Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
Why most sports fans (non soccer fans) in the US hate the MLS and hate the MLS supporter groups? I think the supporter groups if they support all city teams will improve results, create atmosphere and of course increase ticket sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Ignorance. Its one thing not to take an interest in the sport(which is fine), but its another thing to slate the sport and hate it because you don't have an interest in it.
weird, OP asks why MSL is not embraced in the US and some soccer bo-bo immediately chimes in calling Americans ignorant...on the second thought, not really so weird after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Weird, I never saw JD calling Americans ignorant. Whats also not weird is that you're back in the soccer forum trolling again.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
A ha!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:37 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Weird, I never saw JD calling Americans ignorant....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Ignorance. Its one thing not to take an interest in the sport(which is fine), but its another thing to slate the sport and hate it because you don't have an interest in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
A ha!
so easy...

Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trequartista View Post
oh really, name me all these talents who are under 27

There are several players in the league that are under 27 that are extremely talented. Also, just because a player is above 27, doesnt mean they are not in their prime or not playing at a high level.

Here is last year's 24 under 24 list:

Brek Shea (FC Dallas)
Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls)
Freddy Adu (Philadelphia Union)
Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City)
Steve Zakuani (Seattle Sounders)
Juninho (LA Galaxy)
Danny Mwanga (Philadelphia Union)
Bill Hamid (D.C. United)
Andy Najar (D.C. United)
Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers)
Roger Torres (Philadelphia Union)
C.J. Sapong (Sporting Kansas City)
Sanna Nyassi (Colorado Rapids)
Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo)
Perry Kitchen (D.C. United)
Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake)
Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)
Fabián Castillo (FC Dallas)
Omar Salgado (Vancouver Whitecaps)
Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union)
Michael Farfan (Philadelphia Union)
Joao Plata (Toronto FC)
Gabriel Farfan (Philadelphia Union)
Sainey Nyassi (New England Revolution)

Living in the United States and not supporting MLS because you think it lacks talent is beyond ridiculous and shows either an elitist attitude that you think makes you look better than people or you are simply ignorant about the sport and you think you know it. I know people from Spain, England, France, and Italy who moved here in the last 10 years and have season tickets to Sporting Kansas City. One of these guys grew up having season tickets to Liverpool and had them until he moved and he is a huge MLS fan despite growing up supporting the world's top league. If he can appreciate the talent, so can you unless you refuse to do so for some foolish reason.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
"Hate" is a bit dramatic. A lot of people don't follow MLS for a variety of reasons. They may not like soccer, they may not like sports, they may not have a local MLS club.

MLS does not have the biggest media presence.

It depends on the team. Several teams have strong social media presence. One of the driving factors behind SKC's turnaround is social media. Our CEO and owner, Robb Heineman uses Twitter and Facebook daily. He responds to fans and even posts on BigSoccer and continually reads it as well. The team post things on their accounts several times a day.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
weird, OP asks why MSL is not embraced in the US and some soccer bo-bo immediately chimes in calling Americans ignorant...on the second thought, not really so weird after all.

You do realize that the term ignorant is not necessarily an insult, right? It doesnt mean stupid or dumb. It means lack of knowledge. It would be accurate to say that a majority of Americans are ignorant about the sport of soccer.

I am not a physicists so I would say that I am ignorant when it comes to psychics.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
so easy...
What's easy? To make up a false story about what someone else said? That guy said, "Ignorance. Its one thing not to take an interest in the sport(which is fine), but its another thing to slate the sport and hate it because you don't have an interest in it."

You will note that he didn't call Americans ignorant. He called people that hate something that they aren't interested in. I am not interested in knitting, but I surely don't hate it, if I did that would be pretty ignorant in my view.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
as evidenced by this thread, it's not so much the soccer we hate, it's the soccer fans
This is pretty much it. Soccer fans' constant approval-seeking of their fandom and/or their sport is positively grating.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This is pretty much it. Soccer fans' constant approval-seeking of their fandom and/or their sport is positively grating.
Just like Bears fans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer