Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 11:28 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If the government wants to implement a dollar coin, they're going to have to pull the dollar bill out of circulation. Time and time again the American public has shown that when given the choice between a dollar bill and a dollar coin, they will choose the bill every time.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread topic: the metric system.
The dollar coin would be better if it were larger than a quarter. We need to eradicate pennies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
The dollar coin would be better if it were larger than a quarter. We need to eradicate pennies.
Actually its good enough because it's a different colour. I cannot eradicate the penny because I want to get the Americans for Common Cents on our side.

Why are we measuring with the King's foot instead of the more democratic meter? I thought we overthrew the king 230 years ago. The foot belongs in the Middle Ages along with absolute monarchy. A new millennium requires for SI metric.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:11 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Actually its good enough because it's a different colour. I cannot eradicate the penny because I want to get the Americans for Common Cents on our side.

Why are we measuring with the King's foot instead of the more democratic meter? I thought we overthrew the king 230 years ago. The foot belongs in the Middle Ages along with absolute monarchy. A new millennium requires for SI metric.
  • I'm all for metric. It makes sense.
  • I'm ambivalent about Celcius vs. Fahrenheit. I like more precision with Fahrenheit. In every day life, it really doesn't matter either way.
  • Europe should use 120V rather than 240v. It's much safer.
  • The UK and H.K. should steer on the left side. I read a study that it just makes more sense because of how your peripheral vision works.
  • Italy and some other countries should standardize the number of digits on telephone numbers. I never knew if the number was complete, because it could be anything between 6 and 8 digits.
  • The Euro was invented trying to make it on par with US currency at a 1:1 ratio. (I kind of like the mystery of currency conversion. We oughta due something about our currency for the visually impaired like most countries do.
  • I love to investigate the mystery of the where the toilet flusher will be located in foregin bathrooms.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:31 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Most all large manufacturing uses either English or Metric. I used to work for the largest cable manufacturer in the US. We built telephone cable, computer cable, molded plugs, wireing harness, etc. We took orders in Metric or English. Have for years.

When somebody says, "I hate metric and refuse to use it." Just tell them, Well, give me all your money because you refuse to count it.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Most all large manufacturing uses either English or Metric. . .
Well, what are their other options?

Old 09-17-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter. Several dollar coins have had substantially different from the quarter both visually and tactilely. But as long as both a bill and a coin are in circulation, people will use the bill and shun the coin.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:02 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,717 times
well we are slowly but surely. when you buy soda, it's sold in liters now. no more quarts of anything. i'm taking a chemistry class now and i'm learning all about conversions to metric system. fyi: medical field still uses metric exclusively. good thing i guess. we need uniformity before patients get the wrong dose of medication!

Old 09-17-2007, 09:28 PM

Soda has been sold in 2-liter bottles for, what, 25 or 30 years now? Of course, it's still sold in 12-oz cans, 8-oz cans, 16-oz bottles, 20-oz bottles, sometimes 24-oz bottles...

Old 09-17-2007, 11:44 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,424 times
I remember back in the late 70's there was a "scare' that we were converting to the metric system so we were scrambling in elementary school to learn this foreign & unwelcome new system for when the metric bomb hit us. We're still waiting...

Old 09-18-2007, 10:57 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
  • I'm ambivalent about Celcius vs. Fahrenheit. I like more precision with Fahrenheit. In every day life, it really doesn't matter either way.
I don't feel a difference between 70 °F and 71 °F. In fact both of those temperatures would be 21 °C. But I can feel the difference between 20 °C and 21 °C.

Celsius doubles in cooking because the boiling point is 100 °C and the freezing point is 0 °C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology