Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,857,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
Can you remind us where New York Giants are actually playing their home games?
soccer is not the NFL

Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,234,466 times
meh ... there isn't much of a distance difference from midtown manhattan to redbulls arena than the distance from downtown salt lake to rio tinto or from central KC out to sporting park

the red bulls only exist because of New York .... not Newark

also keep in mind the NFL teams in NY once upon a time actually played in NY ..... available cheap land pushed them out to the suburbs just like many other cities .... their burbs just happen to be in a couple different states

Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 PM

921 posts, read 1,096,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
soccer is not the NFL
It is not, but your point does not make any sense.
Northern Jersey is almost like a suburb to NYC, so that is not an issue if you ask me.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:08 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,005,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
nobody is watching MLS on TV. The ratings are worse than women's volleyball.
Well, let's just shut down the whole league then. I mean if they are struggling in one area then then nobody is interested, right? It doesnt matter that ticket sales are up, season tickets are up, merchandise is up, revenue is up, stadiums are being built, business men are paying 100 million to join the club, and dozens of other positive indicators just dont matter?

You cant just pick the league's one problem area and make a ridiculous claim that nobody has interest despite tons of evidence to the contrary. Every league has it's problems. The NBAs attendance keeps going down, the NHL is being hit with strongly declining ticket sales and franchises barely surviving, the MLB keeps having steroid drama, and the NFL has identity issues with player off-the-field behavior. Do these things mean that no one is interested? Every business has its problems but that doesnt mean they are all failing or that no one is interested.

The new deal with NBC Sports is improving the ratings and the new contract and improved broadcast of the games will help in 2014 as well. Lots of fans watch the games via MLS Live. I dont watch the games through standard cable, I use the MLS website.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:37 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,417,165 times
Me too, MLS Live is a Godsend. I cancelled TV because of it too =) Nothing better than having access to every game live, every full game recorded, highlights and condensed like a DVR at your fingertips. I use my Roku for MLS Live as does my friend so there is lost TV viewers and gained MLS viewers. Ive never seen numbers on how many subscribers they have for it though, but its streets ahead of NFL and College Ball that they do offer this.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Well, let's just shut down the whole league then. I mean if they are struggling in one area then then nobody is interested, right? It doesnt matter that ticket sales are up, season tickets are up, merchandise is up, revenue is up, stadiums are being built, business men are paying 100 million to join the club, and dozens of other positive indicators just dont matter?

You cant just pick the league's one problem area and make a ridiculous claim that nobody has interest despite tons of evidence to the contrary. Every league has it's problems. The NBAs attendance keeps going down, the NHL is being hit with strongly declining ticket sales and franchises barely surviving, the MLB keeps having steroid drama, and the NFL has identity issues with player off-the-field behavior. Do these things mean that no one is interested? Every business has its problems but that doesnt mean they are all failing or that no one is interested.

The new deal with NBC Sports is improving the ratings and the new contract and improved broadcast of the games will help in 2014 as well. Lots of fans watch the games via MLS Live. I dont watch the games through standard cable, I use the MLS website.
more people would watch if MLS conformed to how most of the rest of the world plays the game: single table, regular season champ, pro/rel.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM

There is absolutely no backing to that statement

Old 06-05-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
There is absolutely no backing to that statement
other than common sense right?

more of the country involved = more incentive to watch D1 even if your team isn't in D1.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:30 PM

so as you said absolutely no backing to your statement, right?

maybe just no understanding of the american sports landscape? how about business investments?

it's been beat to death .... but none of those ideas have shown any credible ability to boost interest in the league, if they did then maybe they would be implemented

Old 06-05-2013, 08:38 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,945,227 times
I'm sure more people would watch MLS games if MLS games came on consistently. As it stands, it's a lot easier to watch an EPL or La Liga game in the US than it is to watch an MLS game.

And I don't think doing things like having a single table, season champ, or relegation will help improve the game in NA. Russia is on the only other large country stretched across multiple time zones that I can think with a football league and even then most of it's clubs are concentrated in the eastern half. In the US you have a bunch of teams distributed across the country. While regular fans of football teams from other countries might understand, newcomers in the US will probably be turned off by no end of season drama or turned off when they see their team relegated to a DII league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.