Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 02:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Racist much?
I think it was just rhetoric and not racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 05:52 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
Maybe because white yuppy dolls NEED more clothes than the other dolls???

We are getting so freakin carried away with this racist thing in this country.....

They have an international aisle in the grocery store..BUT no White exclusive aisle.. Maybe I should holler about this.. Oh wait.. I am white so I have nothing to complain about...

My friend Jose got a set of tires in his neighborhood really cheap but I have to pay more.. Should I scream about this??? No because I am white....I have no problems...

Maybe you should find out which dolls sell more from this company... That would tell you maybe why not all come with bunches of clothes and accessories....

Old 12-27-2014, 10:01 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
At first, I didn't believe the hype. Then, I went to a Target store today to look at one when I was looking for something else. The reality seemed to confirm the video that I saw on YouTube. The white doll "ginger" was the same price as the Latina doll "Alejandra", yet came with a box full of accessories. By contrast, the Alejandra doll came with only her dress and a smile. WTH? In the YouTube video, the lady said the same thing. White dolls come with extras, but minority dolls only come with one outfit.

The OP would have a basis for his/her claim if the Alejandra doll was morbidly obese, wearing chanclas & a tank top that's 3 sizes too small, sporting a neck tattoo, & came with 5 kids.

But since she doesn't, claims of racism here are absurd.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:54 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Why is that horse-faced weirdo hanging out in the aisle that has toys for little girls?

And for that matter, where's Chris Hansen when you need him? That's the real story here.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:03 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
OP, I have noticed this as well. I wonder if the company is assuming that minorities won't spend the extra money to buy the deluxe versions (which would be racist IMHO), or if the company doesn't make the deluxe versions of the minority dolls because that population wasn't buying them/doesn't create a demand for them (which would be smart production/merchandising).

Our Generation is no different than American Girl. Their product line is very white-centric as well, and a LOT more expensive.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:31 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
And I'll be damned if there is one single Asian doll of any kind - deluxe, regular, or not. I guess I should climb up onto my soapbox and complain that there are Gingers and Alejandras and Latishas ... but I can't seem to find a Saanvi, Sakura, or Li Xiu Ying anywhere at all!
Well, yeah, actually, you should. Instead of mocking the OP for trying to start a discussion on race, just because you never complained about the lack of Asian dolls. You know what? It's messed up that there are no Asian dolls. Things will never change unless a group challenges the establishment. Challenges start with conversations like this one.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:46 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I'm going to ignore the other comments on the first page and look at the original post. It sounds a bit discriminatory. If I took a little AA girl there to look at dolls I'm sure she would notice the difference. Is this what she has to accept as normal in her world? It's sad if that's so.

On the other hand, having "All-Black" political organizations, clubs, television networks, magazines also tells a story. So how can we fix that? Can we ban "All-anything". Or exclusionary things?

I guess you could look at it like: at least they even have a doll of color.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:45 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Maybe the white dolls sell much better, so the manufacture can produce them at a much lower cost. If you don't understand business, it is pretty simple. The more you order from China, the cheaper it is. That being said, I suspect it all has to do with production costs/runs, so they add a few little things with the white dolls to keep the cost the same as a percentage. Of course people will claim "racism" any chance they get, but it is just cost of product.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:04 AM

677 posts, read 672,875 times
Maybe the company is doing the right thing and encouraging minority girls to act white American.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:07 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Maybe the white dolls sell much better, so the manufacture can produce them at a much lower cost. If you don't understand business, it is pretty simple. The more you order from China, the cheaper it is. That being said, I suspect it all has to do with production costs/runs, so they add a few little things with the white dolls to keep the cost the same as a percentage. Of course people will claim "racism" any chance they get, but it is just cost of product.
That makes sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products