Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 01:36 PM

6,105 posts, read 2,727,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
By paying the inflated prices, you are giving companies your approval of the higher prices.
That sums it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 01:43 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
By paying the inflated prices, you are giving companies your approval of the higher prices.
I used hear that grocery stores were not seeing (many) consumers switch to bargain brands, but as inflation persists I think more consumers are starting to switch.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:52 PM

6,105 posts, read 2,727,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I used hear that grocery stores were not seeing (many) consumers switch to bargain brands, but as inflation persists I think more consumers are starting to switch.
I've been switching to more private-label brands lately.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:52 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Some people eat the same things, and the same recipes, and I think they are hit the hardest by inflation. They are not doing the bob and weave around prices.

I buy what is a good value to me (cost/quality) and then I make meals from that.

We used to buy prime steaks from costco like every month, now it's been every 6 months. Eating more pork because that didn't go up as much. I've always leaned towards vegetarian, so I'm fine with a few meals a week being meat free. Over the last couple years I have vastly extended my use of beans.

Someone on another thread commented how ridiculous it is that they just paid $6 for a cabbage. Yes, that is ridiculous, and I have to think you could have gone to another store and not paid that. Every that chimed in has been paying a couple bucks.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-16-2023, 01:54 PM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
and now they expect tips too.
I ate at our local CFA last week. When they turned around the screen for me to pay, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it did not ask for a tip.

For other places, an easy way to avoid the Tip Screen at the counter is to pay with cash.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:57 PM

3,215 posts, read 1,673,950 times
They can price gouge anything and I have a choice not to consume.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:58 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
Remember how much eggs were ( and still not a bargain) a few weeks ago? I was complaining that my mother's day card AT WALMART was over $7. I splurged as I usually go to the Dollar Store as they are much cheaper ( but not as fancy).

Unlike some here, I WILL go to Ch-F-L. Love their peach shakes.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:03 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
We don't eat fast food, but I could never bring myself to pay those prices. Well, if we are in the middle of nowhere, and that's what was available I would...

But we normally get a supermarket fresh made sandwich from the deli. Surprisingly good, and at 8.99 we split it because it is so big. Our other choice when running errands is TJs, and we normally get a lentil wrap and split it, price hit $4.99. Couple times we also grabbed a salad (they have an awesome selection) for another 4.99 hit.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-16-2023, 03:58 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Trying to get through to the OP: price gouging is, for instance: tornado, whatever, NO power, no water, etc. and people trying to sell a simple bottle of water for $5 (or more). Inflation isn't price gouging.

Old 05-16-2023, 04:05 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Trying to get through to the OP: price gouging is, for instance: tornado, whatever, NO power, no water, etc. and people trying to sell a simple bottle of water for $5 (or more). Inflation isn't price gouging.

But the OP is enjoying their indignation. Don't disabuse them by citing helpful information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products