Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:48 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,656,546 times

Advertisements

Thanks, man! There's nothing like personal experience to clarify things! That's where charts can't compare. A rep point is on its way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmana View Post
Just so everyone knows, the 2007 ice storm was nothing like anything we've had before. I've lived here all of my life. The only other time I remember being out of power for more than a few hours due to ice was in 1987. It was not even close to being like the storm of 2007. That was the worst thing anyone around here has ever lived through... my grandmother included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 07:40 PM

19 posts, read 55,069 times
Ironicly we had some freezing rain today, but it wasn't enough to cause any major problems. It left a light coating of ice on trees and the grass, but roads were fine. Bridges were a little slick, I heard. We might get some more rain overnight and early tomorrow but our high tomorrow is supposed to be 42 so there won't be any lingering effects. This is typical of any winter storm. Most of the time it will melt within a few days, if not the next day.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:46 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manmana View Post
Ironicly we had some freezing rain today, but it wasn't enough to cause any major problems. It left a light coating of ice on trees and the grass, but roads were fine. Bridges were a little slick, I heard. We might get some more rain overnight and early tomorrow but our high tomorrow is supposed to be 42 so there won't be any lingering effects. This is typical of any winter storm. Most of the time it will melt within a few days, if not the next day.
I have to laugh again, manmana! Now I have a personal story that makes today's weather sound worse than your post suggests. I'm always reminding people that everything's relative so here's our story...

I walked out to the garage today and noticed the ice crust covering my car and went on to see icicles hanging all over. Even the side of my home was covered in ice so I called my husband, who was working in Springfield, and suggested that he might want to be careful as he was heading out to lunch. I even suggested he head home early because the ice was very slick on our rock steps and deck and I figured it wasn't going to get any better as the day went on. Well, he walked out to his truck and found it covered in ice, as well, so he took my advice and headed home.

His heater works in his truck but the defroster doesn't work very well. It seems that as quickly as he would scrape off all the ice off the windshield, it wouldn't take long before it would ice over again, even with the windshield wipers running! He left but headed right back to the jobsite to pour some more (cold) water on it. He filled up a bucket with water and headed out again, stopping at least once to clear the window again. At one point, he said that he was almost at a curve in the road when the window covered over again. He put his hand on the glass which warmed it up just enough that it cracked when the wipers passed over and he could see to make the curve. Then, he pulled over at a gas station and poured water on it again.

It would be helpful to remember that we're out in the country so he had to keep in mind that some of the roads might not be as highly traveled and therefore, could be icier. At any rate, I "prayed him home" and we continued to pray for the safety of others who would be on the roads getting home as the afternoon and evening progressed. People here are no different than in CA when it comes to driving in bad weather...so many of them won't slow down and don't seem to give enough of a "space cushion" between them and the car in front of them!

So, yeah...it's nothin' like what we went through in January 07...but for that short space of time this afternoon, it was bad enough to make it memorable for us.

By the way, you're gonna havta tell us sometime how you came up with that "name" of yours! Oh, and welcome to the forum!

http://mediaphoto.doctissimo.fr/dossiers/t/a/tartalacreme/grands-smileys/TN-2525-hiver1.gif (broken link) MrsG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area