Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 09:14 AM

6,105 posts, read 2,727,097 times

Advertisements

From time to time I like to get chick fil as a treat I tend to get their fried chicken sandwiches never tried the grilled version.

The other day I decided to get their grilled chicken club and I kid you not they wanted $11.39 for just the grilled chicken club with a combo it came close to the $20 range I was going to get two of those sandwiches and a combo I ended up saying no thanks and went to the popeyes a few doors down and got a couple of chicken sandwiches for half the price which are bigger and far superior.

These prices are getting ridiculous and now they expect tips too. I saw Mcdonald's was charging $3 for 1 stinking hashbrown.

I know the answer is to eat at home. Have you been to the grocery store lately? Ok, rant over just my 2cents on how ridiculous price gouging has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 09:24 AM

1,065 posts, read 472,165 times
I wouldn't say that you're concerned with price gouging, per se. More that you're concerned that an item of convenience is more than what you'd like to pay for it.

I paid $1.50 for an item of convenience yesterday (a 16oz bag of frozen vegetables). Yes, it's not as cheap as it used to be, but still affordable.

Old 05-16-2023, 09:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Price gouging is raising prices to take advantage of a scarcity of a product. Your complaint is simply inflation. Like everyone else, Chikfil-a has to pay more for their chicken and other foods, pay employees more, and their insurance and utility costs are up. That has to be passed on in order to maintain a profit, which is the sole purpose of a business. I have never eaten at a Chikfil-a and probably never will, but I had a small business that served other businesses for 16 years which I lost in the recession of 2008. For me raising prices was not an option, the problem was my customers going out of business.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:13 AM

1,065 posts, read 472,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That has to be passed on in order to maintain a profit, which is the sole purpose of a business.
A business has two purposes (in no particular order).

1. Provide value to society/economy (in terms of products and services).
2. Make a profit.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:25 AM

6,105 posts, read 2,727,097 times
Quote:
Price gouging is raising prices to take advantage of a scarcity of a product. Your complaint is simply inflation. Like everyone else, Chikfil-a has to pay more for their chicken and other foods, pay employees more, and their insurance and utility costs are up. That has to be passed on in order to maintain a profit, which is the sole purpose of a business. I have never eaten at a Chikfil-a and probably never will, but I had a small business that served other businesses for 16 years which I lost in the recession of 2008. For me raising prices was not an option, the problem was my customers going out of business.
You're seeing it in the eyes of a business owner which is understandable. I see it in the eyes of a consumer as unfair pricing.

Yes, folks don't have to eat there they can take their businesses elsewhere. And at some point, the public will refuse to continue being fleeced especially by the big food corps.

That's why you see BK closing 400 restaurants people aren't eating out as much because it's expensive. The lure of eating fast food was the affordability aspect so when it starts becoming unafordable people stop eating out.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:30 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Inflation (not price gouging) has hit all businesses, even Chick-fil-a.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:32 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
And that's what also happens when there is a scarcity, simple Demand/Supply.

Price gouging is when gas doubles in price (or batteries, or bottled water, or select numerous other products three days before a hurricane/blizzard is projected to strike. No scarcity, just actual and real price gouging.

Old 05-16-2023, 11:03 AM

2,037 posts, read 992,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post

That's why you see BK closing 400 restaurants people aren't eating out as much because it's expensive. The lure of eating fast food was the affordability aspect so when it starts becoming unafordable people stop eating out.
There are some very not-good reasons that junk food was kept artificially cheap for so long.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:54 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
You're seeing it in the eyes of a business owner which is understandable. I see it in the eyes of a consumer as unfair pricing.

Yes, folks don't have to eat there they can take their businesses elsewhere. And at some point, the public will refuse to continue being fleeced especially by the big food corps.

Do you think that the cost of goods and services for the owners of restaurants hasn't increased since inflation has risen? You call it gouging; I call it passing along the increased cost of supplies and expenses.

Cost of wages
Cost of heat/air conditioning
Cost of raw chicken
Cost of potatoes
Cost of utilities
Cost of paper goods
Cost of real estate taxes

Just like the business owners, the costs of running my house have increased. My average food bill at the supermarket has gone up. My monthly utility bill has increased. The cost of mowing my lawn has gone up. For sure, my internet and streaming bills keep going up.

You are certainly free to stop eating at establishments in which you feel you receive poor value for your money. Eating restaurant food has always been more expensive than eating at home. Check out the Frugal Living forum (https://www.city-data.com/forum/frugal-living/)

It's just that you are now seeing everything at a higher level, so the ultimate price seems excessive to you. That cost premium for having someone else prepare your food has always been there. Check out Food Inflation to see a long discussion on the rising costs of buying food. https://www.city-data.com/forum/shop...-holy-cow.html

Old 05-16-2023, 12:56 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
By paying the inflated prices, you are giving companies your approval of the higher prices.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products