Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2021, 10:34 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
QNON are whack jobs. Trump lost because he reverted to 2010s Tea Party Conservativism and failed Reaganomics and abandoned any real populism.
Yes. It's interesting, that none of his original base noticed, that he failed to create jobs for them, or to revive American industry, including the steel industry, and that the Rust Belt is still rusting, and everyone's still unemployed and collecting food stamps, or eking out an existence as cashiers or greeters for Wal-Mart. Or maybe they did notice, but decided they're ok with it, as long as he waves the flag and lets them vent their frustrations on phantoms like "Antifa"?

Back to topic...
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680;
The White Anglo-dominant theory of "rugged individualism" has taken a nasty toll on younger whites. It has left them without safety nets and close-knit families, it has made their living environments unaffordable and left many of them to flounder.
. The gutting of safety nets was not the result of some out-of-control "individualism" ethos. It was the result of Republican policies of robbing the federal budget to fund tax giveaways to people who don't need them.

The unaffordability of tech-dominant cities wasn't the result of "rugged individualism", either. Part of it is the result of RE speculation run amok, a new ethos in which house flipping and skyrocketing rent gouging have not only been allowed (often in spite of rent control laws), but are now considered a virtue. This is about greed, not "rugged individualism".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 06:26 PM

17 posts, read 15,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
I agree 100% that radical individualism, find your way in the world on your own mentality, has been cancerous, especially for those from Middle Class White backgrounds.

Long term Multi-culturalism is inventible with all groups acting in their group interest.

Are you talking about trends from the current remote work exodus?

My impression is that the Central Valley's Indian community is more working class and Punjabi and insular from the Bay Area's techies who tend to be higher caste Hindus from Southern India.

I agree.. Most punjabis who moved and settled in central valley or manteca, tracy, mountain house etc. in Northern CA came under asylum application immigration during the 2000s. some also spilled over to the new communities of east dublin when prices there at McMansions were in the $600-$800k range in 2009-2012. Now those same McMansions are worth $1.4 to $1.7M each so they have gained double the equity which is great. But doubling equity doesn't double class.. East Dublin or Dublin in general is considered the lowest of the lowest class community of CA. Living there you are stuck with these folks judgmental and bad attitude towards anyone except their own kind.. I remember once someone told me there is/was facebook group of nannies/cooks consisting solely of women from manteca, modesto, tracy area of only punjabi community. In this group they discussed things like which non-so-favored caste to target and make sure to teach bad manners to the children of those particular families so that their children turn out to be bad kids. Cooks sometimes discussed about spitting in the food they cooked at the families they worked at because they were jealous of that family's success being from different caste. It was a brutal group of people who discussed long term plans to mess with people who are non-indians or from different caste than theirs.. I was aware of indians to be insular but this particular thing scared me to hire the manteca, tracy-side nannies/cooks. This exodus out of SFO is great in the sense that the burden on the city is reduced, but anyone who is considering moving to East Dublin from places like San Jose or Fremont or Los Gatos or even SFO and who have small children, I really feel bad for them, their children and their future as they are making the biggest mistake of their life and probably don't even know it!

Old 01-15-2021, 11:13 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,055,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Back to topic...
. The gutting of safety nets was not the result of some out-of-control "individualism" ethos. It was the result of Republican policies of robbing the federal budget to fund tax giveaways to people who don't need them.

In my opinion, a strong appeal was/is/has been made by Republicans to that ethos.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:45 PM

124 posts, read 110,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfamily1234 View Post
East Dublin is broadly South Asian - mostly punjabis who only converse with punjabis or south indians/tamilians/telugus who only converse with their own kind. This insular-ness and invard-ness could be common with tech enclaves, but its especially more common with Indians due to the caste and creed system they operate on in india.

On a side note, this insular cultural bias is also the reason that historically india has been conquered and ruled so many times because the people themselves create division among themselves over caste, color, religion and fight with each other over these differences rather than uniting against a common foe!

If you see the politics of india currently most indians have become even more casteist and racist since modi was elected, even the indians in east dublin became more radicalized and fundamentalist since then. They had zero tolerance for anyone different from themselves. East Dublin is dominated by indian community and the indians there had this attitude that east dublin belongs to them and people of any other race or religion they made damn sure to make them feel unwelcome. Me and my family left that pathetic dump of a place long back and have never looked back!
Most punjabis probably talk to other punjabis because Punjabis tend to be Sikhs. Sikhism is a totally different religion than Hinduism. Sikhs don't believe in the caste system.

Most Tamils are Hindus, so they probably only talk to other Hindus.

Furthermore, India is a British creation. The British were there for like 200 years. The British took over the region and named it after the East India Tea company. Before the British, the Mughal empire just took over all of the different kingdoms, with different cultures, in that area. The mughal empire was from the middle east. The British just took over all the kingdoms after the Mughals and made it one country.

Can't be quick to judge others . There are thousands of dynamics involved.

Last edited by BayAreaResiding; 01-16-2021 at 01:22 PM..

Old 01-16-2021, 12:55 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,286,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
In my opinion, a strong appeal was/is/has been made by Republicans to that ethos.
Yes, the appeal has been made by short sighted talking points.

-Talking point: No socialized medicine
-Republican response: Let's repeal Obamacare with no replacement idea, thus getting rid of coverage for tens of millions

-Talking point: Mask wearing requirements represents government control
-Republican response: No requirements while COVID deaths spiral out of control

-Talking point: China is to blame for all of our economic hardships
-Republican response: China tariffs, which cause retaliatory measures, thus placing hardships on Midwestern farmers

-Talking point: Drill baby drill
-Republican response: End regulation, with natural disasters due to global warming (e.g., fires, floods, hurricanes) putting us in increased peril

-Talking point: Manufacturing jobs are coming back
-Republican response: Tout a couple token examples of companies adding manufacturing, while the rust belt continues to decline with no end to economic malaise for the structurally unemployed

-Talking point: Guns aren't the problem, its the mentally ill
-Republican response: Continue to tout this without doing anything, while mass shootings become more frequent and more deadly

Yeah, seems like those "plans" are working.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:33 PM

17 posts, read 15,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaResiding View Post
Most punjabis probably talk to other punjabis because Punjabis tend to be Sikhs. Sikhism is a totally different religion than Hinduism. Sikhs don't believe in the caste system.

Most Tamils are Hindus, so they probably only talk to other Hindus.

Furthermore, India is a British creation. The British were there for like 200 years. The British took over the region and named it after the East India Tea company. Before the British, the Mughal empire just took over all of the different kingdoms, with different cultures, in that area. The mughal empire was from the middle east. The British just took over all the kingdoms after the Mughals and made it one country.

Can't be quick to judge others . There are thousands of dynamics involved.
"Sikhs don't believe in the caste system"???? Did you just make that up? That community of people were the biggest aggressors towards me and my family when I lived in Dublin. They have an entire Facebook group where they discuss which Indian family from other caste to target, like spitting in the food of their employer, teaching their employer's children bad habits, etc. I was so shocked when I found that Facebook group. You know that's a crime, right? These people come under asylum throwing their own country (India) under the bus making up lies saying the "Indian" government is torturing them, tricking the US Immigration department with their lies to get under Asylum immigration. Sikhs / Punjabis / anyone in India are extremely nice, but the ones who come here under "asylum" especially, do so on a false and unethical basis to begin with.

India was never a British creation. Real Natives of Indian subcontinent were the Dravidians from Southern India. People from the middle east and eastern europe migrated and merged with India which is where the north indians come from. Mughal empire didn't take over all of the different kingdoms, they cut a deal with the rulers of some Indian kingdoms to profit off of the Indian people and keep them oppressed. It was not as if the citizens of these mughal empires back in middle east were living it up, they were oppressed too. The corrupt deal Mughals cut with Indian rulers was a win-win for rulers of both the kingdoms. The Indian rulers that pushed against this corruption were mostly Marathas who got very little cooperation from other Indian rulers, but they fought till the end. History is not as black and white as you make it.

India's position was weakened and corrupted by the time the British came in. But the Britishers had a 200 year contract with India, they didn't "take over" as you say. The British east india trading company waged a messy war with as many Indian rulers helping them as fighting against them.

Coming back to the present, the only nicest Indian community in the Bay Area (by Bay Area I mean proper Silicon Valley like Mountain View, Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Atherton, etc.) are the Southern Indians who worked very hard to get into good schools in US for their Masters and achieved their wealth through hard work and determination. The Indians who live in East Dublin, Tracy, Mountain House, etc majority of them have come to this country under asylum visa. Yes, there are many South Indians in East Dublin, San Ramon etc too but that area is mostly dominated by asylum immigrants which makes it a horrible area to live, no matter how expensive the homes are up there.

Also, the public schools in East Dublin (Dougherty Middle schools, Wells Middle School/ Cottonwood / Amador / Dublin High etc) barely get any funding or donations from the parents. The schools in East Dublin struggle to get parents to donate enough money even though these parents bought their homes long back, for dirt cheap, and have vacation homes and cabins, traveling internationally twice a year, but do not bother to donate to their children's public schools! The public schools in Silicon Valley (Menlo Park, Mountain View, Palo Alto) parents are so invested in their kids' future, they give whatever donation they can even if they can't afford it. That's called community. Everyone out here in Silicon Valley is invested in building a community which factors into the overall reason why homes up here are so expensive. It's commitment, hard work and long term vision that only exists here, not in the low level cesspool of lazy-land, prison-town East Dublin.

Even the hospitals, and other services around East Dublin cater to the prison population - inmates. If you go to the ER at ValleyCare, its dominated mostly either by East Dublin prison inmates or shady people who are on their way to East Dublin Santa Rita Jail prison. Many patients in Dublin area hospitals are fighting drug and alcohol additions, and the hospital staff are trained to interpret symptoms accordingly. For example, when my neighbor (a highly accomplished startup founder) was in the ER for IBS, they let him sit in pain for 3 hours in the ER before bothering to treat him because they assumed he was on drugs. The hospital is so used to treating drug addicts, they thought my neighbor is too! So, even the services regular people get there is awful!

The Bluffs at Tassajara Hills are a straight shot to the prison but are marketed as luxury? what a joke! I remember a woman in East Dublin was brutally attacked by a newly released inmate from Santa Rita Jail while walking her dog in the middle of the day! The trauma she experienced from that was discussed for months on Nextdoor with some people (esp from Indian community) blaming her, the victim! It was outrageous how she was shamed; that poor woman! She later deleted her post because she was shamed so much by the community on Nextdoor and most of those people shaming her were from Indian community. I will never forget how they tried so hard to find ways to blame her; it was heart-wrenching.

I can write an entire book on how horrible, discriminating, hostile and aggressive the place and the people were at East Dublin - be it Positano, Jordan Ranch, Dublin Ranch, The Bluffs at Tassajara Hills whatever! I will take racism from a white-privileged karen or ken from Danville or Walnut Creek any day compared to the hostile aggression of Indian community from East Dublin! Karens or Kens are nothing compared to what I have experienced living in that horrible awful dump of a prison town Dublin!

Old 01-18-2021, 12:20 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,736,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Really low % of 3-br units, I would think more families would want to live in San Ramon versus single and/or childless couples. Has the same architect as City Center too, which imo is god awful and mind numbingly sterile. It's good they are redeveloping the area for housing though.
Bishop Ranch feels like a 1990s style off ramp office park encircling a 2000s style outdoor shopping area. The views of the hills are nice, but whole development feels a little dated.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:07 AM

10 posts, read 18,111 times
The Asian population in the lower and middle classes has decreased all over the Bay Area while the percentage of White people, presence of white people all over the bay area has actually increased by a lot, particularly among the yuppie sector in the upper and upper-middle class.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:16 AM

wow, i feel you and whoever else been through that, that's horrible. I notice many (not all) Punjabis in Canada and East Coast US to be pretty hostile and rude people, pretty horrible in general (not all but most). Some Punjabis are very fine people. But yeah, it's not just a bay area thing. The Punjabi communities in other places have a lot of similar aggressive
toxic crap too.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:30 AM

No, it's just a mythical stereotype all to do with the myth of Model Minority, nothing to do with "Confucian mumbo jumbo bs". Yes, the Cupertino and Fremont attracts that kind of "Stanford or death" model myth Asian but if you go down to Daly City, San Leandro, Richmond, Oakland, or San Francisco and look at the much more working class predmominantly Cantonese speaking immigrants there, the children don't necessarily have as much high expectations or intense tutoring or expectation to become an engineer or go into a ivy league or top university, Cantonese parents will just reason their kids to make a lot of money if they can but they don't specify the source or where the money would be coming from. Cantonese parents would even be happy with their children being gangsters or prostitutes as long as they make lots of cash or good money.

So Cantonese parents see it more as in how much the children are getting out of something or a future, money wise, even if it's fraudulent or illegal whereas Mandarin speaking families from Taiwan and other regions of China see it more as a EDUCATIONAL thing so a mother from taiwan or a dad from Shanghai or Beijing or even a working class parent from Fujian (Fujianese and Cantonese cultures are vastly different despite both being south, Fujian has more historical influences from Confucian cultures in Northern China whereas Cantonese culture is very mixed with indigenous folk practices which is also mixed with a heavy Taoist and Buddhist lineage and the Confucian element is less strong or more diminished, in comparison to other areas of China). Even the cultures of the Hakkas and nearby Chiu Chow is more strongly Confucian shaped than that of it's Cantonese and Taishanese neighbours.

So it's not whole countries in Asia that have monolithic cultures but rather distinct sections or regions within a country. Cantonese people are not East Asian, they are a mixture of indigenous Baiyue tribes with Han settlers from the North, some are even totally descended from assimilated Yue ethnic minorities such as the Zhuang with little to no Han admixture.

Cantonese culture is quite different from the cultures in the rest of China. It's developed on it's own form. It is nowhere near pure Han culture or ancient Han culture. There's a lot of indigenous elements. The fake Tang dynasty pride that Cantonese pride with themselves is full of myth and fake history. Yes, Cantonese has some Tang elements in it but it is by no means the dominant force of the people. Cantonese people like to think they are the same as other East Asians such as Northern Chinese, Taiwanese and Koreans but in truth they are very distinct and differ greatly from the other groups.

Cantonese people actually have some cultural and physical attributes more in common with the Natives of Thailand and Vietnam as well as Indonesia than they do with other East Asians. Canton is not even in East Asia, look at a freaking map, it's right into the tropic of Cancer. Canton is a borderline tropical region. It is way south. It is a far southern culture, not a northern one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland