Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:01 PM

23 posts, read 107,285 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a move to SF with small children, and though we are mostly considering Noe Valley / Pac Heights, we've also started to look at the Richmond since we've been told by so many that it is great for kids. However, I got a little worried when I saw this:

Victim Of Richmond District Mugging's Uncommon Experience: Getting Her Stuff Back: News: SFAppeal

Is the Richmond District known for a lot of muggings like this, or is this pretty rare? I'm not at all a stranger to the city (have lived in Manhattan for 15 years) but I live in a very safe neighborhood here (West Village) and would like to live somewhere that is just as safe in SF.

Any opinions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
Um... whoever told you Richmond is "great for kids" was likely pulling your leg or was maliciously giving you false information.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM

You are talking about the city of Richmond, or the Richmond District? I am talking about the Richmond District and so is that article. Just so you are clear.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:12 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Um... whoever told you Richmond is "great for kids" was likely pulling your leg or was maliciously giving you false information.
She said "Richmond DISTRICT"...not the City of Richmond.

Anyway, to the OP--- This neighborhood is safe. There's petty crime and car thefts etc, but violent type stuff is uncommon. I lived most of my life there and I've not experienced anything of this nature.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
The Richmond District is about as safe and quiet as it gets in SF and it's about as far as you can get within SF from the worst ghettos, but it's still part of a big city, just like Pac Heights and Noe Valley, so you'll see some crime from time to time. Plus Golden Gate Park has homeless crazies who live in the park or wander through it. I don't like the Richmond (or the Sunset) much though because it's quite far from downtown where I work but if you had a car I guess it's alright. Also it's very chilly and foggy compared with the rest of the city especially in summer.

I told you in the other topic to consider Rockridge in Oakland but you didn't seem interested. When it's 50 and cloudy and windy in the Richmond it will be 70 and sunny in Rockridge. Lots of young families with young kids and College Ave has a ton of restaurants and shops. It's 20 minutes from downtown SF on BART compared with 45-60 minutes on Muni from the Richmond District to downtown. I know you're resistant to the idea but just go check it out sometime, go to Rockridge and eat a meal at Soi Four or whatever and see what you think.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:38 PM

I've been to Rockridge and it is very cute! We'd just rather be in the city for now. Thanks though!

Old 02-10-2011, 02:54 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,906 times
I use to frequent Richmond and the Sunset for the restaurants and some bar nightlife. It does get cold and foggy at night time, especially the Sunset area near Ocean beach. In terms of safety? I felt pretty safe in those two areas. The only problem is that if you live in parts of Richmond w/o a garage, your life could get extremely stressful, fast!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:52 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola99 View Post
I'm planning a move to SF with small children, and though we are mostly considering Noe Valley / Pac Heights, we've also started to look at the Richmond since we've been told by so many that it is great for kids. However, I got a little worried when I saw this:

Victim Of Richmond District Mugging's Uncommon Experience: Getting Her Stuff Back: News: SFAppeal

Is the Richmond District known for a lot of muggings like this, or is this pretty rare? I'm not at all a stranger to the city (have lived in Manhattan for 15 years) but I live in a very safe neighborhood here (West Village) and would like to live somewhere that is just as safe in SF.

Any opinions?

Thanks!
I think Richmond feels far safer than Pacific Heights.

"At 9:40 p.m., two men, ages 29 and 30, were robbed at gunpoint at Webster and Sacramento streets in Pacific Heights, according to police. Wallets, cash and cell phones were taken"

Police investigating series of armed robberies overnight

Three injured in Pac Heights drive-by shooting

The area of Richmond I prefer is north of Geary. You have tons of restaurants and shops on Clement between 2nd and 12th and also around Clement and 23rd. The "1" bus runs on California directly to the Financial district. This is one of the few "good" bus lines in SF since it runs frequently and goes through mostly all nice neighborhoods.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I think Richmond feels far safer than Pacific Heights.

"At 9:40 p.m., two men, ages 29 and 30, were robbed at gunpoint at Webster and Sacramento streets in Pacific Heights, according to police. Wallets, cash and cell phones were taken"

Police investigating series of armed robberies overnight

Three injured in Pac Heights drive-by shooting

The area of Richmond I prefer is north of Geary. You have tons of restaurants and shops on Clement between 2nd and 12th and also around Clement and 23rd. The "1" bus runs on California directly to the Financial district. This is one of the few "good" bus lines in SF since it runs frequently and goes through mostly all nice neighborhoods.
Good lord...what's with the people that need to cut and paste the occasional crime incidents? It's a major city--crime happens. You'd find the same in just about every town. My aunts and uncles all still live in the Richmond District- all still alive and very well- nothing bad has happened to any of them (even on the other side of Geary). Even raised many children there who had to take buses alone w/o incident. All of my best friends still live out there and the Sunset- still alive- all with young children even!

I don't think crime is a huge concern for the majority of residents. Sure, if you're walking all alone at 3am in the morning or involved with crime to begin with then sure, you might be more "at risk". I think city life is just that- city life. Keep your wits about you and don't look like an easy target- I'd give the same advice to someone moving anywhere- even the suburbs.

Nowhere is immune from bored criminals. In fact, I've lived in many places over the years and have more or less touched by crime in every single place I've ever lived...luck of the draw. Shi* happens everywhere.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 PM

527 posts, read 1,576,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola99 View Post
Well, in the article you posted, it says: "Tomioka said it's uncommon to hear about purse snatchings in the Richmond District, and that the robbers were probably teenagers just looking for cash."

Also, you can find crime stats online, and sometimes it's helpful to look at the actual crime stats of a place where you feel safe, and compare them to somewhere you want to move. This gives you an idea of where you're comfortable. For example:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs006pct.pdf

That's West Village crime reports, and includes rape, robbery, and assault in the last tracked week. Compare with the crime map at crimespotting.org for the Richmond, and you see 2 simple assaults in the last tracked week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland