Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,936 times

Advertisements

Amazing to see a company really taking a stand for what they believe in. I applaud Jim Henson Company. Being that they produce some of the most well recognized children's programming, I think this sends a strong message to families that they are accepting of all people's rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 01:26 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Some people don't like bigots, and aren't interested in helping them fund their BS around here.
Then don't go to Chick-fil-a! If one opens is anyone forcing you to go? But there are some people that still want to go, so why impose YOUR beliefs on them and FORCE them to adhere to what YOU want??

Quote:
The "small group of activists trying to impose their beliefs on everyone else" are those rich bigwigs, hiding behind the franchise owners and employees as cover for their spreading of their Neanderthal message on civil rights.
And it's also people like this couple trying to prevent one from opening, same thing different side of the spectrum. Like I said, they are just as bad as the people they protest and even worse sometimes.

Why can't you let people make decisions for themselves? Do you think activists like this couple or people like you should be able to tell people where they can and can't shop/dine?

It's pretty simple, if you don't like a company for whatever reason then don't patronize it but what gives you the right to prevent others from doing so that don't have the same issue you do? I hate the Cheesecake Factory, but I'm not going to try to prevent others from enjoying it. Sorry, some of us actually believe in freedom of choice.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:23 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Those who have established roots, a community with some semblance of the type of consciousness they prefer, have a vested interest in preventing backwards, regressive capitalists from running roughshod over what they've worked to create. Sitting around doing nothing begs the moneyed ignorant to foul communities without a care for the impacts on its residents. The Bay Area hasn't totally lost it's drive to fight back, even with severe yuppification.

Would you object to the Aryan Nations being met by resident protests, should they decide to set up shop in Hunter's Point? Liberty University in the Castro? Marine recruiting office on Shattuck? (been through that) WalMart coming in and shutting down every mom and pop shop in virtually any small town? Sure, all this stuff is legal, but so is the freedom to protest against it.

Some guy wants to put what is fast becoming an emblem of civil rights suppression in a community that happens to house some people who object to that. The discussion about that and many other businesses is alive and well now, due to somebody standing up and saying "Hell no!" Surely we haven't gotten so lazy we've forgotten how many of our rights in this country have been obtained and preserved by such action.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:22 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Those who have established roots, a community with some semblance of the type of consciousness they prefer, have a vested interest in preventing backwards, regressive capitalists from running roughshod over what they've worked to create. Sitting around doing nothing begs the moneyed ignorant to foul communities without a care for the impacts on its residents. The Bay Area hasn't totally lost it's drive to fight back, even with severe yuppification.

Would you object to the Aryan Nations being met by resident protests, should they decide to set up shop in Hunter's Point? Liberty University in the Castro? Marine recruiting office on Shattuck? (been through that) WalMart coming in and shutting down every mom and pop shop in virtually any small town? Sure, all this stuff is legal, but so is the freedom to protest against it.

Some guy wants to put what is fast becoming an emblem of civil rights suppression in a community that happens to house some people who object to that. The discussion about that and many other businesses is alive and well now, due to somebody standing up and saying "Hell no!" Surely we haven't gotten so lazy we've forgotten how many of our rights in this country have been obtained and preserved by such action.
You're really reaching here, give me a break with this activist BS. Trying to compare Aryan Nation that advocates violence to a place that sells fast food? Somehow I knew some ridiculous comparison like that was coming, typical.

Maybe you think this activist couple and a few people that helped sign their petition or whatever represent the "community" but I don't. Especially here in the Bay Area there are lots of activists that make a ton of noise yet many times they don't appear to be the majority at all. Just a minority of self serving hypocrites imo.

I'm just glad the outer East Bay is more moderate and has less nutball activists so we can make our own decisions about what businesses to patronize.

Protest with your dollars and boycott, stop forcing others to adhere to what YOU think is right for them and what YOU think the community should and shouldn't support. This is why liberal activists are no different than conservative activists fundamentally, you all just want to make everyone do and say as you do.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:44 PM

Better than just sitting on your ass and doing nothing. Infiltration of Bible-thumpers sucks. We don't invade their territory, and some would just as soon they not invade ours.

Where there is protest, there is usually some form of counterprotest, so let God's Chicken People do their thing as well. (I wanna see this)

Last edited by bigdumbgod; 07-24-2012 at 06:53 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 PM

218 posts, read 483,679 times
Who eats this stuff anyways? Aren't most people in the Bay Area pretty health conscious? I haven't even seen too many MacDonalds around.

All I consume these days is protein shakes and grilled chicken.

Gotta keep this body rock hard for all the fine honeys

Old 07-25-2012, 11:42 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,728,065 times
Quote:
Some people don't like bigots, and aren't interested in helping them fund their BS around here. The "small group of activists trying to impose their beliefs on everyone else" are those rich bigwigs, hiding behind the franchise owners and employees as cover for their spreading of their Neanderthal message on civil rights.
You've convinced me! I will eat at Chick-fil-A whenever I can find one. Then I will send in a donation to the Boy Scouts!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
You've convinced me! I will eat at Chick-fil-A whenever I can find one. Then I will send in a donation to the Boy Scouts!
The Jesus Chicken loves you. But please don't go all Penn State on those poor little Scouts. They deal with enough of that already.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
Who eats this stuff anyways? Aren't most people in the Bay Area pretty health conscious? I haven't even seen too many MacDonalds around.

All I consume these days is protein shakes and grilled chicken.

Gotta keep this body rock hard for all the fine honeys
There are plenty of McDonald's in the Bay Area. Also Burger King, Wendy's, etc.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:26 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
There are plenty of McDonald's in the Bay Area. Also Burger King, Wendy's, etc.
There are a decent amount, but comparatively to other metros there are not that many (particularly in the inner bay area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland