Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 10:59 AM

635 posts, read 754,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Dont ever tell someone to "get over it." You're supposed to forgive, but never forget.

Are Americans in 2201 supposed to have "gotten over 9/11?" When do we get over WWII and stop maintaining our memorials and holding a Memorial and Veterans Day?

Answer is never. 9/11, WWII, Great Depression, Civil Rights, WWI, Vietnam, Civil War, Sandy Hook, JFK and Lincoln assassination, Katrina, Pearl Harbor, BP spill, Slavery, etc: its burned into our history and will not, and should not ever be forgotten by any American: past, presemt, and especially future.
As a prior military wife and survivor of abuse, I did get over many horrific events in my life, whether it was being abused by certain people, seeing friends with missing limbs, or being on the airport tarmac to see an American flag draped coffin being taken off the plane because a friend was killed overseas. You DO get over it because you have to move on. I never said anything about not remembering those who have lost their lives. But no counselor will tell you to dwell on the past. Every single one of them will say you must forgive and move on. Otherwise, you'll be tormenting yourself with those emotions forever.

Why on earth are we still on this subject? It doesn't have anything to do with the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 03:57 PM

159 posts, read 125,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Step back in time is what I don't won't to remember as a black man. Not interested in seeing slave trade areas. I prefer something more modern. Also like the retail available up here.
I doubt Charleston is envious of Greenville retail.

Here is the real question...........why do people get so excited (Charleston) or upset (Greenville) over a magazine ranking?

Charleston is the coolest part of SC......but, best in the world???? No. Most people in Europe could not pick it out on a map.

Magazines are for entertainment.........anyone who puts too much emphasis on city rankings, college rankings etc......needs a hobby.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:05 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Gville people don't get upset if Charleston is listed and Greenville is not. there are often Charleston people who try to refute any list where Greenville is listed but not Charleston, even on threads in the Greenville forum.

i don't see what makes Charleston 'cool' in relation to other cities in the state unless you want to be near the beach or want to live in one of the oldest cities in the country. i like more modern looking cities with some old mixed in. Gvlle has a good balance.

in my view if charleston is not near the beach, there would be little interest in it for its history. it would be like richmond at best in that regard. i think a case can be made that Columbia is the most historic city in the state post american revolution give that is where the political decisions in the state are made such as withdrawing from the union. Sherman marched on Columbia after Augusta rather than Charleston because he saw it as the ground zero of the confederacy.

there are people in europe who say their cities are overrated and tout cities in US. everybody has their own opinion.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-09-2016 at 04:20 PM..

Old 07-09-2016, 04:25 PM

159 posts, read 125,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Gville people don't get upset if Charleston is listed and Greenville is not. there are often Charleston people who try to refute any list where Greenville is listed but not Charleston, even on threads in the Greenville forum.

i don't see what makes Charleston 'cool' in relation to other cities in the state unless you want to be near the beach or want to live in one of the oldest cities in the country. i like more modern looking cities with some old mixed in. Gvlle has a good balance.

in my view if charleston is not near the beach, there would be little interest in it for its history. it would be like richmond at best in that regard. i think a case can be made that Columbia is the most historic city in the state post american revolution give that is where the political decisions in the state are made such as withdrawing from the union. Sherman marched on Columbia after Augusta rather than Charleston because he saw it as the ground zero of the confederacy.

there are people in europe who say their cities are overrated and tout cities in US. everybody has their own opinion.
When I lived in Greenville, everyone at the Poinsett Club would trash a ranking that did not list Greenville. In fact, we actually worked very hard with the local ad firms to get on the lists. And, why not, it is free advertising and in some cases, it works.

Charleston is a cool city. Personally, I like Savannah a lot more.

Greenville is a nice city, not sure I would call it cool.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:27 PM

i like Savannah more as well due to the trees and the commercial district being more riverfront.

gville is listed in a ton of rankings so i doubt that is the case. if you look at Charleston, the stuff is more scattered across the downtown area, with the baseball stadium on the other side from the restaurants, for example. there are also a lot more college kids downtown Charleston which doesn't appeal to many adults.

obviously many people think it is cool and how many cities have a 30 drop waterfall right on Main Street with a nice park around it and a huge pedestrian bridge over it. Spokane WA is its only rival in this regard, and more impressive waterfall, but that is a cold place to live.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:00 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Everyone just needs to drop all the city bias and rivalries and be happy a fellow South Carolina city is on something positive.

Charleston was recently ranked 3rd for job prospects by Forbes. Greenville has also been ranked highly by Forbes the last few years. I've seen Columbia on there too. Louisiana meanwhile managed to get not 1, but 2 cities on worst end of the jobs list. Ultimately, does a Forbes article mean that much? No, but it's still a positive vs negative.

Whether you care about Forbes, T+L, CNN, Conde Nast, etc or not, just be glad we're being talked about in a positive light by these publications that people from all over read. Charleston gets ranks, Columbia, Greenville, Myrtle, Hilton Head, everybody gets subjective ranks for whatever. From best sidewalks to best city in the world. It's all harmless...

Old 07-09-2016, 05:01 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1995 View Post
Charleston is the coolest part of SC......but, best in the world???? No. Most people in Europe could not pick it out on a map.
I think the same can be said about Americans with many European cities. Obviously everyone knows London and Paris, but ask 20 people on the street where Prague, Vienna, Budapest are. They're pretty cool, doesn't mean they could be found.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:59 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
One thing about my Charleston friends, they absolutely believe it is the supreme city and metro of South Carolina. And you best not say otherwise, or you will have an serious debate on your hands. I can't even get these guys out the low country to explore other places, except Myrtle Beach. I'm prior military, so I have lived all over this great country in both small, large and big cities. I finally convince them to take a road trip with me to Chicago, a city that I lived in for 5 years. This was several years ago now, and I told them when that world famous skyline came into view, now this is a city. They really enjoyed it for about 3 days, then a few of them started getting a little home sick for Charleston, I couldn't believe it, and I'm talking grown people here.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:26 PM

93,356 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i like Savannah more as well due to the trees and the commercial district being more riverfront.

gville is listed in a ton of rankings so i doubt that is the case. if you look at Charleston, the stuff is more scattered across the downtown area, with the baseball stadium on the other side from the restaurants, for example. there are also a lot more college kids downtown Charleston which doesn't appeal to many adults.

obviously many people think it is cool and how many cities have a 30 drop waterfall right on Main Street with a nice park around it and a huge pedestrian bridge over it. Spokane WA is its only rival in this regard, and more impressive waterfall, but that is a cold place to live.
Rochester NY has a waterfall near its Downtown as well: High Falls - Rochester Wiki

Old 07-09-2016, 08:34 PM

there isn't a park around that one and i think the active area of downtown isn't next to it. that is why i didn't mention it. it is a 96 foot drop which is impressive.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-09-2016 at 08:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina