Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 03:29 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times

Advertisements

There's a blast from the past. Didn't realize the ole BBB was still around. I don't know anyone - consumers or business owners - that considers them relevant. It's a toothless organization set up by businesses as a distraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 03:36 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
There's a blast from the past. Didn't realize the ole BBB was still around. I don't know anyone - consumers or business owners - that considers them relevant. It's a toothless organization set up by businesses as a distraction.
Correct. Contrary to popular belief, the BBB has a .org extension on the website, not .gov. It's not a government entity despite "bureau" being part of the name. It is a non profit that is more similar to your neighborhood Goodwill than the FCC or FTC.

Oh, and... this:

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/busin...ry?id=12123843

Old 08-03-2018, 04:54 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Used to have this problem in the past, no longer. I guess they realized they got tired of dealing with customers complaining to them directly.

It's not complicated. If a package is precious then require a signature (FedEx usually). If it is a regular eCommerce buy with low value then just leave it. If someone steals the package (rare because they have no clue what's inside so why bother?) then just comp it. The comp rate is probably really low compared to the wage they pay the UPS customer hotline to deal with angry people who have not received a $20 package.

Now if I'm getting a new Sony Playstation delivered I can see Amazon requiring a signature so they don't have to lose $400 if it doesn't arrive.
I get expensive things from Amazon and they never require a signature. It is normally the carrier that require signatures, not the store. FedEx requires signatures for things above a certain value, but I’ve never seen UPS or the post office do the same. Even with FedEx for the signature requirement, if you sign the piece of paper that they leave on the door if you weren’t home they will leave it the next day without anyone being there.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:34 AM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I get expensive things from Amazon and they never require a signature. It is normally the carrier that require signatures, not the store. FedEx requires signatures for things above a certain value, but I’ve never seen UPS or the post office do the same. Even with FedEx for the signature requirement, if you sign the piece of paper that they leave on the door if you weren’t home they will leave it the next day without anyone being there.
The post office was not set up to handle the high load parcels which it now carries. With smaller trucks and carriers that walk with a push cart making up a large percentage of the workforce to little floor space in the stations to keep parcels awaiting pickup.

Not long after Amazon started really growing they started sending the majority of its product with the carrier release should no one be there. Most likely to stop you from going to Target on your own as it is more convenient then finding yourself trying to get to the post office during business hours. The replacement cost from porch pirate theft is made up in volume

It didn't take long for the USPS SOP to change from telling letter carriers to leave pieces whenever possible if the situation seemed relatively safe, to leave packages in all situations where the customers did not buy an additional service requiring a signature. In most districts today if you didn't have something left it was because the carrier said the piece was to heavy or just didn't fit in his vehicle and the local manager didn't have anyone else stronger or find one of the larger vehicles available without pulling/forcing someone else over at time and a half or double time pay.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:45 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The post office was not set up to handle the high load parcels which it now carries. With smaller trucks and carriers that walk with a push cart making up a large percentage of the workforce to little floor space in the stations to keep parcels awaiting pickup.

Not long after Amazon started really growing they started sending the majority of its product with the carrier release should no one be there. Most likely to stop you from going to Target on your own as it is more convenient then finding yourself trying to get to the post office during business hours. The replacement cost from porch pirate theft is made up in volume

It didn't take long for the USPS SOP to change from telling letter carriers to leave pieces whenever possible if the situation seemed relatively safe, to leave packages in all situations where the customers did not buy an additional service requiring a signature. In most districts today if you didn't have something left it was because the carrier said the piece was to heavy or just didn't fit in his vehicle and the local manager didn't have anyone else stronger or find one of the larger vehicles available without pulling/forcing someone else over at time and a half or double time pay.
I have something or other delivered from Amazon at least once a week, and I never have any problems with them not leaving things when I'm not home and I am never asked for a signature whether it is UPS or USPS. Even when I bought my honey a tablet for Christmas. The only time in the past year I had anyone require a signature was when I bought something not on Amazon, but a company that used FedEx. I called them and actually complained, because I don't get home from work early enough and the nearest FedEx facility is 40 minutes away from me. That person told me FedEx now requires signatures for items worth over $100.00. I was able to sign the note he left and tape it to the door saying it's okay.

My problem with USPS again, was that they don't go upstairs, and would leave my stuff out in the parking lot under my mailbox. Anyone could have walked away with it, and often I'd come home in bad weather and have to bring a soaked and ripping box upstairs. I complained then too, and they told me USPS employees are not allowed to go upstairs. I had to cancel a lot of my Subscribe and Save items when they started using USPS because the box was too heavy for me to bring up. UPS always brought it up.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:34 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I live in a house and they just throw packages on the porch, don't knock on the door or anything.
That's because you're in a house, not an apartment building.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:48 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Wow, I have been really lucky with my UPS deliveries and pick ups. The guys are great and I have gotten to know a few well enough that one was even leaving treats for my dogs when he delivered at one of my locations!
Me too. My biggest problem is that my UPS and FedEx delivery guys are kind of social, and they seem to want to chit chat when they deliver the packages. Don't ask me why. I have told them that they can just leave them in front of my door anytime. But they insist on knocking and waiting for me to answer. If I don't answer quick enough, they give me an attitude, like I'm being rude to them or something, and try to leave a non-delivery note on my door.

They used to just knock and leave the packages. But they stopped doing that a year or two ago. Maybe there have been package delivery thefts around here or something, but I have never heard of any. I wish they would just drop them at the door, so I don't have to listen for it.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:08 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,549,432 times
My small building gets tons of deliveries - UPS, Fedex, USPS, and Amazon. Its a really mixed bag in terms of how things are delivered. Yesterday I got a UPS delivery and they delivered it to my door and knocked once and left. I've seen packages at my neighbors' doors, but I also see many packages in the lobby next to the mailboxes.

Sometimes I find packages sitting outside the front door to the building. Fortunately this area is obscured and can't really be seen from the street. If there are packages outside when I come home, I usually move them into the lobby. I haven't heard of anyone getting something stolen from either inside or outside the building.

The delivery guys just keep pushing buttons until someone buzzes them in. Thankfully we have a very trustworthy group of neighbors so no one takes other people's packages and we all feel safe buzzing delivery guys in. I think that is why most of the stuff ends up in the lobby and not out on the front porch.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:31 PM

612 posts, read 844,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Me too. My biggest problem is that my UPS and FedEx delivery guys are kind of social, and they seem to want to chit chat when they deliver the packages. Don't ask me why. I have told them that they can just leave them in front of my door anytime. But they insist on knocking and waiting for me to answer. If I don't answer quick enough, they give me an attitude, like I'm being rude to them or something, and try to leave a non-delivery note on my door.

They used to just knock and leave the packages. But they stopped doing that a year or two ago. Maybe there have been package delivery thefts around here or something, but I have never heard of any. I wish they would just drop them at the door, so I don't have to listen for it.
Oh my Jesus, you don't realize how lucky you are/how good you have it. Even though I no longer have the problem I mentioned in the OP, I'll gladly trade my UPS person for yours

Old 08-03-2018, 06:06 PM

5,453 posts, read 4,058,826 times
I live in one unit of a 3 unit bldg that is an old house. Two doors are visible from the street and one is around back. Where do the packages wind up? In front of the door to the attached barn/garage. I feel like putting up a note saying "No one lives in this garage."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products