Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 09:33 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
the level of diving that occurs on the pitch. It's embarrassing to most athletes to see grown men wallowing around on the ground pretending to be in pain and then just jumping up like nothing happened. Take the hit like a man and get up.
This pretty much and H played soccer in HS and college. He won't watch it sans a few world cup games. I tried watching but the frequency of players writhing around in pain clenching a body part only to spring up a few seconds later and run like the wind the rest of the game was off putting. Also for those accustomed how other sports are broadcast soccer doesn't always translate as well on tv.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:58 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Lol soccer is the most popular sport in the world as in on the Globe. The MOST POPULAR and that's a fact. It doesn't matter what a few sour puss think, they can't change that.
It's popular in collectivist-statist countries where people are unfamiliar with and uncomfortable with INDIVIDUALISM AND FREEDOM. Especially South America and Europe. But in America we have a different and better value system. Which is why baseball and football are so popular here. They are team sports of course, but the individual is highly prized and highly rewarded and highly VISIBLE. In fact, the games are structured for individual excellence.

Soccer is dullsville. You've seen one game, you've seen them all. Boresville. Paint drying. Change the channel please.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:00 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,048,399 times
Now baseball is BOORRINNGGG.......but I don't "hate" it. Those guys should be the least paid players in any sport. Don't they just sit around in the bull pen chewing gum/looking bored for like 75% of the game? And what's with the random player talking on the bull pen phone? Who are they talking to?

Old 12-13-2016, 03:08 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why do some people hate soccer?

I'll never understand it .... I hate people in every sport, but how can somebody hate a sport?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXfkeB09vso
Why do you interpret this clip as hate?

It was clearly meant as theater for entertainment purposes, and indeed very funny.

On the serious side, established US sports need a propaganda arm to help protect their market share.

Very simply really.

Nothing personal, it's strictly business.

But if you want to make an emotional complication about it, go ahead, you fuel the propaganda arm, as also by design. You fell for the bait.

Personally I appreciate soccer players for the physical condition, basically marathon runners who happen to kick a ball around. And it's good for young people for a similar reason: low-cost, relatively low-injury way to keep in shape.

But for professional entertainment purposes, no match for the NBA and NFL, that latter also in terms of quasi-military strategy.

Good luck with soccer becoming a major professional sport in the US. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:35 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,357,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It's popular in collectivist-statist countries where people are unfamiliar with and uncomfortable with INDIVIDUALISM AND FREEDOM. Especially South America and Europe. But in America we have a different and better value system. Which is why baseball and football are so popular here. They are team sports of course, but the individual is highly prized and highly rewarded and highly VISIBLE. In fact, the games are structured for individual excellence.

Soccer is dullsville. You've seen one game, you've seen them all. Boresville. Paint drying. Change the channel please.
This is the most ignorant thing I've read all month. Not one single point in this post is valid or makes sense. Not even one! . I want to apologize to Europeans and South Americans because the poster is clearly very clueless about soccer (football) but feels the need denigrate the sports because "seeing one game means you've seen it all" and apparently the fact that the game is the most popular in the world including Mexico and third most popular in Canada, implies that everywhere but the US is uncomfortable and unfamiliar with individualism and freedom. And I forgot to add that our value system is better than the rest of the worlds...of course....So dumb!

Old 12-13-2016, 06:14 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It's embarrassing to most athletes to see grown men wallowing around on the ground pretending to be in pain and then just jumping up like nothing happened. Take the hit like a man and get up.
For us it s mainly this .. well it IS this . Husband played Rugby in Holland for years and thinks its ridiculous , I cannot tell what is real or not having come from a family of both college and 2 NFL players .

If it is that bad you stay down or have to leave the game .

Old 12-13-2016, 06:18 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Probably because it's so low-scoring.

The short-attention-span crowd loses interest without regular scores of some sort.
So then how do you explain the popularity of baseball and hockey?

Old 12-13-2016, 06:20 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,401 times
https://youtu.be/5BEji7tC1RY

This shows you how "tough" soccer players are(not). Funny...

Old 12-13-2016, 07:47 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,429 times
It's fairly insulting to say, 'people don't understand it' thus don't like the game. The game is very easy to understand, perhaps that's part of it's popularity...see how insulting that kind of speak can be? Understanding has zero to do with disliking the game. I understand soccer and don't like it.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:19 AM

681 posts, read 1,206,933 times
Ninety minutes of almost constant movement, having to think on the fly without taking a break and talking about what the next play is gonna be. Yeah, it's just too much for some to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports