Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 12:17 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Hard to have a family in a 1 bedroom condo.
So buy a two bedroom or three bedroom condo. You can buy those on 100k in San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Wow. Just, wow.
Ask somebody who grew up in London if he would rather have a three bedroom condo in London or a large single family home in Leeds. He'll definitely say he would prefer London. I can see wanting to move away if you are from a small town in the middle of nowhere, but I'm from Silicon Valley.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:36 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
You do realize that if you and your significant other make $200K yearly and you came up with 10% or 20% down payment on a $1M home with a monthly mortgage of $6K or $5K and one of you loses his or her job, you won't be able to pay your mortgage, right?

Living paycheck to paycheck is not a good way to live. Living above your means isn't either. Make smart choices... and while I don't think Neutrino is trolling either, taking financial advice from someone in the bay area who makes $11/ hour and promotes the room mate lifestyle should be taken with a very fine grain of salt.
This is why you should be renting. In one hand you complain about life is hard here, you hated here, but the real reason why you moved here because you don't have jobs where you come from. You can't have it both ways.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:58 AM

958 posts, read 1,148,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Ask somebody who grew up in London if he would rather have a three bedroom condo in London or a large single family home in Leeds. He'll definitely say he would prefer London. I can see wanting to move away if you are from a small town in the middle of nowhere, but I'm from Silicon Valley.
So youre from the burbs and comparing it to london? Lol...

Old 03-21-2016, 09:05 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
So buy a two bedroom or three bedroom condo. You can buy those on 100k in San Francisco.
No those are a million dollars plus. One bedroom condos in SF are about $700k on average. Not affordable to your $100k earner. And in 95% of the US middle class families want and expect SFH. You can do that in NYC (via NJ, CT or even Queens). And in Boston burbs. The Bay Area is the only bizarro land place where there are no middle class affordable cities in the region.

We don't even build family size condos.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No those are a million dollars plus. One bedroom condos in SF are about $700k on average.
Nope.

San Francisco, San Francisco, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

It is the SFHs that people can't afford on the median salary, not the condos. Condos are more like 300-500k not one million.

That's the way it should be. I would support a ban on new SFHs in SF and SJ.

The Bay Area is very affordable on the median income.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
So youre from the burbs and comparing it to london? Lol...
I'm from a suburb in Silicon Valley. And yes I am comparing Silicon Valley (and the San Francisco Bay Area of which Silicon Vally is a part) to London.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,601,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
This is why you should be renting. In one hand you complain about life is hard here, you hated here, but the real reason why you moved here because you don't have jobs where you come from. You can't have it both ways.
Life is hard here?

No, I never said that. I don't hate it here, either.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:52 AM

958 posts, read 1,148,086 times
Quote:
Nope.

San Francisco, San Francisco, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

It is the SFHs that people can't afford on the median salary, not the condos. Condos are more like 300-500k not one million.

That's the way it should be. I would support a ban on new SFHs in SF and SJ.

The Bay Area is very affordable on the median income.
Try again, buddy. I bet there is something wrong with that place... i dont see an address for example. The median resale value of an sf condo is over 800k.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...r-records.html

Old 03-21-2016, 12:05 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Try again, buddy. I bet there is something wrong with that place... i dont see an address for example. The median resale value of an sf condo is over 800k.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...r-records.html
It's in Brisbane, for one thing, advertised as San Francisco. And there seem to be design issues, for whatever reason; corner windows only? Could that be because the only view is of the building next door, or some eyesore? It shows that buying a condo in the general vicinity of SF is doable, but it wouldn't be the kind of condo most people would want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland