Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 05:17 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
The problem is that most of the homeless, at least in SF, are either mentally ill or addicted (quite often both); and many of the remaining ones just don't want to work under any circumstances.

A few years ago I took a part-time customer service job at a SOMA business that happens to be right next door to a homeless shelter. On one of my first days, I was greeted by a fresh pile of human waste right in front of the door. Being the new guy, I was asked to hose it off... and I apologize if you're reading this while or after eating, but apparently some of splashed into my face and I ended up with a nice case of amoebiasis.
Ah, the smell and tastes of San Francisco.

Sorry you, or anyone else for that matter, had to deal with something like this.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:02 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
The problem is that most of the homeless, at least in SF, are either mentally ill or addicted (quite often both); and many of the remaining ones just don't want to work under any circumstances.

A few years ago I took a part-time customer service job at a SOMA business that happens to be right next door to a homeless shelter. On one of my first days, I was greeted by a fresh pile of human waste right in front of the door. Being the new guy, I was asked to hose it off... and I apologize if you're reading this while or after eating, but apparently some of splashed into my face and I ended up with a nice case of amoebiasis.
Yes, I remember the whole dual-diagnosis thing. And what you experienced was awful. I'm old enough to remember when Reagan started closing the state mental health hospital system down so that patients could get treatment "in the community". It started there. But that's for another thread. Sorry for your city..was a beautiful place, my favorite at one time.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:09 PM

13,765 posts, read 8,014,399 times
SF has nice weather and you don't need a car.

However, the vibe is depressing and given the cost of living it's not worth it for me.

City politics have basically ruined the city but my rental property does bring in a nice chuck of money each month and that's really nice.

The property is worth just under one million dollars but if Prop 13 were to go then I would to take the money and run.

It's a major hassle owning rental property in SF but because the net income is so good I find it worth the headache.

(I own rentals in three cities outside of Cal. and if you're not happy with tenants you can decide not to renew their lease. And if they fail to pay the rent you can evict/get them out within 30 days.)

Old 07-15-2014, 08:13 PM

555 posts, read 803,643 times
I think the OP should take the advice of many here and look further north. I live in Seattle and am considering moving to SF because the bum problem is not as bad in SF. THAT should tell you something right there.

The list pch1013 posted shows that SF is at least doing something. These things happen in Seattle too---but the city's policy is to ignore it. Seriously, they treat bums here like a protected class.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
I think the OP should take the advice of many here and look further north. I live in Seattle and am considering moving to SF because the bum problem is not as bad in SF. THAT should tell you something right there.

The list pch1013 posted shows that SF is at least doing something.
Mostly what we're doing is screaming at each other across the mainstream liberal/progressive divide. There is an extremely vocal contingent that believes, as you say, that the homeless should be considered a protected class. Many of them are associated with the "homeless-industrial complex" that has a vested interest in maintaining the status quo, because otherwise they'd lose the nice fat City subsidies they get for doing essentially nothing, and then they'd have to go get real jobs.

This category includes activists and do-gooders (and I do not mean that in a pejorative sense), but also owners of SROs and corner liquor stores and various other businesses that prey on the poor. Their unholy alliance is one of the reasons why the Tenderloin is still a cesspit from hell.

The Board of Supervisors is fairly evenly divided between old-skool mush-headed "progressives" for whom "qualify of life" is a dirty word (well OK, 3 words) and mainstream liberal Democrats. The latter group tries to find pragmatic solutions; the former group just has temper tantrums. It's occasionally entertaining, but also tiresome.

SF used to be known as "the city that knows how," but that's a cruel joke nowadays.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:05 PM

555 posts, read 803,643 times
pch1013:
That's about where we were a decade ago. Today, the City Council is mostly mush-headed progressives who throw temper tantrums vs. militant leftists who'd gleefully arm the 'homeless' with pitchforks and have them storm Westlake Mall if they could get away with it. That's a main reason why the bums here are so violent, the activists and enablers actually egg them on and preach to them that they're victims.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:52 AM

78 posts, read 86,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post

The list pch1013 posted shows that SF is at least doing something. These things happen in Seattle too---but the city's policy is to ignore it. Seriously, they treat bums here like a protected class.
I was in seattle for 3 hours, nothing about it I liked.. Been there done that!! Saw the space needle, the bums, the market(pikes pigs haha).. Was NOT impressed.. Ill pass...
And yes, to the other commentator, the homeless SHOULD be a "protected class"! No doubt in my mind.. They may be the ONLY group in america SO hated by the "haves"(meaning the rest of you), and with absolutely no pull or say on anything in this country! All you people with money should be truly ashamed for NOT doing your part and directly helping the helpless in this country!! If there is a God, I doubt he'll show you mercy either, just for the way you treat your poor and unfortunates!!

Old 07-16-2014, 11:08 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,282,608 times
You sure are picky! Maybe that's why you have no job, home, or anything to show for yourself.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:22 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorjpj1 View Post
And ill answer your questions bolo cause you seem to be genuinely curious... I didn't buy a ticket, someone else did for me.. As far as "important" documents go, the only ones I have are 2 state ids, ss card, birth certificate.. And those I keep in my pocket 24 hours a day... I usually find a storage locker or TINY storage unit so I dont have to carry my bag ALL the time.. Usually for anywhere between 25-35 a month(tiny, like I said)
I have all my teeth, brush daily, so thats not an issue.. Since I dont drink at ALL,you would never see me passed out drunk!! In fact, I never LOOK homeless, I try to blend in as much as possible.. MOST cities have shower facilities for the homeless, laundry facilities, etc.. But A LOT of bums dont bother, since they dont care what they look like.. I always have clean hair, shaved smooth face, clean clothes, etc... I carry 1 small bag with my laptop and tablet, so I can get on the internet 24 hours a day if I find a signal...
Luckily I always have foodstamps wherever I go(got about 300 in stamps right now).. And no, I dont believe in "selling" them, I need them to eat!! Thats why I asked about BIG grocery stores and supermarkets downtown.. I eat CHEAP, but only if its a big chain type store(no trader joes thank you, their prices are sky high for anything).. Safeway might be my best bet.. I need walking distance and cheap!! So I hope ive answered sufficiently you you know Im NOT a troll! Just a homeless guy trying to get info for my future survival when I arrive!!!
Our food prices are pretty high out here. Most people here consider Trader Joes cheap. You might look at a Mi Pueblo for a better deal.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:54 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorjpj1 View Post
I was in seattle for 3 hours, nothing about it I liked.. Been there done that!! Saw the space needle, the bums, the market(pikes pigs haha).. Was NOT impressed.. Ill pass...
And yes, to the other commentator, the homeless SHOULD be a "protected class"! No doubt in my mind.. They may be the ONLY group in america SO hated by the "haves"(meaning the rest of you), and with absolutely no pull or say on anything in this country! All you people with money should be truly ashamed for NOT doing your part and directly helping the helpless in this country!!
The City and County of San Francisco spends $167 million a year on homeless programs. That amounts to $12,000 for each and every homeless person here, including the ones on the streets, in shelters, and in transitional or supportive housing.

SF spends more on homeless programs than it does on Child & Family Services, Public Works, or Recreation & Parks.

This doesn't even count the vast amounts of money and time that get donated to the Food Bank, the various churches, and other non-profits from generous San Franciscans. The Food Bank alone takes in $60 million a year in cash and in-kind donations.

And now you're trying to guilt us into paying even more, just because you think you're a special snowflake who deserves to live in the 2nd most expensive city in the country despite having contributed (and planning to contribute) absolutely nothing to this community?

And you expect us to roll out the Welcome Wagon when you announce your intention to import your insanity into a city that already has more than enough of it?

Really?

Last edited by pch1013; 07-16-2014 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland