diego. And while San diego might not be as expensive as NYC, it isn't exactly that far behind. Maybe you can find an apartment in San Diego for 1500 a month and have space and a washer/dryer, but if you make 80K per year compared to 200K per year elsewhere in a place where 2K rents you a small studio, the different is that you are broke in San diego, but still need a car, while in NYC, you save on not needing a car at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 PM

91 posts, read 335,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I hate when people use these numbers because statistics is a relatively fake way to do math when you just use the variables you want to describe something. Everybody knows the US unemployment and jobs are one of those fake reports. There are those who are underemployed, those who after 6-12 months aren't even counted, and then there are those who are forced into retirement. This isn't a San Diego thing, but in general, these numbers are such a crock it's ridiculous when people use them to back up their agenda.

San Diego is not Detroit or Cleveland. And it has improved over the past few years. But the truth is, most people dont' move to San Diego because of work. You'd be dumb to do that as there really aren't any hardcore industries that support the the cost of living. Places like NYC and San Fran have a high cost of living, but for the most part, if you are a professional with experience and certain skills, you will be well paid. A good finance guy in NYC might wind up making 500K after bonuses, etc. Even today. Silicon Valley or Seattle have a ton of tech jobs. And you could easily make 200K if you're any good. That money might not go that far compared to say Iowa or Dallas, but if you aren't looking to buy a house, you will most likely live a decent life.

Nobody is paying that in San Diego. And while San diego might not be as expensive as NYC, it isn't exactly that far behind. Maybe you can find an apartment in San Diego for 1500 a month and have space and a washer/dryer, but if you make 80K per year compared to 200K per year elsewhere in a place where 2K rents you a small studio, the different is that you are broke in San diego, but still need a car, while in NYC, you save on not needing a car at all.

Yes I have to agree with you Pedro. Whether you're in San Diego or else where unemployment rates are far higher then the (revised) reports which are just that (REVISED)! But having said that San Diego has hardly any industry & very low paying jobs that are over saturated...heck neighboring --> Imperial County has over 20% Unemployment

Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
In AZ you can legally own a machine gun Ya Zoneeee!

Old 06-10-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
In AZ you can legally own a machine gun Ya Zoneeee!
Mean while in California its illegal to have on your person more then 2.5 ounces of pepper spray Talk about disparities!

Old 06-10-2013, 06:00 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn_Resiliency View Post
Arizona is a Desert & well it's to be expected But a coastal region that's constantly waging a jihad on greenery & shrubbery is an absurdity I can attest to it from my personal experience all across San Diego...parks & green spaces are nearly stripped naked of any greenery!
San Diego is a desert region, and not naturally green aside from maybe a month out of every year (IF we get good rains). There is no "shrubbery" aside from chapparal and coastal sage scrub, neither of which are "greenery", that is native to the region.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:05 PM

130 posts, read 386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
You moved to Vegas, right? I'm sure the 2 things you singled out about SD are the least of your worries compared to where you live now. Las Vegas aka The Land of Losers
I do not regret moving to Las Vegas. It has been the best thing for me at this point in my life. Las Vegas is not my final destination in life, but I have no regrets, stress, or anxiety about living here. I have had the best luck in the world since I moved here. I have not experienced a fraction of the racism, judgment, pretentiousness, and phoniness in Las Vegas that I did while living in SD. If that makes me amongst "losers", so be it.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
I do not regret moving to Las Vegas. It has been the best thing for me at this point in my life. Las Vegas is not my final destination in life, but I have no regrets, stress, or anxiety about living here. I have had the best luck in the world since I moved here. I have not experienced a fraction of the racism, judgment, pretentiousness, and phoniness in Las Vegas that I did while living in SD. If that makes me amongst losers, so be it.
Don't be phased by those who still believe that San Diego is some sort of utopia when it clearly isn't...There has been a relentless exodus for years...out of San Diego & California at large~! Even the illegal's are seeking better opportunities else where!

Old 06-10-2013, 08:33 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,939,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvic View Post
These are the two primary reasons why I left San Diego and never looked back!!!
Originally Posted by SEAandATL

"Only 5? I can come up with 10 reasons not to move to San Diego:

4. Too many rude, snotty, pretentious, materialistic people
5. People stuck on the small town mentality which makes everything slower, not accepting the reality that there are 3 million people in S.D. County, which causes frustrating delays"

You two are ridiculous. There is more of that here and nowhere else and where you are is perfectly wonderful. Try some balance in your lives.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,026,132 times
Been out of town for a while but I have been pondering some of the things on this board since I got back, and I must say, at first I thought it was down right wacky, crazy even, bordering on mental illness. Talk of gang stalking, miserable life in San Diego, and reasons not move here, just seemed completely foreign to me...my thinly veiled attempt to mention mental health counseling was probably out of line.

After much thought and profound thinking, I see the points of view and they are well taken, my friends. I must say, I am stuck here and will probably fester here the rest of my days but there is no reason for the rest of you to suffer through countless years of gang stalking, sickened environment, poverty, and the ultimate kick in the groin..limit to carry more than 2.5 ounces of pepper spray. As they say...GTFO, if you haven't already. Take the mirrors of your moped and head east to the land of opportunity! I would have said "head north" but I bet that would be much worse, plus I have friends and family to the north that I care about.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,939,150 times
where are ya now, echo42?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego