Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 06:48 PM

51 posts, read 26,355 times

Advertisements

It is hard to adjust to these higher prices...hard to believe your eyes when reading the menu.

But, I would rather pay more than to have them lower the quality of their offerings.
I don't want to buy poor quality products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 07:12 AM

9,113 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by august moon View Post
It is hard to adjust to these higher prices...hard to believe your eyes when reading the menu.

But, I would rather pay more than to have them lower the quality of their offerings.
I don't want to buy poor quality products.

I wish restaurants would have smaller portions of higher quality products.

Old 05-18-2023, 08:26 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Agree. I have found that easier to find in San Francisco.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-18-2023, 08:53 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Actually, there is a particular order to that.

1. Make a profit.
2. Provide value to society/economy (in terms of products and services).
I see it the other way around because if you aren't providing a value to someone, then no one is going to buy your product/service and you won't make a profit.

Old 05-18-2023, 02:06 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
The problem with saying higher prices is just inflation is that while the prices are going sky high and businesses are telling us they need to make a profit, they're showing huge profits every quarter while still jacking up prices. It's definitely price gouging.

Revealed: top US corporations raising prices on Americans even as profits surge

https://www.theguardian.com/business...prices-profits

Old 05-18-2023, 05:46 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The problem with saying higher prices is just inflation is that while the prices are going sky high and businesses are telling us they need to make a profit, they're showing huge profits every quarter while still jacking up prices. It's definitely price gouging.

Revealed: top US corporations raising prices on Americans even as profits surge

https://www.theguardian.com/business...prices-profits
Higher profits is a math thing.

2% of $100 in sales is $2. If prices double due to increased raw materials cost, wages, insurance, whatever, the company still nets 2%, but now it's on $200 of sales, so $4.

Did profits really double? No, the cost of production doubled so the ratio is the same.

That's what inflation does to "record profits".

Old 05-18-2023, 09:07 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
We went out for dinner a few days ago with our daughter and son-in-law in their town. I was absolutely thrilled when I saw that every main entree was offered in 2 sizes: the regular size and a small size. I ordered the small size. It was the perfect serving size: a single chicken breast and a right sized amount of pasta. I wish more restaurants would offer this option or smaller sizes.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:19 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
We went out for dinner a few days ago with our daughter and son-in-law in their town. I was absolutely thrilled when I saw that every main entree was offered in 2 sizes: the regular size and a small size. I ordered the small size. It was the perfect serving size: a single chicken breast and a right sized amount of pasta. I wish more restaurants would offer this option or smaller sizes.
I do, too, and also because I hate food waste. Today I went to a work event that included a lunch. After a salad, two pieces of crispy chicken breast were on the plate, along with a side of "shaved Brussels sprouts with potatoes and mushrooms". I could not finish the chicken and I noticed almost everybody left some on their plates. One piece would have been enough. There were probably a hundred people in attendance. All that food would now be thrown out.

Old 05-18-2023, 11:09 PM

6,096 posts, read 2,717,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I do, too, and also because I hate food waste. Today I went to a work event that included a lunch. After a salad, two pieces of crispy chicken breast were on the plate, along with a side of "shaved Brussels sprouts with potatoes and mushrooms". I could not finish the chicken and I noticed almost everybody left some on their plates. One piece would have been enough. There were probably a hundred people in attendance. All that food would now be thrown out.
I'm all for smaller portions just don't make the portions smaller and charge me the same price as I've noticed at some restaurants or else raise the price and charge smaller portions.

Old 05-19-2023, 04:31 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
I have been saying this like forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products