Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 01:42 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
LOL...hooligans by any other name
Sure, that would never happen in a football game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Houf6HYyF4w

Old 12-14-2016, 01:44 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The MLS is not a major sports league.
This year, MLB revenues grew by 1 MLS. ($500M). Its a degree of magnitude beneath the other 4.
41 Million people watched the World Series Gm 7, 1 Million watched the MLS Cup.
I didn't say it was, I said soccer was a major sport in America now. It's the #1 youth sport and total TV viewing when you add the English Premier League (and other domestic leagues worldwide), the Champion's League, the World Cup, the Euros, Copa America, US Men's team matches, etc. is big and growing.

None of the other sports can match soccer for growth rates. And soccer passed hockey overall long ago. Even in Canada hockey is losing market share to soccer.

Last edited by Back to NE; 12-14-2016 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: gg

Old 12-14-2016, 02:10 PM

483 posts, read 533,025 times
Personally I like the world cup, I think it is probably the most exciting world sports event due to the level of play and the national egos involved. I like the sport too, especially the fact that there are aren't constant breaks in the action for commercials. But try as I might, I just can't get into the MLS or the Euro leagues, I just don't have the emotional investment in it. I also think that hockey is a faster, tougher, better rules version of basically the same game.

Part of the reason that a lot of Americans dislike soccer, in my opinion, is that the Americans that do like can be a bit obnoxious and preachy about how it is so superior and have a tendency to watch to differentiate themselves from what they consider the unwashed mainstream American masses.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:14 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Do you know what Brownian motion is? It's the random movements of microscopic particles suspended in a fluid. Picture watching popcorn pop in a transparent container.

That's pretty much what watching soccer is like. You know where the players need to get the ball: down to the end, where the goal is. What happens, though, is that they mosey this way and that way, they get closer to the goal, then they wander across the field or move farther away again. Every so often someone kicks it all the way out of the end zone or out of bounds and then they throw the ball back on the field.

All this time are they getting any closer to the object of the game, which is to put the ball in the net? Very, very rarely.

It's not just the low scoring, although it's even easier to lose interest once one team has built up an insurmountable 1-0 lead, it's the pointless, random motion around the field.

That's why I don't like watching it.
See, but it's not pointless by any means. Do you really think a team can rush forward the entire time? Any opposing team would be able to easily defend that, and then scurry the other way through a defenseless field (since all of your guys were too busy pushing the offense.) It's an extremely tactical sport. Similarly, in hockey, you pass the puck back in order to open up the ice, reset plays, etc.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:25 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
Personally I like the world cup, I think it is probably the most exciting world sports event due to the level of play and the national egos involved. I like the sport too, especially the fact that there are aren't constant breaks in the action for commercials. But try as I might, I just can't get into the MLS or the Euro leagues, I just don't have the emotional investment in it. I also think that hockey is a faster, tougher, better rules version of basically the same game.

Part of the reason that a lot of Americans dislike soccer, in my opinion, is that the Americans that do like can be a bit obnoxious and preachy about how it is so superior and have a tendency to watch to differentiate themselves from what they consider the unwashed mainstream American masses.
You'd think you'd like a league in Europe then just because of the play. The WC is fantastic because of the national ego's as you call it, lots of rivalry to hype the games. Personally I think players are tired by then so the spectacle itself isn't always the best. Maybe try watch the bigger rivalries that are on TV or the derby matches.

MLS is hard to get into because of the quality of play and the MLS forced rivalries as I think they are but its a decent league once you get into it.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:29 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
Ninety minutes of almost constant movement, having to think on the fly without taking a break and talking about what the next play is gonna be. Yeah, it's just too much for some to follow.
You are right, the average American sports fan will never get it. As to American Football, it should be renamed Handball because 99% of the time players use their hands.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:38 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
another resurrection of a; wahhhhh, why doesn't the US embrace soccer thread?

Old 12-14-2016, 02:47 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You'd think you'd like a league in Europe then just because of the play. The WC is fantastic because of the national ego's as you call it, lots of rivalry to hype the games. Personally I think players are tired by then so the spectacle itself isn't always the best. Maybe try watch the bigger rivalries that are on TV or the derby matches.

MLS is hard to get into because of the quality of play and the MLS forced rivalries as I think they are but its a decent league once you get into it.
We got into MLS when Orlando City started here. Sure, some of the play gets a little sloppy, but it's exciting to watch nonetheless, especially live. The energy and atmosphere at the stadium is insane.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:49 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I didn't say it was, I said soccer was a major sport in America now. It's the #1 youth sport and total TV viewing when you add the English Premier League (and other domestic leagues worldwide), the Champion's League, the World Cup, the Euros, Copa America, US Men's team matches, etc. is big and growing.

None of the other sports can match soccer for growth rates. And soccer passed hockey overall long ago. Even in Canada hockey is losing market share to soccer.
In what world? the NY Rangers+ Boston Bruins ~= MLS revenue, and there are 28 other teams in that league.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:54 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Soccer: Game of Drones

Sports reflect the underlying societies. Societies that emphasize individual rights and freedom are superior to societies that support collectivism and statism. Sports that appeal to a superior society are going to reflect the same values of individualism and individual excellence within the team concept. Soccer is a game of drones. A worker bee ant colony type of game. Utterly boring, but appealing to worker bee societies and banana republics where the state and/or the church are supreme and the individual takes a back seat to the mob.

20 minutes of American football is more interesting than every soccer match ever played.
Which 20 minutes? The 20 minutes they actually play. Each quarter they stand around for a total of 10 minutes, catching their breath, discussing the next play, delaying the game as much as possible to avoid exhaustion. Those delays and breaks are also needed to run ads, and give the fans a chance to go to the bathroom, get a hot dog, or grab another beer. Half of these superior individuals (fans ?) are legally drunk when they leave the stadium to drive home.

BTW, I have never played football (handball), but acquired enough knowledge to understand and appreciate the game for what it is. I never miss watching the Steelers or Patriots when their games are broadcast on TV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports