Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:55 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times

Advertisements

I'd rather go hiking in the drizzly rain than go hiking in heavy smog and dust or in an area filled with dirt and sagebrush like you have in Southern California. The beach can only be enjoyable for so long, before the crowds get on my nerves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 12:16 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,070 times
Some people have seasonal affective disorder in reverse. I've read about it. They're depressed by sunlight, and gladdened by gray skies and night. I think I'm one of them.

I've lived in Southern California for over 26 years. I hate heat and sunshine. I find sunshine depressing. I rarely go out when it's sunny. I instead go out at night, which is why I love winter -- it gets dark early.

During the day I only move about via my air-conditioned car, from one underground garage to another.

One reason I'm thinking of moving to Seattle is because I'll be able to go outside more often. I love going out when it's cloudy and gray. I find it invigorating. (I'm originally from New York, which at least has gray winters.)

That said, there's not much smog in Los Angeles. It used to be much worse in the late 1980s. I remember driving downtown, early morning, and the sky would have a yellowish-pinkish hue from the smog. Almost like in BLADE RUNNER. No longer. L.A.'s sky is quite blue now.

And brown deserts are as nice as green forests. I'd consider moving to Santa Fe if it wasn't for the sun.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:28 AM

70 posts, read 124,069 times
If it wasn't for skiing, I'd think that I'd be pretty bored in the winter as well. I definitely feel the effects of seasonal effective disorder and basically have to make sure that I get outside for at least an hour each day in order to stay motivated. Long walks in the rain can actually be quite soothing.

I'm definitely going to be doing the snowbird thing after I get too old to ski though.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:45 AM

50 posts, read 105,298 times
Cinema cat are you a " vampire " lol

Old 01-04-2014, 12:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Some people have seasonal affective disorder in reverse. I've read about it. They're depressed by sunlight, and gladdened by gray skies and night. I think I'm one of them.

I've lived in Southern California for over 26 years. I hate heat and sunshine. I find sunshine depressing. I rarely go out when it's sunny. I instead go out at night, which is why I love winter -- it gets dark early.

During the day I only move about via my air-conditioned car, from one underground garage to another.

One reason I'm thinking of moving to Seattle is because I'll be able to go outside more often. I love going out when it's cloudy and gray. I find it invigorating. (I'm originally from New York, which at least has gray winters.)

That said, there's not much smog in Los Angeles. It used to be much worse in the late 1980s. I remember driving downtown, early morning, and the sky would have a yellowish-pinkish hue from the smog. Almost like in BLADE RUNNER. No longer. L.A.'s sky is quite blue now.

And brown deserts are as nice as green forests. I'd consider moving to Santa Fe if it wasn't for the sun.
Except for your last statement about the brown deserts, I agree with you! Sun and hot all other time is way over-rated and doesn't agree with me. Even in the Bay Area it was too hot and boringly sunny for me. I have seen some scenic and beautiful deserts in my travels, including Death Valley, but would never want to live in one. I will taqke a dense forest with moss hanging from the trees, ferns and nurse logs all around any day.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:52 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutmad View Post
We moved here from southern California a year and half ago. I'm bored out of my mind. I have a 3 year old and have joined a moms club, do lots of activities, but compared to socal where the weather is so nice and you can go outside and do just about anything at anytime, I'M SO BORED. There are just only so many farms and shopping malls that I care to go to.

When I moved here, I heard there are so many things to do, but I think I am finding out that this came from people that just haven't experienced amazing weather all year round and don't have the perspective of someone who lived in awesome weather all year round. Any one else feel the same way?
I actually here this a lot on here. Seattle can't be that boring, right

Old 01-04-2014, 02:54 PM

12,914 posts, read 18,756,320 times
What I have to say about this comes from memory of an NPR spot a couple of years back. A woman wrote a book about Seattle feeling like home after having worried for years that she had made a big mistake moving there from Los Angeles. As I recall it, she saw Seattle as a place mostly made up of residents who took for granted that everyone loved it there, including newcomers, but also as a place that was quite insular and parochial compared to Los Angeles or New York, where she had also lived. After years in Seattle, though, it grew on her and she evolved into a true Seattler or whatever who couldn't imagine not living there. She described how she felt every time she would fly into Seattle and look at its layout and topography from above, with a chill traveling down her spine as the plane came in for a landing or prepared to land. I don't remember the name of her book. What I've heard about the weather and climate in Seattle tells me that for me it would be the hardest change to get used to. But I don't think of Seattle as being a boring place. I've never been there, but I just can't see it. But then I've never lived in LA or New York.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:05 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
What I have to say about this comes from memory of an NPR spot a couple of years back. A woman wrote a book about Seattle feeling like home after having worried for years that she had made a big mistake moving there from Los Angeles. As I recall it, she saw Seattle as a place mostly made up of residents who took for granted that everyone loved it there, including newcomers, but also as a place that was quite insular and parochial compared to Los Angeles or New York, where she had also lived. After years in Seattle, though, it grew on her and she evolved into a true Seattler or whatever who couldn't imagine not living there. She described how she felt every time she would fly into Seattle and look at its layout and topography from above, with a chill traveling down her spine as the plane came in for a landing or prepared to land. I don't remember the name of her book. What I've heard about the weather and climate in Seattle tells me that for me it would be the hardest change to get used to. But I don't think of Seattle as being a boring place. I've never been there, but I just can't see it. But then I've never lived in LA or New York.
The book was " Where'd You Go, Bernadette?".
Terrific book, one of the funniest books I've read in years.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Landings and take-offs above Seattle are the best. The topography is amazing - seriously. With all the islands, peninsulas and water, it never gets old. Google it and see yourself.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:46 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutmad View Post
We moved here from southern California a year and half ago. I'm bored out of my mind. I have a 3 year old and have joined a moms club, do lots of activities, but compared to socal where the weather is so nice and you can go outside and do just about anything at anytime, I'M SO BORED. There are just only so many farms and shopping malls that I care to go to.

When I moved here, I heard there are so many things to do, but I think I am finding out that this came from people that just haven't experienced amazing weather all year round and don't have the perspective of someone who lived in awesome weather all year round. Any one else feel the same way?
I actually here this a lot on here. Seattle can't be that boring, right
Look at what the poster is saying. She claims that she's meeting people and doing "lots of activities". Pointedly, the "farms and malls" is weird, even for this area, and quite frankly would be boring in any city. The OP is saying in a roundabout way that she hasn't acclimated to the weather. "Seattle's so boring" isn't actually the problem, its Seattle not having SoCal weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area