Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:44 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,472 times

Advertisements

When my son was working on his undergraduate degree, the UPS driver routinely left his packages at other people's apartments.

The worst example of this was when he was waiting for a new computer to be delivered. The both of us sat right next to the front door the entire day - if one of us needed a break, the other was still there.

They never came. Refused to give us any details about where they had delivered it. Told us we weren't the customers so they wouldn't tell us where it was, just that it HAD been delivered and that my son had (allegedly) signed for it. Called him a thief.

I kept calling different numbers and reading them the riot act (the seller was closed for a holiday weeknd so no help there).

First someone admitted the name of the person who signed for it. Not my son, not me, not any of his roommates. Reiterated the idea that my son was trying to steal his own computer and had just given a false name.

After a lot of threatening and insistence, someone finally admitted it had been delivered to the wrong address AS WAS USUAL FOR THIS DRIVER. But since it was xmas holiday, most students (lots of students in this apartment complex) were gone for the holidays.

FINALLY forced them to go back and get it. We were lucky - the guy who signed for it didn't try to keep it.

I hate UPS. They once delivered a harp by dropping it in the middle of a field instead of taking it another 20 feet from where they dropped it and putting it on the porch. I didn't get home to find it for 4 days because I was out of town at the time. Thankfully nobody drove by and stole it. Yup. I HATE UPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 06:16 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Just get a PO Box. UPS and FedEx are worthless unless you are a business with a constantly staffed receiving dock.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:34 AM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Just get a PO Box. UPS and FedEx are worthless unless you are a business with a constantly staffed receiving dock.
I don't think the problem is the security or hours of the building management office but rather you might have that heavy load that UPS and FedEX Ground are better equipped than you are to move. Going to a PO Box rather than a local secure office or parcel locker just makes the last mile transport problem worse.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:04 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I don't think the problem is the security or hours of the building management office but rather you might have that heavy load that UPS and FedEX Ground are better equipped than you are to move. Going to a PO Box rather than a local secure office or parcel locker just makes the last mile transport problem worse.

Yeah, I fail to see how going to a PO Box a couple miles away is better than your own apartment leasing office.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:02 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
How it's better is that you can't depend on the UPS guy to leave your package at the apartment office versus just leaving it outside your front door. And some complexes don't have a clearly defined office. Some are four-plexes with no office at all, owners not even on premises.

Most things people buy and have shipped aren't so heavy they can't manage it in and out of the car.

Like I said, I had a package worth $4000 left on the porch with no knock or anything; the return address (business name) would make it instantly clear that it was probably a high value item; so anyone could just have walked off with it. Fortunately I was at home and I heard the truck pulling away.

I will not have UPS or Fedex deliver to my home again if I can possibly avoid it.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:15 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I understand if you are home during the day. But if you are out, wouldn't you rather it sit in the office attended rather than in front of your door in a hallway where anyone could grab it?

Do you get a text knowing it has been delivered so you know to got to the office? Or is the problem that the office is closed when you do get home so you can't pick it up from them? Maybe the people in the office are encouraging things be delivered to them? You may have to check out more of the details around this.
The UPS office here is in a *really* inconvenient place for everybody. If my package goes there it's often more than a week before I can pick it up, as I can't get there during business hours unless it's my Friday off- which only happens every other week. I'd MUCH rather they left it at my door.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:41 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,532,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have a LARGE red 'Country Mailbox" at my door...In yellow, UPS.
They still always leave my Amazon packages outside the gate to be stolen or get wet esp. in our monsoons every afternoon.

here
Mailboxes are only for use by USPS, no one else can put items in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
I actually would prefer if my packages were just left in front of my door- - this has happened before multiple times and has never been an issue. And it is just UPS, I can tell if it's Surepost. As I stated previously, the office has nothing to do with the driver not attempting to go to the unit numbers listed. The receptionist has said that she didnt even believe that no one wasnt home

I dont understand what my level of inconvenience has to do with the driver not doing their job? These packages arent being delivered for free, Im paying them to bring it to my front door, which UPS policy states as such. These packages arent being delivered to the address on the package, so it doesnt make a difference to me if they leave it at the office or UPS facility- - they're not following company protocol. When the leasing office has packages delivered to them, they're not putting MY address as the address on the package, and having them delivered to my address. So why should it be any different for me?

And Im sure this isnt a front office thing, because I never have this problem with Federal Express. They always bring packages directly to the apartment doors, and knock and leave it there. Never an issue. I would always use Federal Express if possible, but Im unable to choose the carrier the merchants go with
I had a terrible problem with Amazon's own delivery service, after numerous complaints, (and extend prime membership, credits) a supervisor at Amazon put there delivery service as the last on the list for my purchases. A hint, when calling Amazon, ask to speak to someone in USA, not a call center in the Philippines, also if you continue to have the problem ask to speak to a supervisor in the USA, not Costa Rica or wherever. This what worked for me.

Quote:
The UPS handbook states that unless packages require a signature, that they can leave packages with anyone at the residence/address on the package. People work different shifts and different households have different amount of people.

With that being said, do you have any proof that "most people are not" home during the day? Keeping in mind that other roomates can accept packages on their behalf?
It's at the driver's discretion whether they leave a package, if it's a high loss area, they won't leave them. Also, I believe if a package was reported as stolen from an address, they sometimes mark the address and will never leave packages.
Quote:
I've been very respectful when I've spoken to people on the phone about this. The first time I called in fact I told the supe that I didnt want to get the driver in trouble, but to please deliver to the front door.

I'm not sure what you mean though by "wasting their time..."?
I'll give you a hint, post something on UPS's facebook page. The company monitors social media, and you might get some results. My own problems have been with FedEx, Amazon's own delivery service, or the USPS. They can't find my address, I've had USPS workers put a "sorry we missed you" tag in my mailbox and not even ring the bell.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:49 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How it's better is that you can't depend on the UPS guy to leave your package at the apartment office versus just leaving it outside your front door. And some complexes don't have a clearly defined office. Some are four-plexes with no office at all, owners not even on premises.

Most things people buy and have shipped aren't so heavy they can't manage it in and out of the car.

Like I said, I had a package worth $4000 left on the porch with no knock or anything; the return address (business name) would make it instantly clear that it was probably a high value item; so anyone could just have walked off with it. Fortunately I was at home and I heard the truck pulling away.

I will not have UPS or Fedex deliver to my home again if I can possibly avoid it.

Ok, I was projecting my own situation a bit. Sure, there are cases and exceptions for everything. I don't have hard data but I'd bet a significant majority of apartment units are in large complexes and that it is rapidly increasing, as it seems many large complexes are being built while few 4-unit ones are. Economy of scale. But we shouldn't try to push one solution onto everyone.

For those with a secure leasing office, it seems to me that would be a lot more convenient than making a trip somewhere. I can walk to my leasing office and back in 5 minutes (or make a 1 minute stop as I'm driving in or out). No traffic. No expense.

And I assume you mean private PO Box as UPS won't deliver to USPS PO Box. Only USPS can legally deliver to a USPS box.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:10 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Used to have this problem in the past, no longer. I guess they realized they got tired of dealing with customers complaining to them directly.

It's not complicated. If a package is precious then require a signature (FedEx usually). If it is a regular eCommerce buy with low value then just leave it. If someone steals the package (rare because they have no clue what's inside so why bother?) then just comp it. The comp rate is probably really low compared to the wage they pay the UPS customer hotline to deal with angry people who have not received a $20 package.

Now if I'm getting a new Sony Playstation delivered I can see Amazon requiring a signature so they don't have to lose $400 if it doesn't arrive.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:42 PM

612 posts, read 844,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Used to have this problem in the past, no longer. I guess they realized they got tired of dealing with customers complaining to them directly.
That's right, which is why you file a Better Business Bureau complaint on their behind- - this will snap them to attention real quick I've found out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products