Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 10:20 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
The USA wins and guess what...

most people still don't give a s--t!!! LOL

I saw the headline on Yahoo and said to myself, "There was a USA soccer match?" Soccer will never be popular here and some people just need to deal with that.
You're doing wonders for Kentucky stereotypes. Too bad you've spawned.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:43 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,257 times
On our 4pm edition of Sportscentre overhere the USA win was the top story and lasted for at least 10minutes.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:44 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,727 times
Soccer is one of the simplest sports possible. A child can play by kicking a can or a small ball around in the street, and laying down something on the road as goal posts. No membership of a club is required, and no expensive equipment needed.

This is why soccer is the world's most watched sport. IMO it is boring, uncomplicated and therefore hard to appreciate. It is by far, the most overpaid and publisized sport (making it irritating to those who don't watch it).

Old 06-25-2009, 08:22 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
The USA wins and guess what...

most people still don't give a s--t!!! LOL

I saw the headline on Yahoo and said to myself, "There was a USA soccer match?" Soccer will never be popular here and some people just need to deal with that.

Actually, people do care. I have had several people that dont follow soccer at all talk about the game and even watched it.

This isnt all about soccer, this is about our COUNTRY.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:56 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Actually, people do care. I have had several people that dont follow soccer at all talk about the game and even watched it.

This isnt all about soccer, this is about our COUNTRY.
Exactly. It baffles me that some are using one of this country's greatest soccer victories as a chance to bash the sport. If you want to hate soccer, fine, but support your country. I don't care about curling, but if the United States were to compete for the curling gold in Vancouver next year, you better believe I'll be cheering for the Yanks.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
IMO it is boring, uncomplicated and therefore hard to appreciate.
This is the dumbest assessment of the sport and I see it quite often. If it was not complicated, there'd be no skill required. This victory over Spain would not be so legendary because the game would just be a crapshoot anyway. Their ranking as #1 in the world would be bogus because any team can beat any other team, right? After all, according to your dumbass logic, it's just 22 guys kicking a ball around and hoping it goes into a net!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:11 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
This is the dumbest assessment of the sport and I see it quite often. If it was not complicated, there'd be no skill required. This victory over Spain would not be so legendary because the game would just be a crapshoot anyway. Their ranking as #1 in the world would be bogus because any team can beat any other team, right? After all, according to your dumbass logic, it's just 22 guys kicking a ball around and hoping it goes into a net!

Dumb logic? Football is uncomplicated because it has a relatively low number of rules in comparison to certain other major sports. Rugby or American Football for example, are very complex games that have a far greater number of rules and variables. Just think of the referees involvemement in those games compared to football. The same is true of Tennis or golf. The fact that football's main demographic is the uneducated lower class (certainly in Europe) only adds to this point.

Its probably safe to assume that you are part of this demographic as you a) clearly don't understand 'logic', b) by your own version of 'logic' construct a rebuttal that is deeply flawed in just that, and c) are so defensive about football!

Listen, complexity and skill are two different things. Somebody may be better skilled at throwing a ball at a target than I, but that is not to say that the action is 'complicated'. The best 'ball thrower' in the world maybe very skilled but that is just something that I wouldn't be interested in watching

Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
It's also really gay.
[youtube]IjynbUNlvWU/youtube]
YouTube - GAY SOCCER REFEREE
Christian fundamentalist are obsessed with gays. Like the the "God Hates ****" church of Fred Phelps.

Gay? (http://blog.kevinmeltzer.com/archives/Rex.jpg - broken link)
Gay? (http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2007-w45/img.68655_t.jpg - broken link)
Gay?

A complicated game is not more interresting to watch.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Dumb logic? Football is uncomplicated because it has a relatively low number of rules in comparison to certain other major sports. Rugby or American Football for example, are very complex games that have a far greater number of rules and variables. Just think of the referees involvemement in those games compared to football. The same is true of Tennis or golf. The fact that football's main demographic is the uneducated lower class (certainly in Europe) only adds to this point.

Its probably safe to assume that you are part of this demographic as you a) clearly don't understand 'logic', b) by your own version of 'logic' construct a rebuttal that is deeply flawed in just that, and c) are so defensive about football!

Listen, complexity and skill are two different things. Somebody may be better skilled at throwing a ball at a target than I, but that is not to say that the action is 'complicated'. The best 'ball thrower' in the world maybe very skilled but that is just something that I wouldn't be interested in watching
You judge the worth of a sport on the number of rules? That's ridiculous. If soccer introduces a blue line, kicking for touch, bases and an endzone, will you then love it?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:23 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Christian fundamentalist are obsessed with gays. Like the the "God Hates ****" church of Fred Phelps.

Gay? (http://blog.kevinmeltzer.com/archives/Rex.jpg - broken link)
Gay? (http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2007-w45/img.68655_t.jpg - broken link)
Gay?
Fail to see how being excited and taking your pads off after practice is gay.

When you sink to their level you are no better than them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.