Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 02:13 PM

142 posts, read 205,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn_Resiliency View Post
Reason not to move to San Diego---public safety concerns as police force shrinks.

Half of San Diego's Police force up for retirement & many younger officers leave for other departments.

Half of San Diego cops near retirement | FOX5 San Diego

New jobs......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 PM

57 posts, read 95,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabconnor View Post
Any one of those points (unemployment, drugs, expensive areas, pollution, pretentious people) fit most other major cities in the US, not just San Diego. I don't understand why people continue to compare major US cities with small or mid-sized towns in largely unpopulated areas. If you don't like cities and prefer small town living then don't move to a city. It's as simple as that and certainly not a San Diego problem. It's comparing apples to oranges. I can find fault anywhere, San Diego included, I just prefer not to spend my time focusing on all the negative. To me San Diego stacks up great against other cities - and I've lived in many of them. So I'll continue to write light hearted posts about the place I've grown to love.

Agreed. Anyone can come up with 5 reasons to move or not to move to any city in the US or the entire world for that matter. Everyone's opinion is subjective based on what their preferences are. So much wasted space spent on this forum regurgitating the same info over and over again- oh the great weather, the high cost of living, the beaches, the gangs, the traffic, the lack of green/trees, etc etc etc.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney. View Post
Agreed. Anyone can come up with 5 reasons to move or not to move to any city in the US or the entire world for that matter. Everyone's opinion is subjective based on what their preferences are. So much wasted space spent on this forum regurgitating the same info over and over again- oh the great weather, the high cost of living, the beaches, the gangs, the traffic, the lack of green/trees, etc etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabconnor View Post
Any one of those points (unemployment, drugs, expensive areas, pollution, pretentious people) fit most other major cities in the US, not just San Diego. I don't understand why people continue to compare major US cities with small or mid-sized towns in largely unpopulated areas. If you don't like cities and prefer small town living then don't move to a city. It's as simple as that and certainly not a San Diego problem. It's comparing apples to oranges. I can find fault anywhere, San Diego included, I just prefer not to spend my time focusing on all the negative. To me San Diego stacks up great against other cities - and I've lived in many of them. So I'll continue to write light hearted posts about the place I've grown to love.

Yeah, but guys....in San Diego....its 'different'

Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times
Living in San Diego (or any city/state) is like marriage and divorce:

If you like SD, you focus on the positives and try to overlook the negatives.

If you really don't like SD -- leave.

But don't try to get everybody else to focus solely on the negatives and to leave too -- it's a big waste of time and energy.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Living in San Diego (or any city/state) is like marriage and divorce:

If you like SD, you focus on the positives and try to overlook the negatives.

If you really don't like SD -- leave.

But don't try to get everybody else to focus solely on the negatives and to leave too -- it's a big waste of time and energy.
Totally agree. EVERY city out there has things to complain about. I don't care how perfect the city or whichever city in the world you are in. ALWAYS things to complain about.

What I go by is are there more positive things or negative things?

For San Diego it almost seems like lots of people that can't hack it here and have to end up leaving get supper bitter about it and angry that they couldn't hack it here or afford to live at the lifestyle that they wanted. So they get miserable and try to get everyone else miserable about the city as well. They come on the board and constantly ragging on it.

But the truth of the matter is, if they won the lottery or came into some financial windfall.....I think the first thing they would do is probably move back here.. LOL.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Totally agree. EVERY city out there has things to complain about. I don't care how perfect the city or whichever city in the world you are in. ALWAYS things to complain about.

What I go by is are there more positive things or negative things?

For San Diego it almost seems like lots of people that can't hack it here and have to end up leaving get supper bitter about it and angry that they couldn't hack it here or afford to live at the lifestyle that they wanted. So they get miserable and try to get everyone else miserable about the city as well. They come on the board and constantly ragging on it.

But the truth of the matter is, if they won the lottery or came into some financial windfall.....I think the first thing they would do is probably move back here.. LOL.
Yeah, I'm coming 'home' soon. Well, at least that's what I think today. Talk to me tomorrow. gawd, this thread got me wondering again. But, no, seriously, there is nothing like the ocean, Balboa Park, the ocean, The Zoo, the ocean, etc., etc., etc. If people are really that miserable living in SD, they need to get out. That the proverbial 'bottom line'. How did this thread ever get so long in the first place??

Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post

Not all of us

Old 06-11-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Not all of us
You REALLY like Richmond more than SD? But then -- to each their own.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
You REALLY like Richmond more than SD? But then -- to each their own.
The Bay is cooler and greener than SD. Gentoo is smart to grab a toehold on the Bay. He can work his way around from Richmond, in time.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn_Resiliency View Post
5) pollution, worst case of hard water I've ever seen & severe lack of greenery & trees.
haha! That's funny! The entire SoCal area used to be a desert. People don't move there for the greenery. I have a similar complaint about NM: no water, no ocean, no "real" trees, only shrubby desert juniper. But that's just the nature of the place, it's in the middle of the SW desert! You wouldn't expect it to be green, much less have ocean front or big lakes. People who don't like that type of environment shouldn't move there and spend their days whining. I suspect SD is a lot better than LA, though, in terms of people, size of the town (manageable, as opposed to: overwhelming), and transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego