Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 01:08 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times

Advertisements

I live in a house and they just throw packages on the porch, don't knock on the door or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 01:15 PM

612 posts, read 844,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
No data. Just the fact they don't seem to want to do it. And you can't deny it's a lot more effort. Compare:

a) driver pulls up to office at front of complex, carries 12 packages into office, gets back in truck and leaves. Total time under a minute.

b) driver drives all over sprawling complex and makes multiple stops at different buildings (after awhile he'll have learned bldg #1 is next to bldg #12 while bldg #2 is in the back), climbs six total flights of stairs, knocks on ten doors of which 2 answer and accept package, drives to front of office, and drops off remaining packages. Total time over 10 minutes.

Every. Day. With a supervisor breathing down his neck to get 600 deliveries done by 4pm. And the reality that the supervisor will be a lot happier if he gets his deliveries done on time taking shortcuts than if he gets them done an hour late doing it "by the book".
I get that, but that's the driver's job. The job which I'm paying them to do. We all have deadlines and workloads at our jobs we have to meet. All jobs have their importance, and I don't try to judge and seperate between the jobs (i.e. this job should take shortcuts but this one can't). Now, in saying that, I certainly wouldn't mind receiving my package later if this is an issue of for instance critical DME products that take priority, if possible

Im really not trying to make this a control issue, I just want to receive the service Im paying for. I dony choose UPS and choose to go through this, I order things and dont always have the option to go with Federal Express. I will just start asking the merchants to go with another carrier if possible, as I do want to avoid this issue if possible

Old 07-30-2018, 01:19 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
I have had a very expensive item left on the front porch without a knock (I was home at the time). The sender's name and address on the outside of the package would make it very clear the kind of thing (expensive) that was inside. If I had not been at home at the time, anyone could have walked up on the porch, read the address, picked up my package and walked off with a high confidence that they had just stolen an item of high value.

That was the very last time I specified UPS or FedEx delivery to my home address. I have everything delivered to my P.O. Box via US Mail. If it's too large to fit in the letter box, they leave a key to a locker. If it's too big to fit the locker, they leave a card in the letter box and I pick it up at the counter.

I am a big proponent of the PO Box.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:42 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
So if the supervisor told the driver to drive their truck off a cliff, they'd have to do it 'cause the supe told them to?

Ok, I think it's time for you to take your meds and go to sleep.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
As a former UPS package car driver, I can tell you how these things work. I don't know if you live in an area that is heavily built up with apartment buildings or if it's like a mixed-use area. I delivered in a mixed-use area. 60% private residential homes (houses) 35% commercial (strip malls businesses etc..) 5% apartment buildings. There was one cluster of six, seven-floor buildings that housed several hundred residents. Christmas time was brutal.

. Since it was a mixed-use route the commercial aspect of it was pretty heavy. Mist days it would take 3/4's of the 14-foot package car up. A 14 ft long package car is pretty big. It's the longest in fact. After that, it goes to a 24ft straight truck. So this route in particular worked likes this. Although it wasn't that big of a route, in fact, it was one of the smallest in the building it was heavy. The driver starts at 8:30. The route went out with 65- to 90 delivery stops. 100 delivery stops would be considered "blown out" on that route. It takes 20 to 30 minutes to get to the route. Start delivering next day airs that have to be delivered by 10:30. There were 3 retail clothing customers that I would knock out first. They were usually COD. A woman's dress shop, A children boutique 9:45-10am the latest. Once that was done I would start the commercial side of the route where it normally starts. Working my up If i could finish all of the commercial side by lunch which was 2 pm I was in good shape. Tio give you an idea how big the commercial area was it was about 2 square miles and about 200 stores. No strip malls.

Lunch was from 2-3. After that, I would hit my residential homes which were about 10-12 blocks. By 4:45 I would have to break off and start pickups. I had several 5pm closes. On a normal day, there were about 15 pickups including drop boxes. Once the pickups were done almost certainly I would have to finish my residential homes. Now it's getting on to 6:30- 7pm. That's when I would start the apartment buildings which usually had about 10 stops a day usually. I would wait until the evening because people were usually getting home from work at that time and that was the best chance of them getting their package. If they weren't home I would leave it with the Super if he was available and leave note on the main door. That is going above and beyond trying to get rid of the package. Everything with UPS is time. By the time what I just described was completed it was close to 7:30-8pm. UPS want's their drivers off the clock by 9pm. Which is usually the time I was punching out by the time I drove back, fueled the truck, parked unloaded, tagged my re-sends etc..

It didn't matter if we pushed those buildings onto another route because all the drivers had the same result. You can imagine if a driver has nothing but apartment buildings and does go door to door. They can't waste time knocking on neighbors doors looking for a signature. Complaining won't do you any good. If there is not a safe area to leave the package the driver can't and won't leave it. UPS will blacklist your residence stop sending your packages out and force you down to the barn to pick them up.

I hope this helped.
I know someone that worked for UPS in the same town, from late November 'til immediately after New Years, and they told me that they always tried to deliver to apartment doors if possible. And they had several different places they went as well, business, apartments, neighborhoods, etc.

And I never expect a driver to knock on a neighbors door. Just to make one quick knock, and then leave a quick note and take to leasing office. I do understand you guys have a tough job, but I'm also a paying customer that pays for a service that UPS promises on their website. I believe UPS should then change that policy if this is unable to be met. That would be fair for both parties

Thanks for the response

Old 07-30-2018, 03:32 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,136 times
Usually if you have a package to be delivered, they would leave a note in your mail box and you would have to go to the apt complex office to pick up your package.Sometimes I do get the UPS person at my door but most of the time, I get a note in my mailbox..It can suck when you live in an apartment complex...you don't get the same delivery outcome at times like you would if you lived in a house.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:14 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Well you're not getting it so deal with it. The only one that would have such "proof" is UPS and I bet they do indeed have the metrics but they aren't sharing their internal data with you. They are going to try to deliver the packages as efficiently as possible. It's not your place to enforce the driver's "job" duties but the driver's supervisors. You've contacted them now move on. Accept it or pick another carrier.
It amazes me that so many have become so enamored with horrible customer service they go so far as to defend it.

I know it's the new normal in this country, but why should one attack one who doesn't want to accept it?

Old 07-30-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Usually if you have a package to be delivered, they would leave a note in your mail box and you would have to go to the apt complex office to pick up your package.Sometimes I do get the UPS person at my door but most of the time, I get a note in my mailbox..It can suck when you live in an apartment complex...you don't get the same delivery outcome at times like you would if you lived in a house.
You're a medical coder? Great field, especially once you break into a hospital coding inpatient

Old 07-30-2018, 06:57 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Nobody owes you proof. You are making a mountain out of a molehill and I am sure this is not the only thing in life you have issues with. If you do not like the service that they are giving use FedEx.

This is really not your business, and I think these drivers do a lot of work. A lot you do not see and I personally would hate to do their job during the holidays.
Pardon? As an adult i'll politely dismiss your determination of what is or isn't my business. Let's be clear here. Our business paid for the shipping fees, this employee chose to get mouthy. That is my business to thwart further damages. And yes if a person is paid well they tend to do well.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:43 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
FedEx and UPS both just leave everything in the mail room. So does USPS, for that matter. If you're expecting a package, you go through the pile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products