Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 03:00 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times

Advertisements

It's as boring as hell, certainly club matches.
Strangely I can watch a world cup final, but that is about it.
When you have 4 different football codes like down here, it is impossible to like all of them

Old 12-14-2016, 03:54 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
I laugh at the claim that we don't like soccer because we don't understand the nuances while also claiming that baseball is boring without understanding that it too is full of nuances that are facinating to baseball fans. I think soccer fans also do not understand how pompous they sound when they try to push a sport with 0-0 games as superior and we are wrong for disliking it because we just don't understand. That right there creates a lot of the "hate".

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 12-14-2016 at 05:07 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 06:38 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I just can't watch it. It is literally like watching paint dry. It obviously takes athletic skill, but it is not intellectual and it just seems like its on a lower level than sports like football or baseball. It is boring in the same sense as hockey. Lot's of movement, but nothing is happening. It's kind of a game for the proles. And we see that in the fans also when they kill each other and crush each other at times during an "important" match. Ridiculous really. And not suitable for the American spirit or sense of life. It belongs in Europe and South America, it fits the collectivist mentality.

The only reason it has been gaining popularity here is that we have been importing, illegally in many cases, populations from other countries who are bringing it here with them. Otherwise it wouldn't have a chance on its own.
Wait, WHAT? How are soccer and hockey not intellectual? Have you ever watched a hockey power-play? Do you seriously think (hockey and soccer) these guys are just moving around at high speeds without any pre-discussed tactics? In football, a play is discussed in the huddle, and all players do as they're told. There isn't much "intellect" required beyond that. I'm not sure what you mean by "not intellectual."

Old 12-14-2016, 07:31 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I hate it because it's so boring. Thankfully, my kids didn't take to it, because those poor soccer parents seem to get the absolute worst weather to sit through....in NE Ohio anyway.

I'd go past the soccer fields and see the games going on during drizzle and cold weather, and count my blessings.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:47 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
Futbol is the most popular sport in the world, BY FAR. There's nothing wrong with the sport, rather than something wrong with the country who"hates it"

Old 12-14-2016, 08:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why do some people hate soccer?

I'll never understand it .... I hate people in every sport, but how can somebody hate a sport?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXfkeB09vso
Simple. This moke hates the fact that it is "football," unless you are American, and that it is waaaaay more exciting than American football...with its endless time-outs, etc.

As for the other "haters," probably just some kind of weird sports jingoism.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:15 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It's popular in collectivist-statist countries where people are unfamiliar with and uncomfortable with INDIVIDUALISM AND FREEDOM. Especially South America and Europe. But in America we have a different and better value system. Which is why baseball and football are so popular here. They are team sports of course, but the individual is highly prized and highly rewarded and highly VISIBLE. In fact, the games are structured for individual excellence.

Soccer is dullsville. You've seen one game, you've seen them all. Boresville. Paint drying. Change the channel please.

You mean like in the UK, Germany or France - duh! Obvious troll post here!

Old 12-14-2016, 08:21 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I don't "hate" soccer, I just don't enjoy watching it very much. The main reason is that for someone used to a game like football where explosive plays are rather common, soccer has a lot of down time where guys just kick the ball around mid-field trying to save energy.

You also have the reality that in soccer most of what happens doesn't affect the outcome. The matches come down to the one guy that makes the most of his touch and gets it past the goal keeper. There is also the mentality that a 0-0 game is an OK outcome. I like defense in most sports, but soccer teams frequently don't play to win, they play not to lose.

It isn't like I don't try. I watched nearly all of the last World Cup final and enjoyed watching the quality of the athletes, and the continuous pace of play. But, sure enough, I had to slip out of the house for 10 minutes, and that is when the one goal that determined the match was scored.

Here would be this American's suggestions

1. Eliminate the offsides call, this would space the field and help eliminate the mass of humanity that crowds around the goal whenever the other team gets close and makes scoring so difficult.

2. Get rid of shoot-outs. It's like ending a football game with a field goal kicking contest, or a basketball game with a free throw exhibition. Keep playing the normal game until someone scores, if it takes 5 hours, then maybe teams will start to be a bit more aggressive with their tactics. Shoot-outs reward lesser teams for going into a defensive shell and holding out for higher variability in results the shoot-out rules provide. It isn't fun to watch a team refuse to try and score in the hope the keeper will guess wrong and jump out of the way of 4/5 of your shoot-out kicks.
Hmm yes lets change the rules of the worlds most popular sport (by far) so that people from one country might like it better, doesn't make much sense to me.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:28 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Hmm yes lets change the rules of the worlds most popular sport (by far) so that people from one country might like it better, doesn't make much sense to me.

Actually, one of WestSideBoy's suggestions, to get rid of the shootout, would be a return to tradition. The shootout was added precisely to eliminate "nil-nil ties" and the like, which American sports fans hate.

I recall back in the 70's when the Pele and the NASL were popular, some German working-class coworkers grousing about "that stupid shootout".

Old 12-14-2016, 09:33 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
No reason to hate it. Many in this country just don't understand the game and have grown up with other sports.
Just because someone doesn't enjoy the same things as you do doesn't mean they don't understand it. I have a understanding of soccer, and find it boring.
On the other hand, I have friends that I've introduced to Hockey, which they knew 0 rules going in, that they immediately enjoyed the sport.
I know people who grew up playing baseball and don't really watch much, they understand the game, but don't watch on TV (Baseball live games are great).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports