Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 04:12 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times

Advertisements

Some examples of famous sjsu students:

Stevie Nicks
Gordon Moore
Carl Guardino
Brian Krzanich
Ed Oates
Doug Clifford
Patrick Simmons
Finis Connor
Omid Kordestani (former vp of Google, now at Twitter)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 04:30 PM

901 posts, read 1,168,376 times
Stevie Nicks? Patrick Simmons? [[.....deep hit......]] Yeah, man. Dude, like, I wonder what the famous name list would look like for other top-tier schools? Maybe it would be longer, man. Just a bit. Heh heh. Heh. Heh. Heh.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:02 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
On my list of great schools I listed eth Zurich. This that schools list of NOBEL PRIZE WINNERS
This is what an alumni list of a great school looks like.
My favorites Warner,Einstein ,Pauli, rontgen

Nobel Prize in Physics
1901 Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen (graduate)
1920 Charles-Edouard Guillaume (graduate)
1921 Albert Einstein (student and professor)
1943 Otto Stern (lecturer)
1945 Wolfgang Pauli (professor)
1952 Felix Bloch (graduate)
1986 Heinrich Rohrer (graduate)
1987 Georg Bednorz (graduate)
1987 Karl Alexander Müller (graduate)

Nobel Prize in Chemistry
1913 Alfred Werner (graduate)
1915 Richard Martin Willstätter (professor)
1918 Fritz Haber (attended for one semester)
1936 Peter Debye (professor)
1938 Richard Kuhn (professor)
1939 Leopold Ružička (professor)
1953 Hermann Staudinger (lecturer)
1975 Vladimir Prelog (professor)
1991 Richard Ernst (graduate and professor)
2002 Kurt Wüthrich (professor

Nobel Prize in Medicine
1950 Tadeus Reichstein (graduate)
1978 Werner Arber (graduate)
Other Nobel Laureates directly affiliated with the ETH Edit
1912 Nils Gustaf Dalén (in collaboration with Aurel Stodola)
1943 George de Hevesy
1945 Artturi Ilmari Virtanen (in collaboration with Georg Wiegner)
1954 Max Born (in collaboration with Adolf Hurwitz)
1964 Konrad E. Bloch (in collaboration with Leopold Ružička and Vladimir Prelog)
1968 Lars Onsager (in collaboration with Peter Debye and Erich Hückel)
1968 Har Gobind Khorana (in collaboration with Vladimir Prelog)
1969 Max Delbrück (in collaboration with Wolfgang Pauli)
1987 Jean-Marie Lehn

Old 03-28-2016, 10:44 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Eh, well, the mission of SJSU is more about preparing people for a job, as opposed to places like Stanford. Stanford not only offers bachelor degrees that are useful in industry, but is also a scientific research facility and a medical center.

Of course it is correct that Stanford -- which is definitely an example of a world renowned institution here in Silicon Valley -- is on a higher stratum than SJSU. But SJSU has a different mission, and it performs that mission very well.
Way to dance.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Stevie Nicks? Patrick Simmons? [[.....deep hit......]] Yeah, man. Dude, like, I wonder what the famous name list would look like for other top-tier schools? Maybe it would be longer, man. Just a bit. Heh heh. Heh. Heh. Heh.
You don't like them? Fleetwood Mac is an awesome band, I have five albums from them.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
On my list of great schools I listed eth Zurich. This that schools list of NOBEL PRIZE WINNERS
This is what an alumni list of a great school looks like.
My favorites Warner,Einstein ,Pauli, rontgen
Again...Zurich is in a different category. SJSU is a place to get job training. Places like Stanford and Zurich also offer the job training degree, but their main mission is the scientific research.

What SJSU does, it does very well. It doesn't have a particle accelerator or a radio telescope. But it does have an excellent engineering school.

And, Stanford is a feature of Silicon Valley.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:35 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Again...Zurich is in a different category. SJSU is a place to get job training. Places like Stanford and Zurich also offer the job training degree, but their main mission is the scientific research.

What SJSU does, it does very well. It doesn't have a particle accelerator or a radio telescope. But it does have an excellent engineering school.

And, Stanford is a feature of Silicon Valley.
SJSU does not do that well compared to the Big 2 schools of the Bay Area.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:19 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times
I ended up taking the job and have been here for four months. Ended up renting a room for 1K/month. No real expenses besides that. I don't know how people can't survive here on even 50K or 60K, much less 90K. I've save a ton of money over the past four months. I sense that a lot of the people complaining about their 200K household incomes are living way outside of their means.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:21 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times
Also, bear in mind that my salary is lower as I only have four years of work experience.
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/s...59_KO14,26.htm

Old 08-14-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I ended up taking the job and have been here for four months. Ended up renting a room for 1K/month. No real expenses besides that. I don't know how people can't survive here on even 50K or 60K, much less 90K. I've save a ton of money over the past four months. I sense that a lot of the people complaining about their 200K household incomes are living way outside of their means.
I agree. I just got a new assignment with my temp agency where I will make $14/hr, which is higher than my last assignment of $12/hr. It's a struggle, but I can live here and comfortably pay rent. I live within my means as a fiscal conservative. So it is frustrating to hear all these complaints from people who make five or ten times what I make.

Although the bigger factor in their complaint is simply that they can't afford specifically a "Single Family Home in an Excellent School District". According to them, if you can't afford to do that in a given area, that means that if you live there, you're living in poverty. They say it has to be "family size" or it doesn't count as living here. Apparently, most people who live in London and Paris are living in poverty, according to the naysayers, as most can't afford a SFH there, either. Most live in a "flat", the European term for "apartment" or "condo".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland