Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 05:41 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,102,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Have you considered that your son might need to be treated with a lot of medications with potentially serious side effects if he has to be hospitalized with flu?

Flu does not "mimic" a cold. If it were no more serious than a cold there would be no vaccine for it. Flu can kill.

How many parents have "invested" in "Big Pharma". How is your trust in "Big Homeopathy" a better decision than that of parents who choose to vaccinate? The risk from a flu infection is many orders of magnitude higher than the risk of the vaccine.

Vaccines have been shown to be safe and effective. Homeopathy has been shown to be no better than placebo.

Who here has confused influenza and norovirus?
Many here when I have read about the flu vaccine said they got it because they didn't want the vomiting and diarrhea, they don't even have a clue what the flu is that they are being vaccinated against. Geesh, put a little effort into knowing what one is subjecting themselves to! https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/faq-20058565 I just read their posts and figure they are hopeless if they haven't educated themselves any better than that. Too much time reading about celebrities or someone pooping on someone's lawn!

My son will be fine. I don't blindly follow the media when it comes to the care of my son. He has had superior health since we started avoiding big pharma and the medical machine - vessels for profit!

"Vaccines have been shown to be safe and effective".

https://www.naturalhealth365.com/big...ines-1696.html
Vaccine Side Effects: What Every Mom Should Know. - AGE OF AUTISM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1c1akKIPuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od-rCZkGrBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kiUgJAxAZ0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes. I know a man who is sterile because he had mumps; not measles, but still, point is that these diseases can cause life long damage. Still, if someone is really anti-vax, I guess they can skip their shots, but I would urge anti-vax parents to at least consider giving their children the polio and meningitis vaccines. The complications from those diseases can be horrific.
The flu is not a "disease".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
IDK, call me crazy, but I don’t see the wisdom of my kids living in 2017 settling for the best the 1930s has to offer. For one thing, my oldest would have been institutionalized back then, instead of instead of being on the junior high honor roll. My youngest, if he even survived birth, probably wouldn’t have lived to see his 5th birthday. I cannot imagine a mother 100 years ago dreading the prospect of Science preventing disease and death in her small children.
You mean before autism was an epidemic, the 1930s? So, you would have institutionalized your child in the 1930s? Oh, my! See that is the problem with following the herd when it comes to making decisions. Had my child with Down syndrome been born in the 1930s, he would have remained at home with us, not institutionalized as we don't follow the herd mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Since the flu vaccine is said to only be around 10% effective this year I'd say that it's not worth the risk.
I doubt whether they ever really knew how effective it was or not in reality. Fewer than 1/2 are getting the flu vaccines now. The great thing about the internet is that more people have access now and can be informed and able to intelligently separate themselves and their family members from the herd mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
While vaccine effectiveness can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm
The thing is, we don't get the shot, and we don't get the flu. So, less than 50% get the shot and maybe 40% of them don't get the flu?

Quote:
When I was 17, I had flu and mono at the same time. I was in the hospital and almost died. The illness got so bad it caused problems with my liver. I developed what's known as flu-induced hepatitis. (And no, this isn't the same thing as Hep C which is a communicable liver disease).

Anyway, I was disappointed to learn that this year's flu shot is only 10% effective. I got the shot and was hoping it would offer more protection. That's the only real problem I have with the flu vaccine, is that it only protects against certain strains of the flu. But I don't see any real serious risks involved with getting the shot.
I do see serious risks, no one in our family will get one EVER. Also: flu-induced hepatitis? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1606546/ It seems quite involved as to how that comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I had asian flu when I was 18 and I'm 79 and no flu since and NO VACCINES....I may have had a couple in my 30's-40's I don't remember exact age, but do remember the asian flu.

I'm one who works on prevention and keeping my immune system strong and I don't think that's true for most here who applaud the vaccines.

Again, do what one is right for their mindsets. And science, good grief, there are so many scientists and all have different opinions.

Work on all the sugary stuff the children are consuming. Sugars don't strengthen the immune system.
Yes, everyone should educate themselves and make an informed decision. It does just make me when they link articles from the CDC, yeah, they will tell it like it is, NOT!

Foolish to Trust the CDC on Vaccines

Can We Trust the CDC? British Medical Journal Reveals CDC Lies About Ties to Big Pharma

Seriously, people need to spend some of the time on the internet not reading about Trump and celebrities and give educating themselves for making decisions about the health and well-being of their family. Letting others think for you never works out very well, especially when $$$$$$$$$ is involved!

Two senior adults, one adult with DS, and two larger senior dogs 12+ (only getting rabies vaccines) and no prescription meds, no health issues and NO flu shots. I think I'll just blow off the CDC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 06:39 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Did they have a choice?

Intussusception can be clearly diagnosed with imaging studies & within hours. Having a twisted & telescoped bowel is a horrifically painful condition & the symptoms are so intense there is really no mistaking it for anything else.

It is not injured brain tissue caused by an antibody/immune response dictated by tiny genetic codes deep inside your DNA that initiate months of developmental regression.
The vaccine monitoring process did identify the correlation between the vaccine and intussuception and further study confirmed causation.

If there sre "tiny genetic codes deep inside your DNA that initiate months of developmental regression" then that regression is eventually going to happen whether or not there is a vaccination.

Quote:
Hmm. The chart is a legal document.

If a doctor is finding it impossible to accurately document every single aspect of an encounter that occurs during their allotted 10 minutes of billable time per patient?

Maybe they need to be in-serviced by some RN's, because we've been doing it electronically since the 1990's, for every patient & for up to 12 hours straight.
The purpose of the chart is to store information useful in the care of the patient. It is not primarily intended as a legal document. The psychiatrist I mentioned only records what he needs to remind him what is going on the next time he sees the patient. His patients share a lot of information that they really do not want to be written down, especially in an electronic format that can potentially be hacked.

In addition, your electronic record makes it very easy to "document" things that were never done. Just click the wrong box.

Quote:
SIDS really isn't a "thing" ... it's an event that defies the presence of any known medical/clinical process.

Saying that: "Babies dying without explanation within 48-72 hours of Immunization is a coincidental correlation" ... Is not reassuring to a parent. Not to me, at least.

Because it's sort of like saying "I have lung cancer & I've always smoked!" Or; "I drive recklessly, never wear a seat belt, crashed my car & now I'm a paraplegic!"
It's an event for which the mechanism has not yet been defined. That does not keep some anti-vaxers from trying to scapegoat vaccines for it.

Quote:
Something more effective, from the standpoint of a parent of a child with Autism, might be:

"I had no prenatal exposure to vaccine's, including Rhogam, had a home birth to ensure that there was no immediate dose of Hib given & have not immunized my child at all & he was diagnosed with Severe Regressive Autism (not HF) anyway, after his 3rd birthday but before his 5th!"
All you have to do is compare vaccinated kids and unvaccinated kids. It's been done. Vaccinated kids are no more likely to develop autism than unvaccinated kids.

Quote:
Didn't the study involve over 1,800 children? And the "handful" of children were the African American children? In a study conducted in Atlanta...
Yes, the findings that Thompson quibbled about concerned about a half dozen black boys. The conclusion of the lead authors (of which Thompson was not one) was that the increased risk for that small number of boys was due to their having been vaccinated when they were in order to participate in programs for children with autism. They already had been diagnosed with autism before they were vaccinated.

Perhaps you can tell us how a vaccine could travel back in time and cause autism.

Quote:
I was not aware that Thompson has admitted to being wrong about the study. How does a CDC Senior Scientist misinterpret his own study, anyway?
Thompson has not said a word since he issued a letter through his attorney several years ago. He has not admitted he was wrong. He was, though. Outside review confirmed the conclusions of the original article. It was not "his own study". He played a rather minor part in the research.

Quote:
Regardless, I don't really give a rats a$$ what the numbers said. What is epically concerning is a bunch of CDC Senior Scientists huddled around a trash can in a locked office at night, destroying documents from a study because they even thought that the results might indicate a risk.
No study documents were destroyed. What went into the trash can were things like meeting agendas that had no further usefulness and drafts. Medical research generates tons of paper that is no longer needed after the paper is written. All of the study data had been digitized. The CDC will provide that to any bona fide researcher who wants to review it. There was no conspiracy to conceal anything. You can read Thompson's rescued documents on the internet. There is nothing there.

The ironic thing is that all of the conspiracy theorists who yammer about that study are ignoring the fact that it showed no increased risk for black girls or white boys or girls. They are left with trying to propose a plausible mechanism that would cause only black boys to be affected. There is none.

Quote:
Dravets is one of seven SCN1A-related seizure disorder phenotypes involving an incidence of 1 per 15,700 births. Compared to Autism at 1 out of every 68.

And, studies have identified this phenotype as being present in anywhere from 27-78% of children diagnosed with post-vaccine encephalopathy & seizures.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1318/.

Again; as a parent; this is hardly reassuring.
Post vaccine encephalopathy happens so rarely the incidence is hard to define. It's probably on the order of 1 in a million doses. That means that the gene defect you are describing would be a factor in less than 1 in a million doses of vaccines.

The risk of your child being severely injured riding in a car to your doctor's office is far greater.

Quote:
So if you knew that your child had the mutation ... would you introduce the trigger?

Why aren't all children tested for these mutations as part of the newborn screening protocols?
Perhaps screening for Dravet's will be added to the neonatal panel at some point. The usual question concerns whether it would be cost effective; the rarer the condition is the more it costs to find a case.

Any fever can trigger seizures in Dravet's. That means vaccine preventable diseases can do it, too. The current recommendation is to vaccinate children with Dravet's.

https://thinkgenetic.com/diseases/dr...ving-with/1263

Quote:
Wait ...! How could I have missed this? So they are testing for genetic pre-dispositions & medically exempting those from immunizations who have them? No. They are not.

Which means we have "eliminated measles and eradicated smallpox and are on the verge of eradicating polio" ... at their expense.

Just how un-common would they have to be to call this scenario "fortunate"? Oh ... We don't know. Because we are not even testing.
At whose expense? You are not making sense. If herd immunity had been disrupted it would not be possible to eliminate or eradicate a vaccine preventable disease. Since we have already done that, herd immunity has not been disrupted. The biggest threat to herd immunity is not vaccinating.

No, there is no routine testing for genetic mutations because they have to be identified first and the cost of testing every baby for hundreds of them would be cost prohibitive.

Quote:
I don't care about his science background. I am intrigued by the fact that a Kennedy has said there is a government cover-up going on.

If I'm going to find any politician mouthing off about a government cover-up as valid? Yeah; it would probably be a Kennedy.
There is no coverup. No conspiracy. It was all made up by a bunch of anti-vaxers.

Quote:
I think that the evidence that physicians ... & yourself ... follow? ... Is wrong & you know that.
Believe what you wish. There is no way the conspiracies you envision could exist when millions of physicians and researchers around the world would have to participate.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:23 PM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
That poster was referring to measles and mumps (not the flu), which are serious diseases caused by a virus.

Quote:
The thing is, we don't get the shot, and we don't get the flu.
We didn't get the flu, either....until one year, we did, and it was so bad that we now get the shot every year....and haven't had the flu since. (Although anecdotal evidence means little.)

Quote:
Yes, everyone should educate themselves and make an informed decision. It does just make me when they link articles from the CDC, yeah, they will tell it like it is, NOT!
Yes. We should. And avoid crowded places like this one, below.
Vaccine refusal helped fuel Disneyland measles outbreak, study says - LA Times

Old 12-05-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Many here when I have read about the flu vaccine said they got it because they didn't want the vomiting and diarrhea, they don't even have a clue what the flu is that they are being vaccinated against. Geesh, put a little effort into knowing what one is subjecting themselves to! https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/faq-20058565 I just read their posts and figure they are hopeless if they haven't educated themselves any better than that. Too much time reading about celebrities or someone pooping on someone's lawn!
Link to the posts where people are conflating flu and diarrhea? I do not see it here.

Quote:
"Vaccines have been shown to be safe and effective".
Yes, they have.

Quote:
Yes it is. It is a disease caused by the influenza virus.

Quote:
I doubt whether they ever really knew how effective it was or not in reality. Fewer than 1/2 are getting the flu vaccines now. The great thing about the internet is that more people have access now and can be informed and able to intelligently separate themselves and their family members from the herd mentality.
The "herd mentality" is falling for anti-vax propaganda.

Quote:
The thing is, we don't get the shot, and we don't get the flu. So, less than 50% get the shot and maybe 40% of them don't get the flu?
No one ever gets the flu ... until he does. All it takes is touching the wrong doorknob and then rubbing your nose.

Quote:
I do see serious risks, no one in our family will get one EVER. Also: flu-induced hepatitis? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1606546/ It seems quite involved as to how that comes together.
The article is talking about flu infection, not the flu vaccine

Quote:

Foolish to Trust the CDC on Vaccines

Can We Trust the CDC? British Medical Journal Reveals CDC Lies About Ties to Big Pharma

Seriously, people need to spend some of the time on the internet not reading about Trump and celebrities and give educating themselves for making decisions about the health and well-being of their family. Letting others think for you never works out very well, especially when $$$$$$$$$ is involved!

Two senior adults, one adult with DS, and two larger senior dogs 12+ (only getting rabies vaccines) and no prescription meds, no health issues and NO flu shots. I think I'll just blow off the CDC!
Yep, Dr. Sircus and Health Impact News. Great, unbiased sources! Not.

Sircus is an acupuncturist. An expert on vaccines he is not.

The nuts at Health Impact News are the ones blaming shaken baby syndrome on vaccines.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:04 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Quote:
I would like to know, other than vaccines, what are some ways to prevent the flu? Aside from the obvious - washing hands and using hand sanitizer.

Would taking Vitamin C help?
You might want to check out the alternative health forum. There are a couple of good threads about maintaining one's health during the flu season.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
That poster was referring to measles and mumps (not the flu), which are serious diseases caused by a virus.
Yes, correct, that's what I was referring to when I mentioned diseases. Measles and mumps can have lasting health consequences, so I get my kids shots for those.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
I would like to know, other than vaccines, what are some ways to prevent the flu? Aside from the obvious - washing hands and using hand sanitizer.

Would taking Vitamin C help?
I take at least 1000 Vit C daily.

My major go to antioxidant is grape seed extract which I've taken for 22 yrs...

And during flu season I keep Oscillooccium (Oscillo) on hand for just in case, and start it if any signs
of flu. Works every time.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
On Cochrane reviews:
Jefferson's contacts with the anti-vax community suggest that Cochrane reviews on flu vaccine need to be done by someone else. You often accuse pro-vax sources of being biased. Sorry, but Jefferson's bias against flu vaccine is clear.
More biased blogs? You have no room to complain about anyone's sources. Yours are the absolute worst.

Jefferson is a respected epidemiologist. The findings and conclusions stand to this day. Because they did not support what the industry wanted, you and your blogger friends go out of your way to attempt to malign him.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
More biased blogs? You have no room to complain about anyone's sources. Yours are the absolute worst.

Jefferson is a respected epidemiologist. The findings and conclusions stand to this day. Because they did not support what the industry wanted, you and your blogger friends go out of your way to attempt to malign him.
Please point out exactly what is biased in anything I have posted. Be specific please. I showed how Jefferson biased his Cochrane study by saying there were no good studies for young children and flu vaccine when there are such studies.

I used a reference written by a practicing infectious disease expert. You called it propaganda. The ball is in your court. Debunk what Dr. Crislip said.

Here's some more:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/flu-vaccine-efficacy/

"If you realize that medicine is subtle and nuanced, and often the answers are filled with qualifiers and uncertainty, that the practice of medicine is messy, I think the answer is that the flu vaccine is of benefit. And that the more people who get the vaccine, the greater the benefit for everyone. You do not know how much it pains me to quote Donald Rumsfeld, but he was partly right when he said 'You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time.'

It is true in medicine as well. My army is the vaccine and the data used to support it. You can conclude that neither the vaccine nor the data is perfect, and decide the vaccine is not useful.

Or you can look at the preponderance of data, with all the flaws, nuance, subtleties and qualifiers, and conclude the flu vaccine is of benefit. The vaccine decreases the probability of morbidity and mortality. It is a good thing."

Old 12-05-2017, 09:28 PM

I posted a very credible source regarding flu vaccine studies and I'm not at all interested in engaging with your spin machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children