Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:12 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah I agree when someone says "everyone is like this or that" and speaks in absolutes then it's ridiculous but I didn't get that from the OP. The OP didn't say "all", but just said "people". If the OP had said "some of the people" then that kind of changes the tone of the post but the message is still the same either way. It's generalizing and ste
reotyping but we all do it to an extent and there is truth to them or they wouldn't exist.

Well I remember that next time so I don't accidentally turn into a racist. No offense but it's just kind of ironic you threw this pointless statement in here b/c it just lives up to the bleeding heart ultra-pc Bay Area stereotype.
Yeah except it's funny how I only moved here about half a year ago for work and a relationship and have spent the vast majority of my life in Indiana, Ohio, and Kansas where I still held these exact same views. Go figure that into your stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yeah except it's funny how I only moved here about half a year ago for work and a relationship and have spent the vast majority of my life in Indiana, Ohio, and Kansas where I still held these exact same views. Go figure that into your stereotype.
I figured that already and it's usually the SF transplants that live up to the stereotypes more so than the natives imo.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:17 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald342 View Post
I originally moved to SF from New York city for a job (they paid for the relocation and such) a couple months ago. And man, its been a major culture shift which is ok I suppose. But also very irritating in a number of ways to a life long east coaster like myself. Almost to the point of making normal social interaction difficult because of over-PC ness.

"Sarcasm" seems to be lost on most people here. They all look at me with blank stares when I make a sarcastic joke or comment.

Say "thats gay" your called out as a homophobe.

People give you stares of disaproval if your the type of person that looks like to have somewhere to go, commitments to make, likes to dress up for business etc. Just no sense of working to "get ahead". What gives? Do people here just prefer others to be as miserable, non-goal oriented, aim-less and broke as they are?

Overall the people in this area seem to lack alot of aspects of character and tend to be very introverted and quiet. I also see theres less of an energy here. Everything from major stores to mom and pop shops to restaurants closes early and people don't seem to care. Even nightclubs close early (WTF?).

Anyways I was just venting. Personally I think the weather is great here, but I like the east coast better in terms of the relationships, people and the overall attitude of most people. I just gel well with folks who are more honest about themselves and know how to stick up for themselves without complaining or crying. Those types are usually laughed out of New York City. Its very soft.

How can people live like this day and day out and not go crazy?

/rant
I know where you are coming from. When i moved there from Philly I was coming from a place where finger gestures and cursing at the car in front of you were on the drivers test. In California they will sit behind the moron who is eating lunch at the stop sign and not say a thing. All I can say is that it is worse in LA

Old 01-14-2010, 10:29 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
I've heard this several times from certain East Coasters, but I find it very odd. Sarcasm is like a second language to me, and I don't often have issues with people here grasping it. I have had people from other regions of CA and other states (including states in the NE and especially in VA) not catch my sarcasm and take me too literally at times, so I wonder if it might just be different types of sarcasm?
I definitely know that feeling. Most people I'm around now either can't stand my sarcasm or don't get it at all. When I was in the Bay Area for just 6 days not long ago, I could talk to strangers and be myself and they actually got it and returned it. It was refreshing to say the least. I always thought a lot of east coast people fit in the Bay Area better but perhaps that's little more than an impression I had.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
That is reassuring to hear. I am about to move up the Bay Area and I hope I am moving towards an area in which I would fit in much better.
Depends on where you go. You're moving from SD I take it?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Soft? Be careful....

The Bay Area is home to more Ranked Professional Mixed Martial Arts Fighters than NYC (all of these guys train and live here in Bay Area).

Jake Shields (22-4-1 - Jake Shields MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com)

Josh “The Punk” Thomson (16-2 - Josh "The Punk" Thomson MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com):

Gilbert “El Nino” Melendez (15-2 - Gilbert "El Nino" Melendez MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com):

Jon Fitch (18-3 - Jon Fitch MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com)

Cain Velasquez (6-0 - Cain Velasquez MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com)

Cung Le (6-1 - Cung Le MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com):

“The Legend” Frank Shamrock (23-10-2 - Frank Shamrock MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com):

Josh “Kos” Koscheck (12-4 - Josh "Kos" Koscheck MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com)

Mike “Quick” Swick (13-3 - Mike "Quick" Swick MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com):

Richard “Cleat” Crunkilton (16-2 - Rich "Cleat" Crunkilton MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography, and More - Sherdog.com)

Old 01-14-2010, 10:52 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
^haha nice

or what about Andre Ward? Born in SF, lives in Oakland, and he was the 2004 Olympics gold medal boxing champion. He was undefeated as an amateur fighter (90 wins), he won the US under 19 championship in 2002, and won the US National Championship in 2001 and 2003. He is now a pro boxer and is still undefeated, with a record of 21 wins(13 by KO), and zero losses. Yeah, he's just another one of us Bay Area softies. I met him at the 2006 SF Golden gloves in fact (Golden Gloves you say? Wow, must be another convention of soft SF residents!), he's a cool dude.

And what about Bruce Lee? born and raised in SF too. My friend's father actually trained at the same dojo as him in the 80's...small world huh? Clint Eastwood was also born in SF

Old 01-14-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
^haha nice

or what about Andre Ward? Born in SF, lives in Oakland, and he was the 2004 Olympics gold medal boxing champion. He was undefeated as an amateur fighter (90 wins), he won the US under 19 championship in 2002, and won the US National Championship in 2001 and 2003. He is now a pro boxer and is still undefeated, with a record of 21 wins(13 by KO), and zero losses. Yeah, he's just another one of us Bay Area softies. I met him at the 2006 SF Golden gloves in fact (Golden Gloves you say? Wow, must be another convention of soft SF residents!), he's a cool dude.

And what about Bruce Lee? born and raised in SF too. My friend's father actually trained at the same dojo as him in the 80's...small world huh? Clint Eastwood was also born in SF
I agree, nice last couple of posts. People in the Bay Area aren't soft, they're just less obnoxious than most other people else where. Get into someones face and they'll show you softness LOL

Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,991,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Depends on where you go. You're moving from SD I take it?
Yup, finally gonna be getting outta San Diego and moving to SF city.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,031 times
Barry Manilow was born in Brooklyn, NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland