Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 02:23 PM

28 posts, read 70,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I buy and try store brands too...But grocery stores don't push their brands "in your face" as much...They still carry a large selection of other brands...This is what I prefer.
I agree , the other grocery stores in our area don't push their brands like our Wal-Mart does. Maybe there are some "Great Value" products that are better than name brands, but I feel that when there are fewer and fewer name brands available to choose from...then it becomes time not to shop at Wal-Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 03:13 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,541,240 times
I have bought the equivalent of ziploc bags there...(maybe not ziploc, but the kind where you squeeze the 2 lines together and make a seal)....they are okay for the price and serve the purpose just fine...

Seems like I recently bought some potato chips there.......ruffled kind......they were fine, too..... I think the bag was white with blue writing, so I am guessing it was their brand.....it definitely wasn't Lays, Frito, etc.....

My girl likes clear Sam's Choice water with the bubbles in it....effervescent or whatever it's called....cherry and black cherry.....

I find all kinds of brand name items there, so I guess I don't shop for the same things that some of you others do......

Old 05-12-2010, 01:46 AM

609 posts, read 1,261,462 times
i work at walmart. theyll do anything to make a buck. a lot of people buy the cheaper brands because theyre more affordable, it was pretty recent that they really went gung-ho with the great value...it was always there but now its pretty abundant. i dont buy any of it though, i dont actually like shopping there. why support something that makes me angry on a daily basis. lol.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:36 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,277,324 times
I always buy store brands unless there is a particular product brand I really love or have a coupon for. I don't always buy groceries at WalMart, but when I do, I've always been happy with the Great Value products. Most of them are probably made by the same manufacturer as something with a different brand name on the shelf. It's not as though WalMart or Publix make their own laundry detergent.

The only problem for me on some of the Great Value products is that the quantity is too big for one person. Since the kids are no longer living at home, I just don't need or want a huge amount of anything at one time.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:43 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,326,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklez_304 View Post
i work at walmart. theyll do anything to make a buck. a lot of people buy the cheaper brands because theyre more affordable, it was pretty recent that they really went gung-ho with the great value...it was always there but now its pretty abundant. i dont buy any of it though, i dont actually like shopping there. why support something that makes me angry on a daily basis. lol.
Thanks for posting. Do you receive an employee's discount when you shop at Wal-Mart? Just curious....Don't blame you for shopping elsewhere if you are not happy with your job and the company you work for.....Have you seen a lot of "rolled-back prices" at your store? I am not really a big "Wal-Mart fan" myself. Thanks again.....

Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 PM

609 posts, read 1,261,462 times
we get a 10% discount, which isnt much but it doesnt apply to grocerys or sale priced or clearance items. we've had crazy rollbacks lately. we had a lot of clearance sales too because we're remodeling. i do most of my shopping at walmart. when it comes to store brands though, i prefer store brand cola...but not walmarts. i get it at the grocery stores lol

Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 PM

22,885 posts, read 6,451,080 times
After a shopping trip I noticed I'd bought a lot of the white packaged Great Value label. Some things I still buy brand name, like soup, but on most stuff I find their products are good. There seems to be many more of their brand now or I notice it more because of the packaging.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:31 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,829,388 times
I buy the Great Value split-top wheat bread, and I like it very much. The "name brand" bread costs $3.89 at another "low price" store, and the GV costs only $1.74. I buy 2 loaves, freeze the extra one. I also like their GV lactose-free milk. The name brand costs nearly $4.00 for 1/2 gallon, GV costs $2.88. As much as I hate going to the mall for bread and milk, the savings on these 2 staples are worth it to me.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:56 AM

12,540 posts, read 2,142,547 times
I agree with the OP...after my local Walmart remodeled, I noticed the selection of brands drastically reduced, with the Great Value brand being most prominent. Even the choices in the frozen section have gone down. They used to have a very large frozen veggie section, and now it is very small.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:34 AM

61,914 posts, read 87,450,383 times
In stores like Walmart you get stuff of great value, but don't expect anything to be a good quality. If you buy cheap, you get cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products