Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 04:06 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Trying to get through to the OP: price gouging is, for instance: tornado, whatever, NO power, no water, etc. and people trying to sell a simple bottle of water for $5 (or more). Inflation isn't price gouging.
Absolutely. Words do have meanings.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 06:29 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Trying to get through to the OP: price gouging is, for instance: tornado, whatever, NO power, no water, etc. and people trying to sell a simple bottle of water for $5 (or more). Inflation isn't price gouging.
Sorry, but it is more nuanced than that. (Nobody raises water prices after a tornado, for one thing.)

Florida had laws enacted about "price gouging" after a hurricane. Otherwise gasoline went for a premium, etc. I understand the sentiment.

Inflation is a steady increase in prices because of various underlying cost factors.

Price "gouging" - definition 1 - relates to charging insanely high prices for goods and services that people cannot avoid for any reason. Go into an emergency room in a hospital without insurance, and there will be price gouging. You think you are dying and need immediate medical care, the insurance companies have negotiated lower costs for themselves and their policyholders, but at the same time the hospital inflates rates to cash customers. Why? You get right down to the "follow the money" and it has to do with frightening people into buying insurance and clipping those who don't, as well as the cost of insurance for the hospital itself to protect it from lawsuits.

When a hurricane occurs, there are usually DAYS of warning. Not minutes, not hours, but days and sometimes even weeks. I have seen, firsthand, lines of idiots seeking free water after a hurricane because they didn't have the brainpower of a frog to anticipate in advance to even pick up a used bottle by the side of the road and clean it and fill it with water.

In a free market capitalist economy, pricing is set by the seller and if it works, the seller makes money. If it doesn't and the price is too high, they don't.

A nuance comes when there is limited supply and high demand. With a limited supply of gasoline, economics dictates one of three outcomes:

1. Rationing. Those of us who lived through 1973 or further back, WWII, know exactly how that works. It gets people by, but there is whinging and moaning.

2. Collapse of the market from not rationing and simply allowing the supply to all get sold. That is actually the scariest outcome, because those who are not first in line but have desperate need can suffer or even die. "Sorry, the ambulance can't come for you. No gas."

3.Price increases, often sudden and dramatic. That is what happened with eggs. Short supply, huge demand, the demand was curbed by price increases.

There are no other responses, and what Florida deemed as "gouging" was not in fact. It was a free market response. Those who had desperate need for gasoline, could get it. The limited supplies were stretched to last because of the high prices. However, it was politicly a disaster because of the whinging from the unprepared with a voter card.

True gouging is a dangerous dangerous game for stores to play. After the demise of Winn Dixie, I was a stalwart shopper at Publix for years (after first buying at less expensive markets to save money). I appreciated the employee-owned concept even though pricing was a little high. I have not been in a Publix in months.

Why the change? I caught Publix price gouging at the same time its customer service was worsening. As an example, I had a manufacturer coupon for a product. That manufacturer coupon stated a range of what it would pay for a BOGO (buy one, get one free). Publix had marked the price of that product at 150% of what the top limit was as a manufacturer suggested price. There is no way on earth the cost to Publix on that product had jumped to justify that price. It was not a one-off problem, but something I was noting elsewhere in pricing at the store.

For about $10, Publix lost me as a regular customer, where I used to spend a couple thousand a year. Multiply me by hundreds of other customers finding other places to buy and it becomes a problem for Publix.

The gouging there occurred because some bean counter thought that the customers were too loyal and too stupid to notice a price that was outrageous and provided easy profits. It has always had an upper class customer base who care more about customer service than prices, but then it has started failing there.

Price gouging is -definition 2- unjustified price increases when costs and conditions do not warrant those increases. Pumping up the price of eggs in a shortage is not gouging. Keeping those prices high after the shortage is gone and the wholesale price has dropped IS.

See the difference and nuances?

Old 05-16-2023, 06:34 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Have you been to the grocery store lately?
Have you been to the gas station lately?

$4.95 a gallon in Phoenix.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:05 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
From time to time I like to get chick fil as a treat I tend to get their fried chicken sandwiches never tried the grilled version.

The other day I decided to get their grilled chicken club and I kid you not they wanted $11.39 for just the grilled chicken club with a combo it came close to the $20 range I was going to get two of those sandwiches and a combo I ended up saying no thanks and went to the popeyes a few doors down and got a couple of chicken sandwiches for half the price which are bigger and far superior.

These prices are getting ridiculous and now they expect tips too. I saw Mcdonald's was charging $3 for 1 stinking hashbrown.

I know the answer is to eat at home. Have you been to the grocery store lately? Ok, rant over just my 2cents on how ridiculous price gouging has become.
You eat stinking hasbrowns?

Old 05-16-2023, 07:19 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
From time to time I like to get chick fil as a treat I tend to get their fried chicken sandwiches never tried the grilled version.

The other day I decided to get their grilled chicken club and I kid you not they wanted $11.39 for just the grilled chicken club with a combo it came close to the $20 range I was going to get two of those sandwiches and a combo I ended up saying no thanks and went to the popeyes a few doors down and got a couple of chicken sandwiches for half the price which are bigger and far superior.

These prices are getting ridiculous and now they expect tips too. I saw Mcdonald's was charging $3 for 1 stinking hashbrown.

I know the answer is to eat at home. Have you been to the grocery store lately? Ok, rant over just my 2cents on how ridiculous price gouging has become.
Hmmm it’s about 12 bucks for the combo here.
I can’t imagine it being that much higher there than here. I was in the San Francisco Bay Area a few weeks ago. Big Mac meal was 9.79 there and it’s 8.39 here, so about 16 percent more.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:35 PM

2,036 posts, read 992,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

See the difference and nuances?
You've described what economists call price stickiness, not gouging.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:57 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
You've described what economists call price stickiness, not gouging.
LOL!, yes, to a certain extent, you are correct. I suspect you have been paying attention to how it all works. There is price stickiness, with it being slightly in the favor of the merchant. When it continues without justification, it becomes gouging. Again, nuance.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:52 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Chick fil a isn't even that expensive here in Hawaii

I can't stand the Popeyes sandwich, though, which is sad as I love everything else from Popeyes

Old 05-17-2023, 04:50 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
You're seeing it in the eyes of a business owner which is understandable. I see it in the eyes of a consumer as unfair pricing.

Yes, folks don't have to eat there they can take their businesses elsewhere. And at some point, the public will refuse to continue being fleeced especially by the big food corps.

That's why you see BK closing 400 restaurants people aren't eating out as much because it's expensive. The lure of eating fast food was the affordability aspect so when it starts becoming unafordable people stop eating out.

I went to McD's about a month ago, had a $2 big mac coupon where you didn't have to buy another or anything else. There was also a buy 1 get 1 free big mac. I looked at the price of the big mac without coupon, it was about $8 for just the sandwich! All of their big burgers went up. I should have looked at the price for a cheese burger but did not. I ended up with the $2 big mac instead of treating someone to the other big mac.

I don't doubt that they all raised their prices. Some are really hurting for business because of the amount of people doing work from home, they're not eating out because they don't have to. I saw an article about businesses in Manhattan, how they're hurting from the WFH. It won't surprise me if they lose a chunk of businesses due to it. Some may close because the township is hurting from not getting property tax money from some companies, so they're hurting too.

I think that next year at this time, we'll be seeing if we're on track for recovery or if the recession will get a lot worst. It may happen a lot sooner if the US declares our treasury is broke.

I was watching a discovery TV show about Fort Knox. People are questioning if the government has sold a good chunk of "our" gold. It could hold the gold but it's gold that they privately sold. The show says that no one has elaborated on exactly what Fort Knox is storing, it is all speculation that there was gold there at one time. I saw another show that said the US has deep caves where it stores things, even things like music albums, photos of President and other famous people and whatever else needs protecting by having it there as a back up in case where the original is stored gets compromised.

Old 05-17-2023, 06:51 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
No of course it isn't. But the truth is, companies obfuscate illegitimate price increases when inflation is high. Say that that inflation is responsible for the cost of an item to a consumer going up 20%. Who will notice if they tack on an additional 5% or 10%? They have plausible deniability.

This is a short term strategy as eventually competition will bring those peak prices back down - except for those products where companies use wink-and-a-nod collusion with competitors to make unwarranted price increases permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products