Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Negatives to West Seattle -- as with the rest of Seattle, we have a lot of car thefts and some house break-ins.
Which is why I moved to North Beach. Now I've probably cursed myself by saying that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:16 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
OK, west seattle gal, you know what you've done, right? Now I MUST MOVE THERE! :-)

How long does it take your husband to get to Redmond? That's my husband's big concern. He's also slightly concerned that he won't eat as well as in the Northeast, so it's good that you threw the vegan thing in there. Are there lots of veg-friendly eateries?
There are plenty of veg-friendly options at almost every restaurant. Not sure if there are any veg restaurants specifically in West Seattle, but probably a couple. And options galore throughout the Seattle area.

So yes, angelenogirl, you must move there. If I could, I'd live in West Seattle around Alki most likely, but near the Junction or North Admiral would be great. I lived in the North Delridge area for a year and even there was wonderful. No water views, but up in the hills you have a great territorial view. I commuted to SoDo daily and it was a breeze almost any time of day that I went. And like someone else said, you do get a bit of criminal activity wandering up from South Delridge, White Center, South Seattle, Burien, etc, but it's mostly alright.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:21 AM

297 posts, read 1,034,819 times
West Seattle is awesome Angelenogirl! I would love to live there. The Junction, Admiral District, and Alki are all great parts of the city.

My old boss lived up on the hill with a great view of Downtown Seattle. She said strangers would knock on her door and beg her to sell the house to them!

If you are financially able to make it happen I would buy a home there and never look back!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
Alki beach always seemed like a nice area to quietly observe the Sound though. Also thank you WestSeattleGal im happy to know getting into downtown isn't difficult via bike!
One of my co-workers is in the Admiral District and rides his bike to work every day, beyond downtown to the waterfront near Alaskan and Clay. Since he got a back fender he rides rain or shine. The water taxi
is available but would require a mile walk on each end so he prefers biking. They have done a good job keeping a fenced bike path through the tunnel construction area.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
I lived in WS for a short time, then moved to Burien where I spent twenty five years. Going to WS for me was a weekly event, it was a short drive, 15 min and there I was in this cool little town within a big city. The fact of WS being tucked away from the freeway complexes that are soooo necessary to the sub-urban dream is a big no no in most people's minds, I'd still like to live there if it wasn't so expensive. I'm now in Vancouver but miss the good vibe of Seattle from time to time.

America is a spread out nightmare of over the top consumerism architecture, strip malls, "town centers", whatever they call em they're still shopping havens and little else. The big chain restaurants, grocery stores, auto parts, and worse, are the mainstay of so much of our landscape, West Seattle trumps all that by a huge margin, they're doing something right, look at the housing prices.................

Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
West Seattle trumps all that by a huge margin, they're doing something right, look at the housing prices.................
Parts of WS are among the least expensive in the entire city.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:36 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Quote:
So how south is too far south? I've been all the way down to Arbor heights and things seem OK, but maybe the crime isn't in your face?
The notion that the south side of Seattle and the suburbs are some kind of crime-ridden hellhole is a myth that won't die. Fine with me, though, as it keeps property values affordable. Our house in Renton probably would have cost twice as much if it were 10 miles farther north.

Most crimes around here are property crimes like break-ins, not personal crimes like muggings. So I suppose that means the crime is indeed a little less "in your face."

Old 04-28-2013, 04:14 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
One of my good friends moved to WS from Ballard in 2000 and absolutely loves it. She has no desire to leave. She's been renting the entire time. She works in Burien, and her husband commutes to downtown Seattle. He goes on off-hours and it works well for him.

When I visited her recently, I could see the attraction. It's a little mini-city all its own, with most things you could need, but still easy access to the big city.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:23 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
The notion that the south side of Seattle and the suburbs are some kind of crime-ridden hellhole is a myth that won't die. Fine with me, though, as it keeps property values affordable. Our house in Renton probably would have cost twice as much if it were 10 miles farther north.

Most crimes around here are property crimes like break-ins, not personal crimes like muggings. So I suppose that means the crime is indeed a little less "in your face."
So are people just kinda snobby? I like the south side! We looked at some cute houses down that way today.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Quote:
So are people just kinda snobby? I like the south side! We looked at some cute houses down that way today.
I've been here for a couple of years now, and yes, I'd say there's a little bit of a snob factor. The south suburbs are more working-class and more affordable than a lot of other areas around here, but the way some people talk about this part of the area, you'd think it was some kind of a burned-out ghetto. Sure, there are some patchy areas, but then you have those in Seattle, too. As I've said on here many times, we live in a clean, quiet, multiracial neighborhood in the Renton area, and I've never once feared for my safety. We've even forgotten to lock our doors a couple of nights (not that I recommend that, but just making a point).

The south side is great! I love Seattle the most, but you definitely get more house for the money down this way. If I'd had my way, we would have settled on Vashon Island, but I'm not at all unhappy with where we settled down. West Seattle is definitely one of my favorite parts of Seattle proper. Quirky, hip, fun, and refreshingly un-corporate. It's sort of like Vashon, only easier to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area