Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 03:09 AM

187 posts, read 131,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
June bloom gloom has been going on in SD since before times. What's new here
We are new to the San Pasqual Valley, but based on our discussions with our neighbors what is different this year is the deep and persistent penetration into the inland areas. Some gloom is accepted but the locals residents near us expect it to lift by 11AM, not stay put until 4PM (which has been occurring regularly).

We were here last year in May and part of June, although not as full-timers yet, and I can say with certainty that it was much sunnier, with drastically less cloud cover than what we have this year.

All in all, as I have said before, in perspective this is still MUCH better than what we dealt with in the SF Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 08:01 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,259,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuhagiar View Post
We are new to the San Pasqual Valley, but based on our discussions with our neighbors what is different this year is the deep and persistent penetration into the inland areas. Some gloom is accepted but the locals residents near us expect it to lift by 11AM, not stay put until 4PM (which has been occurring regularly).

We were here last year in May and part of June, although not as full-timers yet, and I can say with certainty that it was much sunnier, with drastically less cloud cover than what we have this year.

All in all, as I have said before, in perspective this is still MUCH better than what we dealt with in the SF Bay Area.
Well, you did move from one of the gloomiest parts of the Bay Area to the sunniest parts of the SD region. But my parents in Walnut Creek have been having way more sun and warmth than we have here in Scripps Ranch. Everything in California depends on distance to the ocean vs inland.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:34 PM

50,254 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Ummmm 4 months of rain preceding it. Were you on vaca?

Old 06-08-2023, 07:29 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,931,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ummmm 4 months of rain preceding it. Were you on vaca?
June, not the 4 months prior which were cooler, mor overcast than prior years. It's all good, man, in SD

Old 06-09-2023, 12:09 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for this. From this day forward you are simply, gloom.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Thank you so much for this. From this day forward you are simply, gloom.

and doom. What's more gloomy are all the whiners about bad SD weather in this thread. Toughen up folks

Old 06-10-2023, 12:25 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,449,517 times
Quote:
and doom. What's more gloomy are all the whiners about bad SD weather in this thread. Toughen up folks

Trump agrees. Gloomy is MAGA weather. Put on your red ball cap.

Old 06-10-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Trump agrees. Gloomy is MAGA weather. Put on your red ball cap.

Sir, this is an Arby's

Old 06-11-2023, 08:00 AM

10,999 posts, read 6,860,952 times
I have no idea what you all are now talking about, but.... I agree, toughen up (even though I am definitely not maga).

Y'all should still consider yourselves fortunate.

Try being a native Californian (well, since age 1) who now lives in the northern Southeast. Constant gloom, rain, scary storms, lightning that causes a fire in the backyard, thunder that shakes the entire house, tornadoes that devastate entire towns and kill entire families.

Look at that frequent, what I have come to call "the diagonal of doom" on the U.S. weather map. It sweeps across the Midwest and wreaks gloom and havoc upon the Southeast. On a frequent, regular basis.

Then add in extreme humidity for 2-3 months a year along with myriad scary, disgusting, itchy biting bugs that are poison resistant. And if your neighbors on both sides use a pest control but you don't... guess who gets invaded by the bugs?

Think twice about selling your overvalued Southern California house to purchase something in a cheaper area of the country. There is a huge reason many areas are cheaper.

(For the record, I did not sell a house to move here.)

Now go out and take a walk in the "San Diego gloom" and think of all the people who are stuck in actual gloom.

Old 06-11-2023, 09:44 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,259,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I have no idea what you all are now talking about, but.... I agree, toughen up (even though I am definitely not maga).

Y'all should still consider yourselves fortunate.

Try being a native Californian (well, since age 1) who now lives in the northern Southeast. Constant gloom, rain, scary storms, lightning that causes a fire in the backyard, thunder that shakes the entire house, tornadoes that devastate entire towns and kill entire families.

Look at that frequent, what I have come to call "the diagonal of doom" on the U.S. weather map. It sweeps across the Midwest and wreaks gloom and havoc upon the Southeast. On a frequent, regular basis.

Then add in extreme humidity for 2-3 months a year along with myriad scary, disgusting, itchy biting bugs that are poison resistant. And if your neighbors on both sides use a pest control but you don't... guess who gets invaded by the bugs?

Think twice about selling your overvalued Southern California house to purchase something in a cheaper area of the country. There is a huge reason many areas are cheaper.

(For the record, I did not sell a house to move here.)

Now go out and take a walk in the "San Diego gloom" and think of all the people who are stuck in actual gloom.
Of course it's not dangerous or extreme, but even benign gloom is still depressing after 8 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego