Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:58 AM

52 posts, read 165,553 times

Advertisements

Wheel....
As a non-mormon, and a poster on this site for over 2 years, I feel your pain. However, saying that, I have lived in St George for over 2 years and it really isn't an issue. The group at Wendy's I wouldn't take personally. The lady at the gas station is a bit off setting, but not the norm. St George is a great place to live! There are lots of things to do and no crowds on Sundays! Its easy to get caught up in the feeding frenzy of mormon/non-mormon. Don't do it! You can have yukkie neighbors anywhere, just here, they won't steal your stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 07:53 PM

9 posts, read 31,014 times
Thanks..And if I was raising a family or was in retirement... I'm pretty sure I would have moved there...As I said I love the area..

But it was the lack of adult entertainment that was the deal breaker, I think..

Old 02-01-2010, 04:21 PM

6 posts, read 13,293 times
Default Practicing catholic children?

We are practicing catholics, will my children be excluded because of this??

Old 02-01-2010, 09:02 PM

9 posts, read 31,014 times
Based only on what I have read.,, Here mostly,.. It seems the hardest on the kids...

Old 04-17-2010, 01:17 PM

5 posts, read 21,381 times
Moving to st george in 6months we have motorcycles dirt only and love to ride off road as much as possible are there places to ride there???

Old 04-18-2010, 09:43 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillymarie View Post
Moving to st george .....are there places to ride there???
Anywherearound ST. George .... almost ....anywhere ....

Old 04-18-2010, 05:33 PM

5 posts, read 21,381 times
Thanks for the info on riding... What about horses do alot of people around there have horses...We are looking for land around that area just wondering if it is animal friendly????

Old 07-08-2010, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 16,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjazzlover View Post
I grew up in Utah as a non mormon and was discriminated against all my childhood life because of this fact. All those people care about is their "temple marriages", how many baptisms for the dead they can do and whether or not the men in the family hold a position in the bishopric of their ward. Women are treated like second class citizens and are only considered baby making machines. Remember the more kids you have the higher in heaven you go. Growing up in and living in Utah was the worst experience in my life. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. If you aren't Mormon you will be considered an outcast. Your children won't have friends or date because you aren't Mormon. They will also bombard you and try to get you to convert. You should watch the Godmakers Part I and II to understand the religion as a whole. If you can avoid Utah as a whole, you should do so. Don't make the same mistakes my parents did.
wow. i used to be that bitter. Now i feel like you can choose to hate it or not. I live in CA currently (lived all my childhood in Ut) and wouldn't wish Bakersfield on my worst enemy, there is crime and gangs and tons of illegal immigrants. i pay a crap load in utilities and taxes. My advice is to get your kids involved in a church of your belief and make sure they get involved and make friends that are like them. being a non mormon kid in utah can be very lonely so get them involved in stuff. we are looking into moving to st. george and we have 3 kids, i pray that they will have an easier time than i did but at least it will be safer.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:21 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,455 times
I was considering moving to somewhere like Cedar City, but after reading all this, I don't know. I'm an atheist and not a weak one either. To quote a great line from the movie Quills,

"Why should I love God? He strung up his only son like a side of veal. I shudder to think what he'd do to me. "

I read here and heard other sources that life is pretty tough for non-Mormons in Utah. What would it be like for someone like me, 62 and alone? The reason I'm considering Utah is because of its second to none natural features and dry, but not bitterly cold climate in areas like Cedar City or St. George. Plus, there are no In-N-Out Burgers where I live now

Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
I was considering moving to somewhere like Cedar City, but after reading all this, I don't know. I'm an atheist and not a weak one either.
Yeah, it would probably suck for someone like you.

Quote:
I read here and heard other sources that life is pretty tough for non-Mormons in Utah.
Ever heard of a self-fulfilling prophesy?
Quote:
What would it be like for someone like me, 62 and alone?
Well, SouthernBell could probably tell you. She was nearing retirement age when she moved here alone a few years back, not knowing a single solitary soul. She's not an atheist as far as I know, but she's not religious either. On the other hand, she's really not much like you at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George