Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 11:37 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to get the impression that the person the OP is portraying doesn't actually want to work.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:43 AM

569 posts, read 780,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorjpj1 View Post
I hate to repeat myself, but ill say it again: there IS no work for someone in my position... I haven't been able to be hired anywhere in almost 8 years now... Just trying filling out an application without an address, references, or job history! Good luck.. Generally only someone is homeless, UNLESS someone of means reaches down in the gutter and helps them out of it, and without a support system that actually works, they will probably be homeless for life! As is the case with me... Also, until you've walked in my shoes, you can't really judge me, or any poor desperate person.. You can talk about "opportunities" til the cows come home, but they are not available for many!! I speak whereof I know..
Most of the so-called "programs", are set-up SPECIFICALLY for bums fighting addictions, be it drugs or alcohol.. And the very few programs that exist for non-addicted homeless have waiting lists so long they might as well not be there.. Almost impossible to get on.. For example, in portland, there was a housing list, but it was 2 years long!! And thats IF you have some kind of income!! If you have nothing, you can't even get on the list!!
Many bums get checks of some type from the government, either disabled, or vets, or some kind of welfare... And many COULD get off the streets if they could stop their vices, but they choose to spend their checks on drugs/alcohol... In all my years being homeless, I am one of the very few who cant seem to get a check for anything!! So I receive zero real "help", hence my continuing homeless status anywhere I go!
Zero real help? On post #14 of this thread, you said you collect food stamps.

Have you gone to the New Orleans office of Labor Ready? They're not picky at all about who they hire for manual labor.

I don't need to walk in your shoes to see an attitude in your posts that you expect society to take care of you when you're adding nothing...and even flaunting it here.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:46 AM

78 posts, read 86,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I'm starting to get the impression that the person the OP is portraying doesn't actually want to work.
portraying? i dont know what you may think, but im not portraying anyone, just myself.. Question: what does an unsocially-skilled self-taught intelligent computer type guy, with no qualifications or references,no work background, zero formal education beyond 7th grade, and unfamiliar with and physically unequipped for hard manual labor actually do for work here? the answer, nothing! just try to be as comfortable as possible living on the street!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:50 AM

In other words, you've given up. And you expect the rest of us to support you in that decision.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
portraying? i dont know what you may think, but im not portraying anyone, just myself.. Question: what does an unsocially-skilled self-taught intelligent computer type guy, with no qualifications or references,no work background, zero formal education beyond 7th grade, and unfamiliar with and physically unequipped for hard manual labor actually do for work here? the answer, nothing! just try to be as comfortable as possible living on the street!

Old 07-15-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorjpj1 View Post
no work background
Earlier you said you "hadn't worked in 7 years," thus implying that you were working before that.

Quote:
unfamiliar with and physically unequipped for hard manual labor
Are you handicapped? You haven't mentioned that before. If that's the case, then there are all sorts of programs available to help you find work and housing.

Quote:
the answer, nothing!
That's because you spend so much time and energy on C-D instead of actually trying to acquire useful skills.

Last edited by pch1013; 07-15-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Earlier you said you "hadn't worked in 7 years," thus implying that you were working before that.

Are you handicapped? You haven't mentioned that before. If that's the case, then there are all sorts of programs available to help you find work and housing.

That's because you spend so much time and energy on C-D instead of actually trying to acquire useful skills.
hehe, i do what i can, WHEN i can!! most of my present time is spent looking for meals, but i also cant be outside long.. maybe a few minutes at a time!! the humidity and extreme heat keeps me from getting much done here... after i get there, at least that shouldnt be a problem!

Old 07-15-2014, 12:25 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
You say you haven't worked in seven years but also say you've been homeless more than half your life. I'm curious to know why, if you couldn't find a job, you didn't join the military. The cutoff age is 42 now so you could have joined and been off the streets. Is it easier to panhandle from strangers and live without any responsibilities than it is to make an effort to make your way in the world and be self-supporting? No disabilities? No mental illness? Just a self-taught computer guy who isn't illiterate (obviously).

Just wondering when you lost your motivation or if you ever had any, in the first place.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:33 PM

629 posts, read 620,108 times
If someone needs help because they are unable to help themselves, I will do what I can. But I will not help those who will not help themselves. Stay in nawlins, please.
Learn a trade. Volunteer your time for free to learn said trade, then move up from there. It really is that easy. Of course, that would require effort. And being a real person helps as well. Which is becoming less and less likely...

Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You say you haven't worked in seven years but also say you've been homeless more than half your life. I'm curious to know why, if you couldn't find a job, you didn't join the military. The cutoff age is 42 now so you could have joined and been off the streets. Is it easier to panhandle from strangers and live without any responsibilities than it is to make an effort to make your way in the world and be self-supporting? No disabilities? No mental illness? Just a self-taught computer guy who isn't illiterate (obviously).

Just wondering when you lost your motivation or if you ever had any, in the first place.
Ill say again, Ive NEVER "panhandled", not once... And yes, I TRIED to join the military when I was 17! Back in 87.. Took the asvab, whizzed it, top score for the last 2 years in my part of new york... However, I was 'too eager"! There was no big war at the time, they weren't desperate, and I basically told them "just show me who to kill"!! "Just give me some guns, grenades, explosives, etc, and point the way!! Ill do the rest! Dont worry about it!" After I told the recruiter that, they basically said "wait until we call", and of course they never did! So I cannot say I didnt try, I surely did!! So now, homeless bum til I keel over I guess(or take the "golden gate exit", as Ive heard it called, when I get tired of my struggle! Of course, id better hurry, as I've heard they are going to put a net underneath it soon!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland