Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Can you name the beach communities that are full of chain restaurants and businesses for me, please? Shall we start from South to North? IB? Coronado? OB? MB? PB? La Jolla? Del Mar? Solana? Encinitas? Which commercial strips in each area are full of chains?
After Jack in the Box left Mission Beach I don't think there is a single chain there now. In Ocean Beach a Starbucks and Jack in the Box on the outskirts is it I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 12:04 PM

54 posts, read 99,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I hate when people use these numbers because statistics is a relatively fake way to do math when you just use the variables you want to describe something. Everybody knows the US unemployment and jobs are one of those fake reports. There are those who are underemployed, those who after 6-12 months aren't even counted, and then there are those who are forced into retirement. This isn't a San Diego thing, but in general, these numbers are such a crock it's ridiculous when people use them to back up their agenda.
I see this argument a lot without the necessary analysis to gain any value from it. From your logic, when unemployment was low at about 4%, would you argue that the real unemployment rate was 14%? 24%? 34%? In the end, is the delta in real unemployment between the good times and the relatively bad times today reflected in the 4-5% difference in statistical unemployment rates between those times and now? Just saying the real unemployment rate is higher means nothing.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:21 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,743,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
After Jack in the Box left Mission Beach I don't think there is a single chain there now. In Ocean Beach a Starbucks and Jack in the Box on the outskirts is it I think.
Yeah, it's expected that there will be fast food chains scattered throughout, but in no way do they outnumber the mom and pops businesses in those areas. Not even close.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:39 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
I'm largely in agreement with those who wonder where the chains are at the beaches. Most of the beach areas in SD are residential with a few stores and places as every place people live will need them.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,743,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinadistrict View Post
I see this argument a lot without the necessary analysis to gain any value from it. From your logic, when unemployment was low at about 4%, would you argue that the real unemployment rate was 14%? 24%? 34%? In the end, is the delta in real unemployment between the good times and the relatively bad times today reflected in the 4-5% difference in statistical unemployment rates between those times and now? Just saying the real unemployment rate is higher means nothing.
Exactly. Looking at the link I provided, does that mean the true unemployment rate in a hot job market area like DC is not really 5%, but rather 15%? Fact and figures are surely a better indicator of what is going on out there, as opposed to some pie in the sky guess just because you know people who are out of a job and still looking.

Is the true unemployment rate here only 7%? Of course not, but it's not 20% either.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:12 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Exactly. Looking at the link I provided, does that mean the true unemployment rate in a hot job market area like DC is not really 5%, but rather 15%? Fact and figures are surely a better indicator of what is going on out there, as opposed to some pie in the sky guess just because you know people who are out of a job and still looking.

Is the true unemployment rate here only 7%? Of course not, but it's not 20% either.

Exactly. You bring up excellent points sdurbanite. I do agree with the basic principle that unemployment figures are higher than what the government says it is. These numbers aren't fully accurate because lots of people drop off of it. Still, it's NO WHERE near where some perma-bears try to make it out to be. Nothing like the situation in places like Spain or Greece or other areas.

The numbers are always never as good as the government portrays but it's NOTHING near what permabears try to portray either.

Here in the USA numbers can be off a bit but it's NOTHING like what goes on in other countries. The numbers have to be within reason here but no doubt the numbers are massaged as well. Also, governments have the ability to put out a number and then have a drastic revision a month or two months later. So you have to be careful about that as well.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM

54 posts, read 99,756 times
Again, the "perma-bears" work under the assumption that when times are good and unemployment is 4%, that somehow then, the real unemployment rate isn't that much higher. But when times are bad, they believe that the discrepancy between the published unemployment rate and the real unemployment is magnitudes larger. It doesn't get written about enough, but the unemployment rate for those with college degrees is much lower than the rate for those without. This is as much a reflection of the transition of the economy to an information based economy rather than a manufacturing/production economy as anything.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:54 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Very true but this isn't something fully understood on City-Data I've discovered but what can you do.
I grew up next to a mostly Black ghetto in SD (many decades ago). So I went to school with Blacks. By the time Rosa Parks did her very historical sit, I was long graduated from grade school, so we never studied racism. Nor in HS; we didn't have a 'current events' class and in history, slavery was just another historical fact we had to memorize. And I didn't know my parents were prejudiced until I was graduating from HS. By the time I was college, the S was starting to hit the fan. But I was on the side of Blacks. My daughter dated a Black guy, my sons dated Black girls -- in Orange County yet! My ex and I were fine with it. Why not?

I'm not trying to give you the "some of my best friends are" cr-p. I'm just saying I didn't grow up with racism. I didn't raise my children to be that way either. And I think that's how racism dies -- we ourselves don't have it or we don't exhibit it, and we don't teach out children to be that way either.

If I had been born and raised in The South, no doubt I probably would have been prejudiced and still be that way. I was just extremely fortunate. So were my children.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:05 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I grew up next to a mostly Black ghetto in SD (many decades ago). So I went to school with Blacks. By the time Rosa Parks did her very historical sit, I was long graduated from grade school, so we never studied racism. Nor in HS; we didn't have a 'current events' class and in history, slavery was just another historical fact we had to memorize. And I didn't know my parents were prejudiced until I was graduating from HS. By the time I was college, the S was starting to hit the fan. But I was on the side of Blacks. My daughter dated a Black guy, my sons dated Black girls -- in Orange County yet! My ex and I were fine with it. Why not?

I'm not trying to give you the "some of my best friends are" cr-p. I'm just saying I didn't grow up with racism. I didn't raise my children to be that way either. And I think that's how racism dies -- we ourselves don't have it or we don't exhibit it, and we don't teach out children to be that way either.

If I had been born and raised in The South, no doubt I probably would have been prejudiced and still be that way. I was just extremely fortunate. So were my children.
Makes sense to me. Like I said, my past girlfriends, in SD were white. I don't go around looking for it. Indeed I never paid much attention that I was the only black around until I ran into idiots like those at OB. Racism will end just the way you said, by not teaching it, not only to our own kids but also by setting an example by not using race as a factor in judging anyone.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Makes sense to me. Like I said, my past girlfriends, in SD were white. I don't go around looking for it. Indeed I never paid much attention that I was the only black around until I ran into idiots like those at OB. Racism will end just the way you said, by not teaching it, not only to our own kids but also by setting an example by not using race as a factor in judging anyone.

Absolutely I think this all starts from home and how you raise your kids. In this regard MUCH has changed even over the short run and in the past decade or two. There are so many multi-cultural families now which is wonderful.

As well, "more of America is browning from the bottom up" as this excellent article in today's Wall Street Journal mentions. More white Americans died than were born for the first time for the first time in modern history in the USA.

More White Americans Dying Than Being Born - WSJ.com

I mentioned this in other threads last year but in the PUSD preschool that our daughter went to last year.... white kids were the clear minority in her class and it was great for our daughter to be around so many cultures and races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego