Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 09:40 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,282,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
1000 ft in Antelope valley.

Only the peaks got snow, why isnt snow on the official records at LAX? hmm?

Santa Monica has never recorded a temp below 32 F and no frost.

i visit every year or so.

I never said fremont is COLD i said its not as hot as the OP makes it sound, yes Walnut creek makes Fremont look cold, and yes most LA/OC beaches are warmer than Freemont. DO YOU SEE?
Again, you are just making this up as you go along. I actually work in Fremont and it regularly tops 80 degrees. WC is maybe 5-10 degrees hotter in the summer because it's inland and sometimes gets past 90s during a heatwave, but Fremont isn't cold, not even compared to WC. It's a bit warmer than Oakland on average. You have zero clue what you're talking about and now you're just grasping at straws. The goal posts you've moved might as well be in different countries at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBNative View Post
Oakland is much more like Long Beach. Both pretty laid back cities within a few miles of Larger cities.
I have no idea where this comes from. LB is flat as a pancake and by the ocean. Its downtown looks nothing like Oakland. The only thing they really share is crime and diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 09:56 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,475,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
LAX has recorded trace amounts of snow.

You said the Bay Area is too cold except for inland places like Walnut Creek and Concord, which would include Fremont. Yes you did say it's not as hot as the OP makes it sounds and went on about how nice and comparable the highs are to Coastal SoCal then turn around and claim it's too cold, contradicting yourself.
no, not comparable to Coastal socal, comparable to LA as a whole (which includes Valleys).

Old 09-28-2014, 10:03 AM

It's a ridiculous comparison. One that you keep insisting on making, but to no avail. Please pick up your ball and go back home to SoCal.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:10 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
I get that there are some similarities but why are you reaching so far to compare Oakland to LA instead of to SF? Oakland and SF share land size, the Bay, climate, homes on hillsides, diversity, liberal politics, BART, actual people, etc...

This is akin to the city of Long Beach trying to compare itself to Chicago instead of LA.

People from the east have such a distorted view of LA, that comparing Oakland to LA is going to be so inaccurate that you'll save time by just accurately describing Oakland.

Why not say Oakland is like a less dense, less urbanized SF?

There almost seems to be some tacit "don't dare link Oakland to SF lest the City becomes tainted."

Stereotyping. You think there's more "quirky/alternative + burgeoning tech" in Oakland than LA?
Oakland and SF may share a metro but they're really not much alike believe it or not. Parts of Oakland really do resemble LA where as no part of SF does in any way.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Cities in Coastal Socal have never seen a frost but yet oakland does. that is quite a difference.

"Winters a Joke", high temps in from mid 50s to upper 50s up north in winter compared to mid 60s to low 70s highs down south wouldnt be too much of a joke, but to 90 % of other americans living in other states yes it is a joke.

Jan/Feb/march, those days you speak of must be with highs in the 70s but right away you need to warm up cause night temps drop into 40s.

look LA isnt just LAX to the coast its hunreds of square miles inland, into valleys and up hills. so yes overall LA is much warmer than a city that rarely sees 80 F heat and when it does its people are dying of heat. the coast is warmer than oakland (depends on which beach it goes from warmer, to much warmer like Long Beach), then inland into south LA it gets warmer, then from Downtown/East LA inland to valleys it is much warmer with yearly average highs near or above 80 F, a temp that Oakland sees too little.
Um...I've seen frost a number of times and do so each winter in Chula Vista so not all of coastal socal is frost free. The winter nights get just as cold as they do in Oakland.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
LA is not OC, I know you try to ride the coat tails of the warmer OC water temps and beach temps but LA beaches are colder both in the water and in the air than SD beaches. The warmest water is Southern OC and NORTHERN SD County

Long Beach facing south does help make it warmer, like it does for Santa Cruz but many of those other ones are not. I suggest you take a look at where many of those temps are, places like Torrance and Seal Beach are take 3 miles inland. You really think the temp swings between 80 and 60 on the beach in San Clemente in August? Must be some special microclimate that only exists on Orange County.

Trust me, SD county beaches are much warmer than the chilly 63 degrees Santa Monica and Venice average at night.

Oh so now I can't use Santa Monica's temps at night in summer b/c it's taken on the pier but you can for winter night time lows? See this is how you keep moving the goal post to fit your argument. Santa Monica is so warm and night in winter and has never seen frost but we can't look at their summer high temps. Nice try but your constant flip flopping and contradictions are apparent. I guess use whatever weather station fits your argument at the time but then dismiss when it doesn't huh?

Have you ever even lived within a mile of the actual ocean anywhere in Southern Ca?
LA Metro is OC, just like oakland is considered SF Bay Area, if anything OC should be more to LA than Oakland is to SF.

really because the Northern OC beaches are the coldest in air temp, in all of Socal, SD hottest coastal Area is DTSD (75,77,76 in its 3 hottest months), 1 because of urban heat effect and 2 because it gets sheilding from point loma.

beaches that are warmer in LA /OC are Redondo, torrance, palos verdes estates, rancho palos verdes, san pedro, wilmington, long beach, seal beach, laguna beach, dana point, and san clemente.

again santa monica temps are taken on a pier with no sheilding, no heat radiating from anywhere, and nothing absorbing heat to release at night ompared to San diego's recording place. if anything the temps would be warmer than 51 in winter and for sure 63 in summer (Santa Monica) thanks to heat buildings and asphalt absorb and then release at night.

trust me, ive lived here most of my life, not within a mile of the ocean, but i worked for over 10 years right on the ocean.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
80 is too hot and so is LA. You can keep that weather:-)

And nobody is impressed by the oppressive heat in the San Fernando Valley. Congrats, its hot like Fresno. Yuck.
Can't rep you again but, yeah that^^^

Old 09-28-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
It's a ridiculous comparison. One that you keep insisting on making, but to no avail. Please pick up your ball and go back home to SoCal.
but you guys still get hurt when i try comparing walnut creek to SFV, which is completely fair, but you guys dissmiss it so how can i put this?

Old 09-28-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
LA Metro is OC, just like oakland is considered SF Bay Area, if anything OC should be more to LA than Oakland is to SF.

really because the Northern OC beaches are the coldest in air temp, in all of Socal, SD hottest coastal Area is DTSD (75,77,76 in its 3 hottest months), 1 because of urban heat effect and 2 because it gets sheilding from point loma.

beaches that are warmer in LA /OC are Redondo, torrance, palos verdes estates, rancho palos verdes, san pedro, wilmington, long beach, seal beach, laguna beach, dana point, and san clemente.

again santa monica temps are taken on a pier with no sheilding, no heat radiating from anywhere, and nothing absorbing heat to release at night ompared to San diego's recording place. if anything the temps would be warmer than 51 in winter and for sure 63 in summer (Santa Monica) thanks to heat buildings and asphalt absorb and then release at night.

trust me, ive lived here most of my life, not within a mile of the ocean, but i worked for over 10 years right on the ocean.
We don't trust you. You keep making things up. LOL

Old 09-28-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
We don't trust you. You keep making things up. LOL
My friend name one thing i "made up".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland