Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:54 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I don’t know why so many people jump all over Wal-Mart for rules that most other employers enforce as they do. I read the Tucson headline saying that “Wal-Mart staff rules are called too strict.” I thought, what is Wal-Mart doing that is so different than any other employer? Then I read the article and found that employees coming to work ten minutes or more late for three times might be given a demerit. Too many demerits and you could be fired. I laughed because I spent 25 years in law enforcement and coming to work 10 minutes late just once was a major deal. If a person comes in late, without a valid reason, they should be given a warning. If the tardiness continues, they should be fired! I just don’t get it. Wal-Mart is doing so well that it becomes the business to pick on.

Some people have said that shopping at Wal-Mart is hurting the economy because all they sell is cheap China goods. Well, when I go into other stores I see the same merchandise that Wal-Mart is selling, only at much higher prices. How are those stores any different? I know several Super Wal-Mart employees and they all say that they are just glad that they have jobs there. Maybe someone can tell me why we should hate Wal-Mart?
Well, I'll tell you what, if I started showing up for work chronically late in my job. I'd sure get into trouble! There is always a possibility for anyone to hit an unexpected traffic issue due to a wreck, or car trouble. But NO reason for tardiness everyday.

Much of what they sell is also sold in other discount stores. And I doubt that those other stores pay much better, either.

I could name you a local "discount" chain that sold to Kroger several years ago, who slashed ALL their employees' hours to parttime in order to avoid providing benefits. They went on strike to fight it in vain. And some of those employees were/are there for a LONG time. I don't know how their hourly wages compare to Walmart but was told it isn't much.

People forget, though, that not ALL jobs are living wage jobs, and were never meant to be. Those who think we should pay a hamburger-flipper $15 to $20 an hour are NOT likely to pay the ensuing cost for that hamburger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Well, I'll tell you what, if I started showing up for work chronically late in my job. I'd sure get into trouble! There is always a possibility for anyone to hit an unexpected traffic issue due to a wreck, or car trouble. But NO reason for tardiness everyday.

Much of what they sell is also sold in other discount stores. And I doubt that those other stores pay much better, either.

I could name you a local "discount" chain that sold to Kroger several years ago, who slashed ALL their employees' hours to parttime in order to avoid providing benefits. They went on strike to fight it in vain. And some of those employees were/are there for a LONG time. I don't know how their hourly wages compare to Walmart but was told it isn't much.

People forget, though, that not ALL jobs are living wage jobs, and were never meant to be. Those who think we should pay a hamburger-flipper $15 to $20 an hour are NOT likely to pay the ensuing cost for that hamburger.

but the thing is, I was making less at Wal-Mart hourly after 2 years than what I started out making working at a small clothing store hourly in the mall, seriously the pay is low at Wal Mart, my best friend has been there almost 6 years and is just above $10.00 an hour.

and some employees are rude but they do take a lot from the customers, my friend works at the customer service desk, there are gangstas on welfare that go in and try to intimidate the workers so they will refund their stolen goods they bring in, and in some cases many people will get their kids an ID so their kids can make returns because mommy and daddy's ID are maxed out(only 3 returns per ID). The employees take alot of verbal abuse from their customers, also many times get people that talk down on them for working at Wal-Mart, but of course they arnt any better cause they are the cheap ones trying to save a few cents shopping at Wal-Mart.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:50 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
I worked 29 years in a good paying,excellent benefits, UNION job.

Tardiness was not tolerated.

Tardiness and absenteeism were the main reasons for employees getting fired.

The strict rules were in the employee handbook and the UNION agreed with them.

Why pick on Walmart over strict rules on tardiness ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products