Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 04:10 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,072,463 times

Advertisements

Well, people afford them. It depends on down payment etc like we were talking about before.

Apparently most people rent around here, rather than buy.

I don't know, owning a building is just not important to me. Maybe because I grew up in a suburb of a very dense area. People dont expect to own big houses in London, either, for the same reason. And London has comparable CoL.

Somebody said on here that one would expect to own a sfh in a place like San Jose but not San Francisco, but they're wrong. San Jose is actually bigger than SF now. For hundreds of years, SF was the largest city in a 300 mile radius, but not anymore. So in both places, you should expect to either rent or maybe buy a condo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 06:49 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,725,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Well, people afford them. It depends on down payment etc like we were talking about before.

Apparently most people rent around here, rather than buy.

I don't know, owning a building is just not important to me. Maybe because I grew up in a suburb of a very dense area. People dont expect to own big houses in London, either, for the same reason. And London has comparable CoL.

Somebody said on here that one would expect to own a sfh in a place like San Jose but not San Francisco, but they're wrong. San Jose is actually bigger than SF now. For hundreds of years, SF was the largest city in a 300 mile radius, but not anymore. So in both places, you should expect to either rent or maybe buy a condo.
Until you can't afford rent anymore and get forced out.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Until you can't afford rent anymore and get forced out.
What are you talking about, man? Do you make thr median salary, 100k? If so how are you priced out? If I can live here at 11.25/hr you can live here too.

For me, having a sfh on the middle of nowhere would be far lower quality of life than renting space in Silicon Valley. I want to be able to do stuff that isn't in my house without having to travel for a long time. I want to be in a place that I enjoy,where I have emotional connections. That's here, not Texas or Arizona.

Anyway, you never get priced out of rent; you move into a smaller space, get a higher paying job or get more roommates. That's city life.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about, man? Do you make thr median salary, 100k? If so how are you priced out? If I can live here at 11.25/hr you can live here too.

For me, having a sfh on the middle of nowhere would be far lower quality of life than renting space in Silicon Valley. I want to be able to do stuff that isn't in my house without having to travel for a long time. I want to be in a place that I enjoy,where I have emotional connections. That's here, not Texas or Arizona.

Anyway, you never get priced out of rent; you move into a smaller space, get a higher paying job or get more roommates. That's city life.
There are things to do in places other than SF you know.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:24 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
There are things to do in places other than SF you know.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about SJ.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:24 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,577 times
Quote:
Ask somebody who grew up in London if he would rather have a three bedroom condo in London or a large single family home in Leeds. He'll definitely say he would prefer London. I can see wanting to move away if you are from a small town in the middle of nowhere, but I'm from Silicon Valley.
Look, I'll try this again.

I am not challenging the content of your argument (that you want to live where you live rather than in Texas or some other state).

I am challenging your demeaning of other places. That does not have to be part of your desire to live in the SJ 'burbs.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm pretty sure he's talking about SJ.
You're right. Except for the SF/SJ/Oak metropolitan area the entire planet is flat desert filled with roving bands of marauders like Mad Max. (According to Neutrino).

Old 03-24-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
I am challenging your demeaning of other places. That does not have to be part of your desire to live in the SJ 'burbs.
lol that's like saying because I was in the Navy I shouldn't call the USCG "Puddle Pirates" or call the USAF "the Chair Force", or call the Marines "Jarheads". They call us "squids", and since I was in the Silent Service I'm called a "bubblehead". We call that service rivalry. It's what happens when you support your team. Patriots support their country or their region.

You know why the puddle pirates don't have lifeboats on their "clippers"? Because in the event of an emergency, all they have to do is wade back ashore! lmao!

It's always fun to talk to an enlisted person in Her Majesty's Royal Navy... "hey, how do you Brits like being the world's SECOND largest Navy?". "hmm, well, how do you Yanks like being in the world's second best Navy?". "We Yanks wouldn't know what that is like, since we are in the best Navy! Hooyah!"

lmao...if you transplants want to go move out in the middle of nowhere so you can afford a SFH, please do. I guess you guys are drifters and don't understand having an emotional connection to a certain place. Those of us who grew up here are staying.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
lol that's like saying because I was in the Navy I shouldn't call the USCG "Puddle Pirates" or call the USAF "the Chair Force", or call the Marines "Jarheads". They call us "squids", and since I was in the Silent Service I'm called a "bubblehead". We call that service rivalry. It's what happens when you support your team. Patriots support their country or their region.

You know why the puddle pirates don't have lifeboats on their "clippers"? Because in the event of an emergency, all they have to do is wade back ashore! lmao!

It's always fun to talk to an enlisted person in Her Majesty's Royal Navy... "hey, how do you Brits like being the world's SECOND largest Navy?". "hmm, well, how do you Yanks like being in the world's second best Navy?". "We Yanks wouldn't know what that is like, since we are in the best Navy! Hooyah!"

lmao...if you transplants want to go move out in the middle of nowhere so you can afford a SFH, please do. I guess you guys are drifters and don't understand having an emotional connection to a certain place. Those of us who grew up here are staying.
Good luck paying rent when it continues to compound and your 11.75 an hour doesn't compound at the same rate.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:41 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,093 times
Quote:

My opinion
you have multiple delusions that you use to convince yourself you don't have a craptastc lifestyle. $11.75 is extremely low/very low wages in Santa Clara county. Living 3 adults in a 1 bedroom in your mid 30s not good. Living with your parent in your late 30s. Not good.
If you have to delude yourself that San Jose is in the same league as Paris ,New York ,SF or London more power to you.
Keep in mind some of the transplants here in highly compensated fields are buying single family homes and living well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland