Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 01:07 PM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
None of those are "better" and most are substandard content. We've already discussed other competitors that offer free shipping and no one has been able to give an answer to my question of how they stand behind their guarantee except to say they don't give a guarantee. How is that "better"?
I never said they were better if you're referring to me. But they aren't promising me something and then not delivering on it. I'm not complaining about Amazon as a whole, but to have them advertise something as guaranteed and then not one customer service person can answer the question of what the guarantee means, again I have a problem with that as it's a deceptive use of that word. Legality has nothing to do with it. Again, the example I gave earlier, if you buy a swing set that says "guaranteed not to rust: and 6 months later it''s rusted, wouldn't you expect customer service has an answer when you ask what the guarantee means? If you say "My swing set rusted, how do you stand behind your guarantee?" and they just keep saying "we are so, so sorry! You are such a valuable customer!" and not answering the question, wouldn't you be bothered by that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 01:15 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The competition doesn’t use the word guaranteed. If they did not use the word guaranteed I would not expect anything of them. But when you use a word like that it is supposed to mean something. There is a principle here. You can’t put it in your marketing just because. You’re using that word for a reason, because you know people think that it means you stand behind what you say. If you’re going to use that in order to gain customers then you should actually mean what you say. Again I recognize integrity has long gone out the window, but to me it’s still worth something.

Are use the word standard, because the post I was replying to seem to imply that there is some standard compensation provided to prime members when the guarantee is not met. That is obviously not the case as you can see.
I don't have a dog in this fight. Today I received my daily email from Clark Howard and one of the timely topics was.

"Amazon delivery late again? Use this sample email to request compensation."

https://clark.com/shopping-retail/on...88402-71484157

Old 11-26-2018, 01:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, the example I gave earlier, if you buy a swing set that says "guaranteed not to rust: and 6 months later it''s rusted, wouldn't you expect customer service has an answer when you ask what the guarantee means? If you say "My swing set rusted, how do you stand behind your guarantee?" and they just keep saying "we are so, so sorry! You are such a valuable customer!" and not answering the question, wouldn't you be bothered by that?
But Amazon didn't just say "so sorry, too bad" they gave you $25. You were compensated for the late delivery.

$25 seems more then fair, I dont know what else you wanted them to do. Should Jeff Bezos issue you a personal apology for your package being 2 days late?

Old 11-26-2018, 02:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
I really don't get the logic in how some people expect a consistent defined compensation when no such compensation was offered. If you didn't understand the terms of the offer or care about the compensation when the offer was made then you have no business complaining about not getting something you were never promised.

If I say I guarantee to get your pizza to you in 30 minutes or it's free, then if I fail to do so you have a valid expectation that it will be free.

If I say I guarantee to get your pizza to you in 30 minutes or it's half price, then if I fail to do so you have a valid expectation that it will be half price.

If I only say I guarantee to get your pizza to you in 30 minutes, then I will give it my best efforts but you have no valid expectations of any specific compensation.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:15 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
Actually if you guys look it up you will find there ARE legal deffinitions of Guarantee.

I agree with the OP that if they guarantee something then they need a plan for what happens if they fail in that guarantee.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Actually if you guys look it up you will find there ARE legal deffinitions of Guarantee.

I agree with the OP that if they guarantee something then they need a plan for what happens if they fail in that guarantee.

And they have done so, clearly outlining that if they fail to meet their shipping guarantee then shipping fees are refunded.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:47 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I don't have a dog in this "fight" but I found a package on my porch the other day - it had been out there all day in a pretty heavy rain - it wasn't addressed to me, wasn't my street, wasn't even close to my house number - it did happen to be addressed to someone that I know in the neighborhood so I contacted her, but as I said it had been out all day in rain until I saw it the next morning - no excuse for deliveries like this (turned out to be an Amazon order, delivered by FedEx which had told her it had been delivered the morning before). I think Amazon needs to up their game if they charge people for Prime and it's no better than any other delivery out there.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight. Today I received my daily email from Clark Howard and one of the timely topics was.

"Amazon delivery late again? Use this sample email to request compensation."

https://clark.com/shopping-retail/on...88402-71484157
Thanks, but I wonder how old that is? People here have said they used to give a free month of Prime but stopped doing it.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
And they have done so, clearly outlining that if they fail to meet their shipping guarantee then shipping fees are refunded.
That is not the Prime guarantee, because Prime members never have shipping fees. If it were, surely one of the customer service reps would have stated it after the 30th time I asked what the policy is.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I really don't get the logic in how some people expect a consistent defined compensation when no such compensation was offered. If you didn't understand the terms of the offer or care about the compensation when the offer was made then you have no business complaining about not getting something you were never promised.

If I say I guarantee to get your pizza to you in 30 minutes or it's free, then if I fail to do so you have a valid expectation that it will be free.

If I say I guarantee to get your pizza to you in 30 minutes or it's half price, then if I fail to do so you have a valid expectation that it will be half price.

If I only say I guarantee to get your pizza to you in 30 minutes, then I will give it my best efforts but you have no valid expectations of any specific compensation.
I disagree with this completely. Sorry, that is deceptive, using a word to trick people into thinking you stand behind something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products