Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2016, 02:08 PM

892 posts, read 859,928 times

Advertisements

I would say a 400k year salary is enough for a family of 4 to buy a 1-2 million dollar home, still save for retirement and send their 2 children to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 08:39 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
I would say a 400k year salary is enough for a family of 4 to buy a 1-2 million dollar home, still save for retirement and send their 2 children to college.
Far smarter and more realistic.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Yeah, well, I'm from the Bay Area. What can I say. Your statement is like calling a Parisian or a Londoner a snob. lol.

That's all I claim.

I am from the Bay Area. Silicon Valley. I GREW UP HERE.

So WHY would I want to move to TEXAS??

Just like saying that someone who grew up in Austin would somehow want to move here. WHY?

It is. See the calculators from CNN, Zillow etc. It does depend on the down payment and it assumes you have low debt. I'll grant you that. I misspoke in that I meant to say "3x-5x", 3x being the more conservative figure.
It's FINE that you want to live there. It's just that your dismissing Texas in the way that you have (WE call it "flyover country") causes you to sound like a supercilious overweening douche bag.

And, of course, you know how much people like those.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:54 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
All you need is 2 C suite parents and teenagers who work as cops and go to the school at the same time. Even Howard Hughes would be shocked by the price of housing here.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:24 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
. Even Howard Hughes would be shocked by the price of housing here.
Just the SFHs. Condos are quite affordable. Dense housing is better for the enviornment, better for the economy, better for city services, and easier to afford as a buyer.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
It's FINE that you want to live there. It's just that your dismissing Texas in the way that you have (WE call it "flyover country") causes you to sound like a supercilious overweening douche bag.
Well, I live in one of the world's great centers of innovation. Texas is just a big desert. Lol.

Really, it makes no sense for those of us who grew up here to suddenly want to live somewhere else. I mean, if the only factor in desirability for a given location is the price of a SFH, why not move to Somalia? Land is extremely cheap there because it is undesirable. Of course you'll have to be heavily armed since there is no government outside of mogadishu. Lol.

Move to texas....lmao...yeah, no. I'll take a condo in the Bay Area over a SFH in the middle of nowhere ALL DAY! FTW! QED!

Old 03-20-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Well, there are plenty of couples and singles in Silicon Valley and the Bay Area who earn that salary. Senior managers at tech companies, heart surgeons, two senior programmers at Google buying together, etc.

The prices are what they are because people are willing and able to pay those prices.

The complainers are trying to live beyond their means.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What's different about let's say Miami vs the Bay Area. In Miami someone making let's say 20-25% over median wages can own in a fairly nice place with a decent commute, in a family sized home, with a pretty good school district. In the Bay Area that is impossible. You need double the median to think about it.
Only if you specifically want a single family home. Middle class here is a condo not a sfh.

And like I said, that's true of all large, desirable cities all around the world. You can't afford a monilithic sfh on the median salary in London or Paris either. A condo, yes. A Single Family Home, no. So it just means that SF and SJ are world class cities.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:48 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Only if you specifically want a single family home. Middle class here is a condo not a sfh.

And like I said, that's true of all large, desirable cities all around the world. You can't afford a monilithic sfh on the median salary in London or Paris either. A condo, yes. A Single Family Home, no. So it just means that SF and SJ are world class cities.
Hard to have a family in a 1 bedroom condo.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Well, I live in one of the world's great centers of innovation. Texas is just a big desert. Lol.

Really, it makes no sense for those of us who grew up here to suddenly want to live somewhere else. I mean, if the only factor in desirability for a given location is the price of a SFH, why not move to Somalia? Land is extremely cheap there because it is undesirable. Of course you'll have to be heavily armed since there is no government outside of mogadishu. Lol.

Move to texas....lmao...yeah, no. I'll take a condo in the Bay Area over a SFH in the middle of nowhere ALL DAY! FTW! QED!
Wow. Just, wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland