Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 03:59 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Togos is pretty good , I don't think anyone else mentioned them...might just be more of a CA place though..
I know they usually have a special of the day type sandwich that is pretty reasonable.

Some of the sandwiches are more reasonable than others at subway though. But if you are looking at the higher priced subways I'd say you could probably find better ones at other places..at least in my city....once you get to the $8 range.

Some people do charge a crazy amount for sandwiches in L.A though..but the quality could be really high too. Organic ingredients ,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 04:26 PM

17,592 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Subway sucks.. That's all there is to it.. one of the big problems with them, my opinion of course.. is that they open stores on every corner..

I just noticed they opened another one here close to where I work.. On one stretch of road, within 3 miles, there's three stores. Just stick a gun in the mouth of your franchisees why don't you?

Quizno's.. I've done math on them.. lol.. they only require $5k to open a store.. That, I believe, is why you see them open and close in an area.. It's happened twice here.

Firehouse is good.. The meats seem to be a little sweet for my taste though.

Jimmy Johns.. I like. Yeah, guy who owns may be an idiot, but.. The food is what I care about. Probably my favorite right now of the sandwich places.

One that I haven't seen mentioned.. and certainly isn't large.. Blimpie's.. I've only eaten there a handful of times, but.. Pleased each time.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:34 PM

I thought this was interesting about Jimmy Johns
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_John's

"After Jimmy John Liautaud graduated second to last in his class at Elgin Academy (1982), his father gave him the choice to join the military or start a business.[4] Liautaud eventually chose to start a business and accepted his father's $25,000 loan to start a hot dog business, with the son owning 52% of the business, and his father owning 48%.[5] He soon realized that a hot dog business would cost more than he had, so he decided to open a sandwich shop.[6]"

Kind of amazing to go from that to a brand that opens 200 locations a year ..
In 30 years, the company has grown to more than 2,000 locations in 43 states.[1][2] Jimmy John's has opened approximately 200 locations per year over the past three years.

Subway actually started a similar way, with the founder getting a small loan from a family friend.

IN 1965 Fred Deluca borrowed $1,000 from a friend to open his first sandwich shop.
He actually opened the shop with the intention of raising money for medical school..which is why the holding company of Subway is called Doctor Associates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subway_(restaurant)

Old 06-18-2015, 04:43 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
"After Jimmy John Liautaud graduated second to last in his class at Elgin Academy (1982), his father gave him the choice to join the military or start a business.[4] Liautaud eventually chose to start a business and accepted his father's $25,000 loan to start a hot dog business, with the son owning 52% of the business, and his father owning 48%.[5] He soon realized that a hot dog business would cost more than he had, so he decided to open a sandwich shop.[6]"
Thats $61,000 in todays dollars. How could you not start a hot dog business for 61k?

Or does he mean one making raw hot dogs?

Old 06-18-2015, 04:53 PM

Yeah I'm not too sure. I suppose it depends what type of hot dog business. Actually I'd think hot dog would be easier than sandwiches in a way. Less variety of ingredients,etc? ...

I know a lot of people still spend a lot more than 61k to open small businesses like this though.

Even if it's a small place.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:17 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Subway apparently has inherent problems in it's corporate/franchise set-up. I think it was in Fast Food Nation that I was reading about it.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:52 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Regardless of the price, Jimmy John's is just better, and when they opened across the street from Subway, we tried them and switched. I always found Subway's TV ads annoying, too, and have never seen Jimmy John's advertise.
I can't agree!
When Jimmy-Johns opened a new place locally, we stopped in and got a couple of their sandwiches. Instead of asking what we wanted on them, they just threw them together, wrapped them up, and handed them to us.
They were dry and flavorless. We have not been back, and probably never will go back.
I don't know if JJ's TV commercials are national or local, but the ones we see on our local stations should win prizes for the stupidest ads on local TV! "Freakin' Fast delivery"? Yeah, right!
There is a little place called Ra-Ra's about a mile from our home that beats JJ's even on a bad day, and is even somewhat better than Subway.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:03 PM

424 posts, read 381,904 times
Why in the name of the holy sandwich did they get rid of the $5 footlong?????

Old 06-18-2015, 09:06 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityBassWorks View Post
Why in the name of the holy sandwich did they get rid of the $5 footlong?????
Agreed. Most of the people I know quit going to Subway after they did that. Very foolish, imo.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:11 PM

520 posts, read 532,433 times
You can't keep something at 5 bucks for eternity. Its called INFLATION. The purchasing power of that $5 reduces year after year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products