Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Everyone that laughed must have been a transplant, including the postal worker.
Obvious troll being obvious.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,700 times
Growing up in Seattle in the 50s and 60s knowing your neighbors and having block parties, etc was the norm.

I blame the lack of the same today on the transient nature of the population, transplants from all over, technology and the fact that everybody seems to be too busy for anything like that today.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,191 times
I know or have met almost all of my neighbors in Sammamish and I live on a street with over 30 houses. We have neighborhood parties in the summer and the kids are outside playing together. Neighbors help neighbors out with dogs, mail, garbage cans, etc. Andecdotal but that's my experience.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
I know or have met almost all of my neighbors in Sammamish and I live on a street with over 30 houses. We have neighborhood parties in the summer and the kids are outside playing together. Neighbors help neighbors out with dogs, mail, garbage cans, etc. Andecdotal but that's my experience.
It all starts and ends with you. It's easy to blame others as so many here do. But that's a cop out. Obviously you have social skills.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
It all starts and ends with you. It's easy to blame others as so many here do. But that's a cop out. Obviously you have social skills.
What about all the people that didn't have "problems" like this in other metro areas prior to living in SEA? I doubt it's their social skills. There seem to be many. I had a friend, both he and his wife had MBAs, were white, Protestant and presentable, and relocated to the SEA area from Florida, where they had many friends. They had a "different" experience in Puget Sound. They had an opportunity to move to Colorado and jumped on it. They said "Whew, it's great to be out of Western Washington." They've been there for close to 10 years.

My parents noticed it too, upon relocation, but since they were retiring, were less feisty, and buying their "last" home, they just kind of nodded and swept it under the rug.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
Quote:
I have NEVER experienced anti-California sentiment ANYWHERE except the Pacific Northwest.
*Every western state sans CA.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,191 times
I actually had a harder time making friends in Denver and Dallas than here but I attribute it more to my stage of life at the time. Young, professional and working my backside off. Not a lot of time to make friends. Once I had children it was ridiculously easy for me to make friends. That and I try to smile and politely greet everyone I meet...even those who are glaring at me. I often wonder once the kids are gone if it will go back to being harder to meet people. But I'm guessing my cute dog will still bridge that gap. Dogs have street cred in the PNW.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
*Every western state sans CA.
Maybe that's why I had a great experience in metro Atlanta. They didn't see many of us, and focused on people from NJ/NY. Even then, since the house prices didn't jump in that area with the influx of people, the Northeasterners were not treated as badly as Californians are in the PNW and some other Western states.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 PM

615 posts, read 1,522,759 times
Quote:
Maybe that's why I had a great experience in metro Atlanta. They didn't see many of us, and focused on people from NJ/NY. Even then, since the house prices didn't jump in that area with the influx of people, the Northeasterners were not treated as badly as Californians are in the PNW and some other Western states.
Honestly, who would want to live in California? EXTREME leftist views, extreme taxes, high unemployment, unbearable cost of living, and a state that's in overwhelming debt.

No thanks.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,662,795 times
I will say this again, most Seattle natives are friendly and polite. However, the decline of this is not entirely due to newcomers, it is partly due to passive-aggressive natives. NW natives are not perfect, and their shortcomings can come out. Once we get beyond blaming outsiders for ruining the NW, we should look inward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area