Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 05:13 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times

Advertisements

I just went back and scanned some of my old orders, looking for the "most unusual".

It's probably Wiggle Worm Earthworm Castings, back in 2012. I remember when the box arrived, I sat it under a bench in the entryway and it fascinated my cat for hours, he sat in front of the box with his ears erect like he was listening to a radio. Kind of creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 05:18 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Yes we use it and daughter uses it also. They had a special in October so we were able to get it for $67. Definitely worth it if you order a lot on line. Saves gas from shopping around.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:52 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
I love it and using it more and more.

Near 100% of this ears xmas shopping I did online.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I just went back and scanned some of my old orders, looking for the "most unusual".

It's probably Wiggle Worm Earthworm Castings, back in 2012. I remember when the box arrived, I sat it under a bench in the entryway and it fascinated my cat for hours, he sat in front of the box with his ears erect like he was listening to a radio. Kind of creepy.
Earthworm castings! For the garden, right. I agree this is unusual.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:21 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
i opted out- most stuff is $35 free delivery and I have Netflix could not work the move thing at all.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:36 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Have it, love it, and used it A LOT during the holidays. Loved ordering a Kindle Fire at 10 am on a Saturday, and having it delivered to my door at 7 pm the same day -- free! Have also used the videos. I recently bought a new phone (Galaxy S6), and it came with a year of Amazon Prime, so it just got added to my current account -- i have Amazon Prime through 2017, now. My son uses his account all the time for things like a special contact solution he uses, as well as other sundries. My best friend has dog food delivered -- no more lugging to and from the store! Good prices, delivered free -- what's not to like?

Old 12-31-2015, 07:20 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Like others, I purchased Prime when it was on sale. I'm starting to enjoy having a package suddenly appear on my front porch. I bought a few "dash buttons" just for kicks. If I find I am running out of toilet paper I can just press the tp dash button and a box of tp will magically appear on my porch. (I also purchased a coffee dash button. I think I have the essentials covered. ) I may start ordering a pantry box for my non-perishables.

Tonight I ordered a 32" monitor and it should arrive this Sunday at no additional cost. Nice.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:58 PM

49 posts, read 44,410 times
Never had any inclination to have Amazon Prime, even though I buy regularly there. I can always come up with a $35 minimum in order to get free shipping; in fact it's kind of a fun game, lol. Best I ever did was a recent order total of $35.01!

There's nothing that I'd buy on Amazon that I'd ever need next-day or even expedited shipping for, and I've been buying from them for almost 20 years --- way back when they were only selling books. We're in a suburb of a major city and so if we ever desperately need something IMMEDIATELY, odds are probably 95%+ that we could find it locally.

Also we have zero interest in the streaming services, and don't own or want an e-reader. So it'd be a waste of $100 to have Prime.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:01 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Having lived in the city for many years & then moving to a small town, I love having prime to order things that I can't find here.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:38 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
One of the things I love about Amazon Prime that hasn't been mentioned, is the ease of returning items, with free return shipping. You go into your account to your orders, fill out a form saying why you want to return it, and normally, you can just print out a free return shipping label for UPS, and you can even call UPS and have them just pick it up.

And sometimes, Amazon has refunded me and told me to go ahead and keep the item! This has happened to me several times. Once it was a case of salted Dave's sunflower seeds. They were saltier than I'd remembered and asked if I could return them. Amazon refunded all of my money and told me to go ahead and just keep them. I gave them away.

Another item was a rust converter liquid for treating my truck. I had purchased two bottles and only used one. I asked if I could return the unopened one, and Amazon refunded my money and told me to just keep it. Price was about $22, too. And I now have some for the next time I treat my truck for rust.

You just have to be sure it's an item fulfilled by Amazon, and preferably also sold by Amazon.

When I finally decided to pay for Amazon Prime, I looked at how much I was spending on Netflix and Amazon Prime was actually a little cheaper amortized over a year. So, I quit Netflix and went with Amazon Prime. Now I get streaming and free shipping is a bonus.

I also have several add-on subscriptions you can get if you have Amazon Prime. They just started offering a subscription to Showtime, and I never saw all of the seasons of Nurse Jackie or Ray Donovan. So, for an additional $9/month or so, I get Showtime and I'm watching all of the episodes from Season One on. I also pay extra for Unlimited Kindle. They also have a separate add-on for Starz now, too.

I always wished you could just subscribe to a channel like Starz or Showtime without having to pay full cable prices. Now you can with Amazon Prime. And there's no set-up fee, etc. And I can stop the subscription whenever I want. So, I'll watch all the Showtime shows I want to watch, stop the subscription, then start Starz and watch all of those. There are also a lot of HBO shows that are free with Amazon Prime, without an additional subscription.

My most recent purchases have been huge wall canvas art, paint brushes, black silicone sealant for my truck, Greenie pill pockets for my dog, stretch wrap for my dog's leg when I take her to run, Mod Podge for a craft project, a bread knife, drop-in toilet cleaners, clip-on sunglasses, a car harness for my dog, a couple books, new bras, Rain-X window treatment for my truck, paint rollers and tape and plastic trays, a Shark carpet sweeper, gel ink pens, dog food.

It's so nice to just be able to order one thing without having to buy $35 worth of stuff to get the free shipping like I used to.

There's no Costco locally for me, but I don't want to have to buy in bulk. I might pay a little more - or not - on Amazon than I could get something at Costco, but I don't have to buy a huge amount and figure out where to store everything.

I haven't tried the Pantry option. I have good local grocery options. But, I do like the dog food on Amazon better than I can find locally. I love their Taste of the Wild dog food and it's a great price and top quality. And I get a 15 pound bag - with free shipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products