Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 07:22 AM

449 posts, read 283,088 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying that price is justified for the grilled club sandwich, but sandwiches that have bacon on them are notoriously more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 07:56 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
A business has two purposes (in no particular order).

1. Provide value to society/economy (in terms of products and services).
2. Make a profit.
Actually, there is a particular order to that.

1. Make a profit.
2. Provide value to society/economy (in terms of products and services).

Old 05-17-2023, 08:42 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
From time to time I like to get chick fil as a treat I tend to get their fried chicken sandwiches never tried the grilled version.

The other day I decided to get their grilled chicken club and I kid you not they wanted $11.39 for just the grilled chicken club

And the price of chicken has come down.
All restaurants have seemingly out-paced food inflation, and there are too many of them apparently; as even Burger King is now closing locations deemed unprofitable.
It seems the service industry as a whole cannot handle paying living wages anymore, at least without making said products and service unaffordable to their customer base; existing business models are breaking.

Old 05-17-2023, 08:46 AM

6,105 posts, read 2,727,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
All restaurants have seemingly out-paced food inflation, and there are too many of them apparently; as even Burger King is now closing locations deemed unprofitable.
It seems the service industry as a whole cannot handle paying living wages anymore, at least without making said products and service unaffordable to their customer base; existing business models are breaking.
Chicken is cheaper than Beef and Pork least around here.

Old 05-17-2023, 09:47 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Normally complaints of "price gouging" are just rants but the OP has a point and that is on occasion certain locations will greatly increase their prices to "test the market".

One town near me, I stopped at McD's and they wanted about $10 for a 2 cheeseburger combo...which was about $7 in other places in the general area. All their other combos were jacked up too.

So, I left and will never go to that store again. Ever. *shrug* Vote with your wallet folks.

P.S. This is in a VERY low cost of living rural area. The McD's is the only fast food in that tiny town so I think they're just trying to flex a little monopoly power.

Old 05-17-2023, 09:47 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Chicken is cheaper than Beef and Pork least around here.
Chicken may be cheaper at retailers in your area.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:45 AM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Actually, there is a particular order to that.

1. Make a profit.
2. Provide value to society/economy (in terms of products and services).

Correct. Because if you don't do #1, you won't be around to do #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post

Ok.. I think too much is being made of BK closing 400 restaurants. They'll still have ~7000 in the US.

I'd be interested to see where some of these closing locations are located. I suspect many of them are likely in older buildings, areas that have shifted their focus and things like that.

This is less that the company is in trouble, and more that.. If I were an investor, I'd WANT to see this. No point in keeping underperforming locations open. So, I don't see this as any form of problem. They shut down ANOTHER 400 on top of that.. We're getting towards 10% of their locations and.. that could be an issue.

Old 05-17-2023, 11:33 AM

7,597 posts, read 3,254,071 times
Quote:
From time to time I like to get chick fil as a treat I tend to get their fried chicken sandwiches never tried the grilled version.

The other day I decided to get their grilled chicken club and I kid you not they wanted $11.39 for just the grilled chicken club with a combo it came close to the $20 range I was going to get two of those sandwiches and a combo I ended up saying no thanks and went to the popeyes a few doors down and got a couple of chicken sandwiches for half the price which are bigger and far superior.

These prices are getting ridiculous and now they expect tips too. I saw Mcdonald's was charging $3 for 1 stinking hashbrown.

I know the answer is to eat at home. Have you been to the grocery store lately? Ok, rant over just my 2cents on how ridiculous price gouging has become.
You can buy prepared chicken / chicken wings at the grocery store a lot cheaper than fast food.

Old 05-17-2023, 12:24 PM

21,939 posts, read 9,513,063 times
It's almost like the OP has not eaten out in the last year.

Old 05-17-2023, 05:41 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
A business has two purposes (in no particular order).

1. Provide value to society/economy (in terms of products and services).
2. Make a profit.
Sorry that is incorrect - a business has one main purpose

1. Make a profit for the owner by SELLING something of value to THEIR customers (not society/economy)

BTW - it is NOT price gouging if you have options - such as Popeye's or Chic-fil-a - price gouging is if the price is attempting to take unfair advantage with no options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products