Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 09:09 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
It has as many hardwoods as downtown Greenville? King Street doesn't have many trees.

There are palm trees along the road by the harbor. I find those to be ugly though. And some oaks down at the Battery.

It's been a fw years since I been down there but I dn't recall many trees in the market area or King Street. Those are the main areas.
I'm sorry, but you obviously haven't really spent time in downtown Charleston if you can't remember anything other than Market or King.

The green spots on Google maps? Those are trees.
Attached Thumbnails
Charleston vs Greenville for permanent relocation-peninsula.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:10 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,293 times
This is not to the OP. I would pick Greenville South Carolina in summer, and Naples Florida in winter.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:12 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Im beginning to think you've missed out on some major parts of the Charleston experience, or maybe just extremely biased. I don't think I've heard anyone say that palmetto trees near the harbor are ugly before. It's the state tree and everybody else seems to love the look. It's even on our flag.

Your right, King Street, the Market, most of East Bay don't have massive trees. Those are mostly commercial corridors however the majority of the city is covered in trees. Most people equate Charleston with Spanish moss covered oaks, crepe myrtles, and palmettos.
I do think for myself. I don't look to see what majority think about something first and agree with that. I have heard some friends and family members say the same thing though. I like hardwoods and evergreens and oaks. Obviously Charleston has oaks, more than most places. The main tree type in Charleston area is pine tree though.

The majority of the city covered in trees is the wealthy people area. Most people don't spend time over there. In contrast the main street in Greenville has a lot of trees, more trees than I've seen on most commercial areas in a downtown.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:13 PM

5,715 posts, read 4,682,005 times
All of the streets south of Broad have huge oaks that the streets are built around.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of cities that have architecture, mild weather (Greenville for example). Most any medium sized city has food and bars and party options. This isn't unique stuff.

The palm trees are part of the beach experience.

People who want to go to the beach but be near a real city go to Charleston.

I grew up in Columbia and went to college in SC. I went to Charleston a lot for spring break and summer break and it had nothing to do with the history.
Sure, if you're visiting in college you're probably there to get drunk, go the beach, and meet girls. Nothing wrong with that. But students are a small percentage of visitors to Charleston.

Why is Charleston unique? Take a date to the huge swinging chairs at Waterfront Park at dusk and watch the river and you'll understand. Charleston has atmosphere. It's harder to measure than the number of Cheesecake factories, but it's there. I mean, just look at some of the amazing courtyards behind those iron-wrought fences downtown. This place oozes uniqueness. Certainly nothing you'd find in Greenville. I'm not bashing Greenville, but have to emphasize that these cities have different strengths, regardless of your feelings.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
I'm sorry, but you obviously haven't really spent time in downtown Charleston if you can't remember anything other than Market or King.

The green spots on Google maps? Those are trees.
I"m talking about commercial area of downtown, not residential.

This would be like me trying to argue the Columbia downtown has a lot of trees because the residential area over in Shandon has a lot of trees, even though the VIsta is the commerical district and doesn't have many trees.

My perspective is from a person who doesn't live in downtowns.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
Sure, if you're visiting in college you're probably there to get drunk, go the beach, and meet girls. Nothing wrong with that. But students are a small percentage of visitors to Charleston.

Why is Charleston unique? Take a date to the huge swinging chairs at Waterfront Park at dusk and watch the river and you'll understand. Charleston has atmosphere. It's harder to measure than the number of Cheesecake factories, but it's there. I mean, just look at some of the amazing courtyards behind those iron-wrought fences downtown. This place oozes uniqueness. Certainly nothing you'd find in Greenville. I'm not bashing Greenville, but have to emphasize that these cities have different strengths, regardless of your feelings.
I never pointed to Cheesecake Factory as some big deal. I pointed out Charleston doesn't have something that you say is run of the mill chain. It is easy to understand that point, if you want to.

You were the one saying Greenville is vanilla. That definitely not how most people describe it.

I'll take a waterfall downtown over a river, and the river isn't really part of the downtown experience. The market area and king are kind of away from the river. Cities like Savannah and WIlmington are much more river front oriented than Charleston.

The waterfall in downtown Gville is right on main street.

I personally find the historical buildings in downtown Greenville more pleasing to the eye.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-12-2016 at 09:28 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 09:23 PM

5,715 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
I do think for myself. I don't look to see what majority think about something first and agree with that. I have heard some friends and family members say the same thing though. I like hardwoods and evergreens and oaks. Obviously Charleston has oaks, more than most places. The main tree type in Charleston area is pine tree though.

The majority of the city covered in trees is the wealthy people area. Most people don't spend time over there. In contrast the main street in Greenville has a lot of trees, more trees than I've seen on most commercial areas in a downtown.
There is just simply none of that that is true. Seriously. You're just digging this hole deeper and deeper.

Open up Google Maps. Look at downtown Greenville and downtown Charleston.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
There is just simply none of that that is true. Seriously. You're just digging this hole deeper and deeper.

Open up Google Maps. Look at downtown Greenville and downtown Charleston.
Ok, I just looked at King and the market area. Didn't see many trees.

Give me a specific intersection. Not in a residential area. There are some at the battery as I mentioned already and along east bay or whatever street.

The College of Charleston campus area has a lot of oaks if memory serves. But I dont think a lot of adults who visit downton are hanging out around COC.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:30 PM

My family's yard in the suburbs had 4 palmetto trees, 1 pine, 2 live oaks, 1 dogwood, 1 magnolia, and many others. The Lowcountry is hardly a "pine forest." Stop and smell the wysteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina