Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 07:31 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,142,084 times

Advertisements

We moved in April and so far we have not had but a sprinkle or two. Is this due to the global warming or is it traditionally not to wet in the summer months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 07:36 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,364,398 times
I'm down the road a bit in Portland, but the weather is about the same. This is all very normal. Summers are generally lovely and dry. Come late September/October you'll start to see rain and that will continue off and on until next summer. Personally I love the rain and am really missing it right now. I just know that it will come back in the next few months.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,437,637 times
I would attribute it you having beginner's luck. I have been here 23 years, and most years there will be rain from late September through June, then none at all from July 5 until September. This spring was unusually dry, whether from global warming or some other reason I don't know. We did have record rain in late winter/early spring, so this dry weather can be appreciated without worry.

https://weather.com/news/news/seattl...ring-2016-2017

Old 08-24-2017, 07:44 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,747,876 times
It's going to start raining in October. In November it will hit it's stride with occasional winds. By December, the lawns are green, the skies are low, the days are short and the mist is constant. In January, the holidays are over so the rain is no long a mood enhancer. Newcomers are usually complaining while others don't even notice. Flights are filling up for Hawaii. By February, some are saying "Seattle isn't worth this!" Long time Seattle residents are sympathetic while secretly waving "Bye!". Springs are hit and miss and summers are gorgeous and even, periodically, too warm.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:50 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,920,398 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Exactly!

Kids and I are spending a "year abroad" in Seattle this year. I am so over the summer sunshine and heat and was complaining to the hubby day before yesterday. He reminded me how depressed I will be come spring, when I will be so over the winter/spring cold, dark rain...

Old 08-24-2017, 09:37 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,788,632 times
Quote:
It's going to start raining in October. In November it will hit it's stride with occasional winds. By December, the lawns are green, the skies are low, the days are short and the mist is constant. In January, the holidays are over so the rain is no long a mood enhancer. Newcomers are usually complaining while others don't even notice. Flights are filling up for Hawaii. By February, some are saying "Seattle isn't worth this!" Long time Seattle residents are sympathetic while secretly waving "Bye!". Springs are hit and miss and summers are gorgeous and even, periodically, too warm.
This sums it up pretty well. It took us ~15 years, but now we find we need a little sun break right around Christmas. That's when we go to CO, visit family, wave at the sun, and enjoy the gorgeous CO powder snow (which is unlike that compacted WA cement snowpack).

Right now though I'm eagerly looking at all my boots and sweaters and whispering "soon...." I'm anticipating cool, misty days, drizzle, restful low light, and the joy of puddles.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:42 AM

8,184 posts, read 8,332,427 times
AADAD, I moved here 28 years ago and over time I have definitely noticed a trend toward less rain, less snow and warmer temps. The rain will come though, don't worry .

Old 08-24-2017, 09:47 AM

6,898 posts, read 8,957,635 times
I thought research was done prior to relocation.
So-called rainy season generally from October to April.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:06 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,165,719 times
...And the weather sticky grows by eight replies. Correction, nine:

Seattle is one of the drier major US metros in July and August, historically. This has been a weird dry spell, my yard does not approve and everything is turning an unpleasant shade of green-brown. During the heat and smoke-out the other week, woke up one Saturday to temps creeping up on 80 by 9am and a haze and said: damn, I'm in West Hollywood! Had that slightly dirty air taste and Sunset Blvd. sheen to it in Kirkland. So, I pretended that California had come to me for that one day.

Rain will be back, radio said last winter was one of the wettest. Can't quote a source other than that. Sooner the better.

Due to climate change? Ask other threads, also with 5K replies, that rage on that subject's absolute *cause* more than anything else.

I flee here typically Dec-Feb for at least one, if not several, trips to the desert to recharge my Vitamin D and refresh attitude. Like, every year. Few if any exceptions. Three days of the Mojave, for example, really solves it w/hot days in January and just above freezing at night c. Feb 1. LA doesn't hurt, either: Four Seasons BH is a *great* winter camp spot.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:38 AM

235 posts, read 270,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I This spring was unusually dry, whether from global warming or some other reason I don't know.
?

April had much more rain than average. May was slightly more than average. June was right around average despite it not raining after June 17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area