Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 PM

25 posts, read 84,371 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what you hate about St. Louis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 05:09 PM

78 posts, read 241,415 times
First off, I want to say I really love St. Louis. But, after living in Seattle for a few years, I really wish they would ban smoking in bars and restaurants.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 PM

200 posts, read 632,948 times
I really dislike the lack of diversity compared to other cities, it's pretty much a black and white town

Old 01-14-2009, 07:09 PM

272 posts, read 786,675 times
Speaking of St. Louis County... Too many municipalities with their own police forces. These tend to be much less professional than the St. Louis County PD that patrols the unincorporated areas. There are more speed traps in St. Louis County than any other county I've lived in the USA. It's not that they nail people racing through their towns, but pulling people over for minor speeding just to pad their municipality's coffers. Worst offenders: #1 - St. George. They even made the national news with their cop's bullying. A close second is Bella Villa.

Every time I visit and drive from the airport on 170 it seems like St. Ann has someone pulled over. Where I live now it's illegal for any cop other than the highway patrol to run radar on interstates.

St. Louis has good cops; the County's are top notch. But Maplewood? Kirkwood? Valley Park? Sunset Hills? I'm sure there are decent cops on these police forces but if you have a small town with a large police budget, the only way to balance it is by running a speed trap. That's not about public safety - it's about extorting money from strangers who don't know the area.

One more thing I hate about St. Louis: the political division between county and city. This pretty much has strangled the city, and I don't see it as benefiting the county all that much either.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 01-14-2009 at 08:39 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Hate - too strong of a word... disappointed, frustrated, saddened, disturbed - that be more of what I feel. In no order:

1. StL has a great history, wonderful people, cool geography, a rich culture - but its spit away too much, too often due to the inept so-called leaders of the city, county, and region. You have, for example, this mighty awesome river, and a rich historical landing area, even a modern stainless steel world-famous arch structure,,, yet, there is little, way too little 'life' to the downtown area that encompasses or adds to the river. I-55/70 ditch kills any interaction between the two. Besides the grounds of the Jefferson Expansion Memorial, no place to really sit on the banks of the Mighty Mississippi, enjoy an impromptu picnic.

2. The BS between the city and the county - that MUST end, otherwise this cruddy mess of little progress in the region will have so much harder time ending, if ever.

3. The Cardinals - yes, I love 'em, big fan, have admired many that have been associated w/ the team, from the Gas House Gang era to Stan the Man to Lou Brock to Whiteyball to Pujols, etc.... but good gosh, there is also a hockey team here [granted, they're currently hurting, have not made the playoffs since their first years, and are in midst of a rebuilding period (again - but this time in a much better plan/way,,, I hope )] and even when the Blues are in the playoffs, what is on the front mast of the Post-Disgrace paper? Cardinals - in spring training...

4. The sad state of affairs between the cities that share same name, looking across the river from each other. I was actually hopeful at one time years back, when EStL was doing some interesting work along their riverfront, but alas its backburnered, dead, forgotten, going nowhere it seems, at least to much extent...

5. The crime, the stupid waste of property and human lifes...

Off top of my noggin at the moment, those are some of the main items.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
Not much I hate about the city, but every city has pros and cons.

I hate the crime, but that happens in any city. I hate the crime in my little town also.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 PM

711 posts, read 2,108,206 times
I hate that our police force is so under staffed.

Other than that, I more hate citizens of St. Louis county who go off to Chicago, and come back talking about how St Louis has nothing going on so they want to move to Chicago...but they have lived in Chesterfield their entire life and have come to the city for nothing more than a Cardinals game.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
The street system seems a bit convoluted, but that is also a reason for some to like it I guess.
Crime and a lot of really bad, run down areas.. a sight too common in many cities around the region.
The Cardinals, and their goofy, forever red-clad fans who used to flock to KC to see what a real baseball stadium looks like. Now they flock to KC because it's easier to get tickets than at that new-fangled park in St. Louis. Well, now we're getting our own revamped-fangled park in KC, along with a slowly-but-surely improving team... then at some much-improved point, Royals fans will come out of the woodworks for sure, like they always do during the slightest signs of a winning streak. Good luck getting your tickets then.
Other than that, it's an okay town.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:35 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times
Winter.

They are horrible here. We don't get much snow, but the temperatures are only a little bit better than Minneapolis, Green Bay, Chicago, etc.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
Winter sucks here & too many structures are made out of brick.

Besides that, it ain't bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis